• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An interview

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done and done, the old video is now back on Keikari.

I inquired from Baker's about their oak bark leather soles a few weeks ago. I was interested in buying a few units for re-solings and my own tests, this is what I received:

'Further to your email of 19th February, we do supply cut soles. Our minimum order is £500 ex tannery.

We assure you of our best attention.
Yours,
Andrew Parr'

As for pricing:

'BEST GENTS CUT HALF SOLES
8/8 ½ iron 9/9 ½ iron 10/11 iron
Size 9 £6.25 £6.50
Size 11 £6.45 £6.65'

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is a bold statement... but it sounds to me like this may be just as big of a case of trying to "pull the wool over the eyes" of consumers as gemming is.  Granted, gemming failure is a much larger issue than a sole simply wearing more quickly.  However, there seems to be a general belief out there that while oak bark tanning is the best method, it is also readily available, and that JR is the biggest supplier of said leather.  Check out these sites when you have a few minutes just to name a few. 

http://www.lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/1/company-profile/

http://dieworkwear.com/post/12840207540/the-beauty-of-oak-bark-tanned-leather

http://leffot.com/2008/06/28/oak-bark-leather-what-is-it-exactly/

I am disappointed to hear that many companies claiming "oak leather" soles are in fact not really that.  I wonder if companies using valona are claiming their leather to be oak bark tanned since it is "oak in origin" and they are just comfortable with the deceit, believing that customers will never know the difference. 

The first link says this: "[COLOR=FF0000]Nature supplies the main ingredients for the tan mixture used in traditional oak-bark ground-tanning; primarily oak, spruce and mimosa bark as well as valonea fruit[/COLOR]. "

On the other hand, I could be wrong...all I know is what I have been told about Rendenbach since time out of mind and what my experiences with it has been. I do have preferences.

Then too, things do change.

Beyond that, "spin" is the way of the world. Nothing surprising there. It's why ignorance is the primary killer of white anglo-saxon males under the age of 60. :cool:

--

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Done and done, the old video is now back on Keikari.

I inquired from Baker's about their oak bark leather soles a few weeks ago. I was interested in buying a few units for re-solings and my own tests, this is what I received:

'Further to your email of 19th February, we do supply cut soles. Our minimum order is £500 ex tannery.

We assure you of our best attention.
Yours,
Andrew Parr'

As for pricing:

'BEST GENTS CUT HALF SOLES
8/8 ½ iron 9/9 ½ iron 10/11 iron
Size 9 £6.25 £6.50
Size 11 £6.45 £6.65'

Great! Glad it's back...I look so young and buff in it.

The HCC has on several occasions created Buyer's Consortiums (we are a non-profit) to buy from Baker. and while the management has always been courteous and genial and we have always gotten our orders (and they've been correct) it is still like pulling teeth. Sometimes months go by just trying to finalize the order and have it recognized.

That's just the way it is, I guess. Nevertheless I will forever be a fan and consider it the premium insole leather in the world.

--

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first link says this: "Nature supplies the main ingredients for the tan mixture used in traditional oak-bark ground-tanning; primarily oak, spruce and mimosa bark as well as valonea fruit. "

On the other hand, I could be wrong...all I know is what I have been told about Rendenbach since time out of mind and what my experiences with it has been. Then too, things do change.

Beyond that, "spin" is the way of the world. Nothing surprising there. It's why ignorance is the primary killer of white anglo-saxon males under the age of 60.
cool.gif

Ahh, thanks, I missed that link.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mind you...I'm not saying Rendenbach is junk ...if there were no Baker, I would probably like it better (except for insoling).

I used it for years...as it is readily available in the US (unlike Baker)...but quit it because of the branding and when a Belgian chestnut tannage became available.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind you...I'm not saying Rendenbach is junk ...if there were no Baker, I would probably like it better (except for insoling).

I used it for years...as it is readily available in the US (unlike Baker)...but quit it because of the branding and when a Belgian chestnut tannage became available.

Yeah, that makes sense.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I was recently asked to do a long distance interview with a gentleman--Mr. Ville Raivio--who operates a blog out of Finland addressing classic men's styles. The interview arose just as he is taking the blog international.

Some of his previous interviews have been with Bernhard Roetzel, G. Bruce Boyer, Karl Matthews, Alan Flusser, Will Boehlke and Luca Rubinacci , among others. And while those names don't mean much to a rather isolated, semi-retired old snab such as myself, the names will resonate with core Style Forum members, I'm sure.

It occurred to me that some here might enjoy it--KEIKARI.COM 24 Feb.2013
Phenomenal interview. A great craftsman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads