• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What's so special about ambrosi pants compared to other trouser makers?

He puts in a little more handwork than other trouser makers, and has some interesting styling details. I mostly like him for the way he cuts trousers though -- the fit is nice and slim, with a slightly higher rise. He also does pleats very well,

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He puts in a little more handwork than other trouser makers, and has some interesting styling details. I mostly like him for the way he cuts trousers though -- the fit is nice and slim, with a slightly higher rise. He also does pleats very well,

Thanks for the insight, will you continue to use him or are you satisfied with a cheaper (ie NSM) maker given the experience? Also, do you think he will be able to maintain his current travel schedule? He seems to be all over the place with a frequent travel schedule. I think he's going to wear himself out.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the insight, will you continue to use him or are you satisfied with a cheaper (ie NSM) maker given the experience? Also, do you think he will be able to maintain his current travel schedule? He seems to be all over the place with a frequent travel schedule. I think he's going to wear himself out.

I'll probably use both. Ambrosi doesn't have a flat front pattern for me right now anyways, so I'll have to go somewhere else for those.

I obviously don't know if he'll be able to keep up his travel schedule, but he's been traveling like this for years.

TimelessMan

Reaction score
I guess going through the truck show which will make sure the pents arrive has it cost.....
but for 8800 rmb.....thats like 30% more than Armoury ? But Yes, there are enough rich Chinese gentleman that could provide the demand.

Did Timelessman blogger recieved his pants...yet... ?
I did, last week.
The trousers are perfect, the wait was frustrating but we got there in the end.

jedwards

Reaction score
Lovely trousers, but, nevertheless, unremarkable?

I completely get that if one is using a travelling Neopolitan suit tailor, it makes sense to ask "Hey could you use Ambrosi to make the pants"... what I don't get is this thing of travelling half way around the world for trousers and then waiting the best part of a year for them... Sorry I MUST be missing something here and I have done some pretty eccentric strange things to get hold of clothes myself.

To be clear, I am * not * casting any kind of aspersion on Mr. Ambrosi's work, it all looks great, as much as one can 'ooh and aah' over a pair of pants ... It's more the iGents I don't get who are going to such extreme lengths for a pair of pants. (?)

Last edited:

SeamasterLux

Reaction score

I completely get that if one is using a travelling Neopolitan suit tailor, it makes sense to ask "Hey could you use Ambrosi to make the pants"... what I don't get is this thing of travelling half way around the world for trousers and then waiting the best part of a year for them... Sorry I MUST be missing something here and I have done some pretty eccentric strange things to get hold of clothes myself.

To be clear, I am * not * casting any kind of aspersion on Mr. Ambrosi's work, it all looks great, as much as one can 'ooh and aah' over a pair of pants ... It's more the iGents I don't get who are going to such extreme lengths for a pair of pants. (?)

I can only speak for myself but amongst all the trousers I've tried, there are none that come even close to both the comfort and cut I obtained with Ambrosi. Now that's only me and I certainly can't say it's a general rule.
Just that even Camps de Luca, Gieves & Hawkes and all the other tailors I've tried, including Italian ones, aren't bringing me the same thing.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can only speak for myself but amongst all the trousers I've tried, there are none that come even close to both the comfort and cut I obtained with Ambrosi. Now that's only me and I certainly can't say it's a general rule. 
Just that even Camps de Luca, Gieves & Hawkes and all the other tailors I've tried, including Italian ones, aren't bringing me the same thing. 

In an earlier post you said you couldn't justify the cost of odd trousers from Ambrosi when you get a pretty good fit from Luxire. Why the change of heart now? I don't see the value in odd trousers that are bespoke if you can get them made to measure for a decent price and good fit.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
In an earlier post you said you couldn't justify the cost of odd trousers from Ambrosi when you get a pretty good fit from Luxire. Why the change of heart now? I don't see the value in odd trousers that are bespoke if you can get them made to measure for a decent price and good fit.

That's exactly what I thought at that point in time. The main reason being that all my bespoke trousers (mainly part of bespoke suits) were not very impressive or did not justify the additional cost.

It took me one try with Ambrosi to change my mind. These are the only bespoke trousers for which I can justify to myself what I paid for them.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
You and I have vastly different definitions of the word "perfect"

Come on guys, give the man a break. Garments have to be worn to know how it feels like. A picture only says a bit and depending on the angle, the resolution, the posture, it can also not serve its purpose of showing of how great a pair of trousers or a jacket is in reality.

I think you simply cannot tell anything from this picture.

Absolutely right. And that's often the case. One can judge the composition of an outfit but the exact fit and comfort are difficult to determine with a picture (except if it's vastly too large or too tight).

Last edited:

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's exactly what I thought at that point in time. The main reason being that all my bespoke trousers (mainly part of bespoke suits) were not very impressive or did not justify the additional cost.

It took me one try with Ambrosi to change my mind. These are the only bespoke trousers for which I can justify to myself what I paid for them. 

Have you can considered sending in your Ambrosi to Luxire to have them copy it?

I believe member @emptym sent in his Ambrosi trousers to Luxire, perhaps he can comment on how successfully they duplicated the fit.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come on guys, give the man a break. Garments have to be worn to know how it feels like. A picture only says a bit and depending on the angle, the resolution, the posture, it can also not serve its purpose of showing of how great a pair of trousers or a jacket is in reality.

Yeah; my favorite though is when people try to assess the fit of shoes over the internet (with pictures). :lol:

Have you can considered sending in your Ambrosi to Luxire to have them copy it?

I believe member @emptym sent in his Ambrosi trousers to Luxire, perhaps he can comment on how successfully they duplicated the fit.

I wouldn't do that for a variety of reasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads