• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ande Whall Denim

SeanUCSB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I've finally got my first pair of Ande Whalls

Just got my first pair of Ande Whalls:

Ande put some thought in to potentially using some AI denim, so I basically purchased his sample pair.

The cut I chose was "Slacker" in attempt to achieve a fit similar to a "Grifter" after a soak. The "Slacker" cut has a little extra room in the rise, which will shrink during the soak.

The construction of these jeans is exceptional. You can tell that there is a lot of care that went in to making these. I decided to post detail shots (and yes, I know they are large), because I think the details are the best part about these jeans.

Do you know if there are any others, or if Ande is planning to make a run of these? They are beautiful!

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
There are currently 3 AI Ande Whalls out there; one owned by Ande Whall, one owned by his denim supplier and one owned by myself.

I'm sure if the interest is there, he would do a run. Your best bet is to send him an email.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone educate me what is this AI denim. IS it the same as the 15.5 oz which is on pre-order ?

BTW, RD, your jeans are smashing

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just popped in to say that Ande is the best to work with, and his denim just OOZES class and is absolutely top tier in terms of quality and fit.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Can someone educate me what is this AI denim. IS it the same as the 15.5 oz which is on pre-order ? BTW, RD, your jeans are smashing
Ai denim is hand-dyed (of generally natural indigo, though they don't necessarily go hand in hand) and has a really nice, uneven color (as in, each of the warp threads is a different color since it's yarn dyed). The brands I can think of that have done runs of Ai denim are Sugarcane, Samurai, Pure Blue Japan, Oni, Studio d'Artisan, 45RPM, and KMW. You can find a bunch more info if you google for Ai denim (or just do a Superdenim search) And no, the 15.5/13.5oz denims are not the same as the denim above. Raoul, how much did those run you if you don't mind me asking? PS: Why did Ande get rid of the chainstitching, sad times

Whiskey

Reaction score
^ the chain stitching has been gone for a while now. I think the roping that he put in the hems has to do with it

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
To add to KitAkira's great post, the AI denim Ande used is 18oz and is not the same as his current offerings.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
With the day off work today, I decided to take a couple fit pictures. They look a little odd because they aren't really falling naturally right now. Once the soften up, they'll look better. Once again, these are "Slackers":
IMG_0797-1.jpg
IMG_0799-1.jpg
IMG_0805-1.jpg

mr. burns

Reaction score
wearing the t-shirt ande sent me when i needed replacement hardware plus my cougars.

629.jpg

keikun13

Reaction score
Is new denim that Ande is using as streaky as it seems to be? I'd really like to get my hands on a pair of the 15.5oz that he has available for preorder, but I don't really like streaky denim.

jdluu

Reaction score
After owning a pair of Ande Whalls for about 5 months (I only wore it equivalent to maybe a month), I hot soaked my rakers yesterday for about 3 hours. Then, during the last 20 - 30 minutes of the soak, I decided to add near boiling water from a pot into the container in order to compensate for the lack of visible starch... However, to my ignorance, I later read that using boiling water can damage and weaken the fibers of denim, can 30 minutes really do much damage? Is it really anything to fuss over? i mean i just don't wanna end up with a premature crotch rip due to weakened denim fibers caused by boiled water....
rolleyes.gif
+
ffffuuuu.gif

All in all though, the soak really made it easier for me to stretch the jeans to a comfortable fit; took me half a day to get a comfortable fit post soak than I've been able to during a months worth of wear.

masterllama

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jdluu
After owning a pair of Ande Whalls for about 5 months (I only wore it equivalent to maybe a month), I hot soaked my rakers yesterday for about 3 hours. Then, during the last 20 - 30 minutes of the soak, I decided to add near boiling water from a pot into the container in order to compensate for the lack of visible starch... However, to my ignorance, I later read that using boiling water can damage and weaken the fibers of denim, can 30 minutes really do much damage? Is it really anything to fuss over? i mean i just don't wanna end up with a premature crotch rip due to weakened denim fibers caused by boiled water....
rolleyes.gif
+
ffffuuuu.gif

All in all though, the soak really made it easier for me to stretch the jeans to a comfortable fit; took me half a day to get a comfortable fit post soak than I've been able to during a months worth of wear.

won't really do much but even if it did, there isn't anything you can do now to change it
puzzled.gif

jdluu

Reaction score
Yeah, exactly what i thought but I'm just a really paranoid person and I worry a lot, but i'll get over it. haha.
It is really unbelievable how much softer the denim is after the soak and wear, though. But most likely gonna pick up another raker as my next and only future pair of jean when these retire in a few years. (Hopefully by that time with non-contrast pocket stitching!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads