• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An eBay case: I throw myself at the mercy of the SF jury

chet31

Reaction score
It was my understanding that the only feedback that "counts" towards a seller's feedback rating is the first one - positive, neutral, negative.

Then the categories that follow, shipping costs, description, etc. are only for the seller's edification. Is this incorrect?

wizard7926

Reaction score
OP, you had a right to complain and I think every person here would be 100% on your side - if only you'd just taken your steps in a different order.

Your order: Buy suit, notice length, drop at tailor, leave feedback, THEN contact seller.
Correct order: Buy suit, notice length, CONTACT SELLER, discuss options, resolve, leave feedback.

By dropping the pants at the tailor before the seller has any chance to offer you a resolution, you completely tie his hands and leave him very limited options - and indeed, you come off as a scammer based on the way you handled the situation. In all respects, you closed the sale by accepting the pants as too long and paying for tailoring, therefore, expecting the seller to give you money for said alterations is extremely passive aggressive and he is under zero obligation to even humor you.

It seems like you're genuinely regretful and got a good flogging already, so just make sure that you take the right steps next time so you don't come off like a scam artist jerk who sullies good sellers' feedback.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was about a suit you paid $30 for? $30? You spent a couple of HOURS communicating back and forth with the seller (writing those 10 paragraph treatises) , then spent MORE TIME putting together your post here. THEN, MORE TIME reading & responding to this thread.

WOW! Life's too short to waste your time on such trivial things ($30???).

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chet31
It was my understanding that the only feedback that "counts" towards a seller's feedback rating is the first one - positive, neutral, negative.

Then the categories that follow, shipping costs, description, etc. are only for the seller's edification. Is this incorrect?

This is incorrect. The categories that can be rated on a scale have an effect on the seller's relationship with ebay and can affect listing fees, item placement, search result listing, and other considerations.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wizard7926
OP, you had a right to complain and I think every person here would be 100% on your side - if only you'd just taken your steps in a different order.

Your order: Buy suit, notice length, drop at tailor, leave feedback, THEN contact seller.
Correct order: Buy suit, notice length, CONTACT SELLER, discuss options, resolve, leave feedback.

By dropping the pants at the tailor before the seller has any chance to offer you a resolution, you completely tie his hands and leave him very limited options - and indeed, you come off as a scammer based on the way you handled the situation. In all respects, you closed the sale by accepting the pants as too long and paying for tailoring, therefore, expecting the seller to give you money for said alterations is extremely passive aggressive and he is under zero obligation to even humor you.

It seems like you're genuinely regretful and got a good flogging already, so just make sure that you take the right steps next time so you don't come off like a scam artist jerk who sullies good sellers' feedback.

How would you suggest I deal with a seller who sold me a condo that had an incorrectly measured dining room?

wizard7926

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
How would you suggest I deal with a seller who sold me a condo that had an incorrectly measured dining room?
Not even remotely the same idea.
eh.gif

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, I can't believe I read two pages of this thread! It has re-affirmed my thoughts that some (if not many) SF users are complete morons/assholes. The OP wasn't (at least, intentionally) being a jerk! Granted, he miss-spoke one or twice; 'thoughts?', and 'you sellers' were pretty douchey-sounding lines, but the genuineness of the OP should re-assure you that he's not a bad guy. Some people just can't read people/between the lines. He wrote quite civilly and well, it was the eBay seller who turned the dialogue sour with his 99.9 to 0.01 ratio thing! Shame on all of you saying you'd block him, if you knew his ID! Yes, he shouldn't have sent the trousers to the tailors/hinted for the $10/20. Yes, he has too much time to write up here, and (although, I can understand marginal disappointment/stress) should chill/chalk it up.

Sorry if this comment comes in mid-thread, as I said, I only read two pages. (And no, I shouldn't have to read them all.)

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

Definitely not contacting the seller after you already paid and started remodeling.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Lol, I can't believe I read two pages of this thread! It has re-affirmed my thoughts that some (if not many) SF users are complete morons/assholes. The OP wasn't (at least, intentionally) being a jerk! Granted, he miss-spoke one or twice; 'thoughts?', and 'you sellers' were pretty douchey-sounding lines, but the genuineness of the OP should re-assure you that he's not a bad guy. Some people just can't read people/between the lines. He wrote quite civilly and well, it was the eBay seller who turned the dialogue sour with his 99.9 to 0.01 ratio thing! Shame on all of you saying you'd block him, if you knew his ID! Yes, he shouldn't have sent the trousers to the tailors/hinted for the $10/20. Yes, he has too much time to write up here, and (although, I can understand marginal disappointment/stress) should chill/chalk it up.

Sorry if this comment comes in mid-thread, as I said, I only read two pages. (And no, I shouldn't have to read them all.)

This post has failed. Try harder.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
[eBay] It is the only business model I am familiar with where the company screws over the only customer they have, in this case the seller, at every chance they get.
Apple? Duh!
Originally Posted by acridsheep
This post has failed. Try harder.
*jerking off

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Like harvey_birdman said, the feedback that actually counts with respect to Ebay are those other ratings.

(Of course amassing a large number of negative feedbacks in a short period of time can also be hazardous to your relationship with Ebay.)

Originally Posted by chet31

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
This is incorrect. The categories that can be rated on a scale have an effect on the seller's relationship with ebay and can affect listing fees, item placement, search result listing, and other considerations.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member