• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An SF lesson learned....

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Thanks fellas, that would have kept me up all night with worry.

No problem. I hope someone would show me the same courtesy if I had made such a mistake.
laugh.gif

amadar

Reaction score
^^^oops.....while I was typing that I guess it was already explained...good to know I'm agreed with though
smile.gif

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
So a few days ago I stumbled across a pair of shoes on the bay that piqued my interest. They were dirt cheap, and likely to stay that way given the descriptions of the shoes by the seller. Also, there was about 1 day left on the auction and the page only had 20 or so views.

Since I am a size 13, I thought it would be safe to come on here and post a link to the auction asking for a general consensus on whether the shoes were worth purchasing, assuming the unlikeliness of a fellow bigfoot stumbling across my thread. Whoops.

Although I only received a few replies in the SF thread, the page view for the ebay item jumped from 20 to about 150 in the span of one day, and lo and behold, I was outsniped.
plain.gif

Now of course I don't know for sure that an SFer outsniped me. But I think the chances were pretty good.

Firstly, SF has some kind of PSA for ebay shoes favoured here. So that pair of shoes would be within the SF radar, unless the seller mis-spelled the name of the shoes and you somehow chanced about it.

Secondly, ebay buyer patterns are weird. Not too long ago, I saw a rare shoes going for 500. No one bid for it even though it was up for 1 week. I thought I was on to a bargain (which goes to show my mentality if a 500 pair of shoes are a bargain), only to see a frenzy of bids within the last 5 to 10 min and it was gone. For 700 I think.

This has happened at least twice for shoes I was watching, although I have seen advance bidding as well.

Too bad ebay decided to keep the identity of bidders a secret, because in the past, you can tell who the pranksters who keep jacking up the prices are.

OakCliff

Reaction score
Sorry you got sniped on eBay, but at least you are size 13 and you shouldn't have trouble finding great deals in the future.

amadar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCliff
Sorry you got sniped on eBay, but at least you are size 13 and you shouldn't have trouble finding great deals in the future.

This sounds like a statement someone with a guilty conscience would make........

I was convinced you were the culprit until I checked your stats.
laugh.gif

OakCliff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
This sounds like a statement someone with a guilty conscience would make........

I was convinced you were the culprit until I checked your stats.
laugh.gif

Being a size 9/9.5, I always seem to come across great shoes that are either really big or really small. I'll pm you if I come across any great deals in size 13.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads