• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering shoe width?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to alter the width of a shoe? Let's say, to take it from a D width to maybe a B or C? I just recently starting buying some "nicer" shoes than I used to, unfortunately I got a little ahead of myself and didn't properly measure my foot before I started purchasing online. I'm now realizing that a narrower width fits me much better than a standard width. The shoes I have fit OK if I put some inserts in there, so I don't need to throw any of them away, but I would really love it if there was some way a cobbler could make a D width shoe a little skinnier to fit my narrow foot. Possible or not?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Is it possible to alter the width of a shoe? Let's say, to take it from a D width to maybe a B or C? I just recently starting buying some "nicer" shoes than I used to, unfortunately I got a little ahead of myself and didn't properly measure my foot before I started purchasing online. I'm now realizing that a narrower width fits me much better than a standard width. The shoes I have fit OK if I put some inserts in there, so I don't need to throw any of them away, but I would really love it if there was some way a cobbler could make a D width shoe a little skinnier to fit my narrow foot. Possible or not?

It's somewhat possible. You won't be able to go from a D to a B. You might be able to go from a D to C. You can for sure got from a D to a "C and a half". There have been a number of long threads on this topic in the past.

You can find my posts in those threads for more information.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can't make a shoe narrower, unless you totally take the shoe apart, re-last it over a narrower last and then re-make it (put a new, narrower sole on). It will be totally uneconomical.

All you can do use inlay soles to reduce the volume somehow. Once the shoe needs re-crafting, some, but very few, factories are willing to re-last over a narrower fitting. (Even then there are potential problems, as the pattern might not fit anymore.)

Bentley

Reaction score
Is it possible to stretch a shoe's width to a larger size?

What about length? Can you stretch a 9.5 to a 10?

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
You can't make a shoe narrower, unless you totally take the shoe apart, re-last it over a narrower last and then re-make it (put a new, narrower sole on). It will be totally uneconomical.

All you can do use inlay soles to reduce the volume somehow. Once the shoe needs re-crafting, some, but very few, factories are willing to re-last over a narrower fitting. (Even then there are potential problems, as the pattern might not fit anymore.)

Sounds like it probably wouldn't be worth it for me then, I'll just stick to the extra insoles for now. Good thing I didn't spend too much yet...the most expensive shoes I bought were some Peal suede captoes from BB at 65% off. I really wish they fit better, but with the insole they're still wearable.

Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Where is the shoe too loose? Heels can be fixed by using heel cups. Pieces of leather that take up a little of the room in the heel. Toes... not so much.

The shoes are mainly too loose right in the middle, where the laces are. If I lace them as tight as possible, I can still feel my feet moving around a little bit inside the shoe.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
The shoes are mainly too loose right in the middle, where the laces are. If I lace them as tight as possible, I can still feel my feet moving around a little bit inside the shoe.

Side to side, or up and down?

If up and down, you can try a tongue pad, they're really cheap. Free at some places. Its a piece of felt with adhesive on the other side, just stick it to the shoe tongue.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Side to side, or up and down?

If up and down, you can try a tongue pad, they're really cheap. Free at some places. Its a piece of felt with adhesive on the other side, just stick it to the shoe tongue.

It's a little too big side-to-side. I actually just used one of those foot measuring things at a shoe store, and it definitely looks like my foot is really on the narrow end of the spectrum. But I can try out the tongue pad as well...if it holds my foot in place it will probably help a little bit.

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr. Demento
Just buy the shoes in person and stop trying to save a few dollars with this stupid online buying of shoes esp. on junk markets like ebay.

An immature post.... but as it is about your tenth 'narky' post today, I assume you are only here to troll.

Have fun
sarcasm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics