• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations

oldskool

Reaction score
So my RL flat front flannels arrived, and they are great. Slim cut, taper at the cuff. Hip, hip, hip... only problem is, my hips. Taylor is charging me $42 to let out the crotch, hem and waist. I had no idea that crotch alteration even existed. I usually think waist and hem when I bring in pants. However, my tailor just showed me that quality pants in fact leave extra fabric at the crotch as well for adjustments. I just went to my closet: by god all the pants have adjustable crotch seams.... who knew? So, for my big restaurant meeting, in keeping with the rec's here, I am going with the Tod's chelsea boots purchased at the Barney's sale for 1/2 off, the RL pants 1/2 off on polo.com, and a slim fit black cashmere v-neck sweater over a white t-shirt, with a black belt. The t-shirt rather than a white dress shirt someone here said has more edge. Commnets on that would be most helpful. My girl thinks a funky collared shirt such as Paul Smith or the like would be more appropriate for a downtown dinner.
dozingoff.gif

paul44

Reaction score
Ah, the "fork" alteration, in addition to the seat and waist alterations.  Indeed.  I get it every time, it seems.  (Wide hips/forward hips.)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I think the v-neck over t-shirt thing has about as much edge as a flat soccer ball. Anything promoted for years by the Gap automatically loses all 'edge'.

I always try to wear collars personally. I think most people look better in them, and I am sure I do.

mrprlover

Reaction score
Id avoid the white-t as well. Anythin but a white t. Do you have any colored T's?

any collared shirt would fare better than the t.

e

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My girl thinks a funky collared shirt such as Paul Smith or the like would be more appropriate for a downtown dinner.
Try the Paul smith under the black cashmere V-neck. Viola.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I think the v-neck over t-shirt thing has about as much edge as a flat soccer ball. Anything promoted for years by the Gap automatically loses all 'edge'.

I always try to wear collars personally. I think most people look better in them, and I am sure I do.
I like my white tees under my RLPL cashmere v-necks, at the same time I wear white tees under all my sweaters, its part of my style, I never wear another color, if I know the tee will show. Well, except on white, black-striped RLPL Cotton v neck sweater, cus either black or white work.

Jon.

linux_pro

Reaction score
I always have to get the crotch brought in a bit. Most slacks come from the factory (even the Barberas, Icontex, Brionis) looking like slouchy pajamas in the butt and crotch areas. I hate that. Looks sloppier than hell. I have a great tailor here in Seattle who will do all the alterations on my pants for $19, with about 3-4 day turnaround (I always give her at least a $20 tip though, it's just so cheap). She's friendly, she's Italian, and she does some of the best alterations work I've ever seen. Heh heh. If you're in Seattle, and you need a good tailor, go to Mario's on 3rd & Stewart (the tailor, not the store). I have no idea why I'm always trying to sell other people's stuff. Point is, yeah, good slacks can be adjusted in the crotch area. And it definitely makes for a much sharper look if you have it done to fit you properly.

drljva

Reaction score
Ah, the "fork" alteration, in addition to the seat and waist alterations.  Indeed.  I get it every time, it seems.  (Wide hips/forward hips.)
I call it "V-ing" the crotch. :) I have this done quite a lot on my RTW pants (Incotex, Oxxford, etc.), except when I able to get my size in a "long", which usually has a longer rise...

JV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads