• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds or Alden!?

• Allen Edmonds

Votes: 168 44.8%
  • Alden

Votes: 207 55.2%

• Total voters

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like this thread my die out after all.
angry.gif
Money, this thread is still alive! :happy:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely you're not saying Alden's have more shape than AEs?
I think he means to say that the mid section of that particular shoe (I can't find its name) looks somewhat inflated and without form; I don't know which AE last it is. I found some other pictures of that model from different angles and I can see what SUITED was getting at. With all due respect, it may be that that particular model of CTB may not be best paired with that last.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These would be beautiful if they had some shape to them.

And this was directed at AE shoes in general:

I'm not sure why AE insists on making their shoes so blocky and lifeless.

He wasn't addressing Alden at all, though it stands to reason that if he finds AE shoes lifeless and blocky across the board, he probably doesn't have a lot of love for Alden. Which begs the question of his interest in participating in a thread that deals with AE and Alden exclusively.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Good to see that this thread has got some life back in it!

Regarding shape: I actually think AE's shoes have more shape and variation than Alden. Alden's Hampton and Aberdeen lasts are the most rarely used, and only so on Tassel loafers and the captoe/attorney shoe. I do think AE's lasts have far more variation and do offer a bit sleeker construction. Look at the AE Jefferson and Hannover...slightly longer in the vamp with a slightly pointier toe. Simply, Alden has done no experimentation or innovation with their lasts in who knows how long. I think AE gets the points for last availability and shape variation.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I also do want to give another plug for Paul Grangaard. The guy is a rock star, 10x better than whoever is running Alden. Alden may be finished slightly nicer, but when American men start realizing the value of well-made American footwear versus the Kenneth Cole monstrosities, I will give Grangaard the credit for providing an affordable outlet for men to purchase premium shoes.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see that this thread has got some life back in it!

Regarding shape: I actually think AE's shoes have more shape and variation than Alden. Alden's Hampton and Aberdeen lasts are the most rarely used, and only so on Tassel loafers and the captoe/attorney shoe. I do think AE's lasts have far more variation and do offer a bit sleeker construction. Look at the AE Jefferson and Hannover...slightly longer in the vamp with a slightly pointier toe. Simply, Alden has done no experimentation or innovation with their lasts in who knows how long. I think AE gets the points for last availability and shape variation.
I think Jermyn makes a solid point about shape and variation. However, I have to give props to Alden for sticking to their guns (no pun intended) with classic and traditional models that have stood the test of time. How many AE models have enthusiasts liked over the years only to discover them discontinued. I'm not sure if AE is using the old "planned obsolescence" trick by constantly changing names and models throughout the years. Yes they have their tried and true models (i.e. Park, Fifth Avenues, strand, McAllister, McNeils, Leeds, etc...), but there are plenty that they have made that are lost to discontinuation. I suppose AE tries to do new things frequently that end in miserable failure (every AE enthusiast knows what I am talking about) but may stumble across some diamonds along the way. Keep those diamonds alive!

I'll stick to my unionized, (all of it) made in America (
stirpot.gif
), under work conditions that wouldn't be considered sweatshop-like.... Alden and its traditional lasts.

I do actually like both, but have more Alden.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we talking strictly toe shape or complete last shape esthetics here?

I like my AE's, but will admit their last shapes do tend to be a bit generous in general. I wish I had a pair of Aldens to compare the entire last shaping...

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we talking strictly toe shape or complete last shape esthetics here?

I like my AE's, but will admit their last shapes do tend to be a bit generous in general. I wish I had a pair of Aldens to compare the entire last shaping...

I think you just need to find the last that suits you and your interests. I would guess that you would like AE's 5 last and Alden's aberdeen, hampton, or plaza last

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have shoes from both AE and Alden, but boots from Alden only. I find that the shoes I've purchased from Alden just seem to be more substantial or solid than those from AE for the most part. I don't think that one can attribute this to just the steel shank or even a double leather sole, but the leather used for the upper seems to be thicker as well. At least this is the case with the shoes that I own. In fact.this is one of the reasons I don't own any of their boots. They just don't feel very substantial. I don't own any AE shells.

I find that AE has some shoes which are rather appealing for their price range such as the Strand and Park Avenue. However for the most part If I were to have to chose between just these two I would chose Alden.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also do want to give another plug for Paul Grangaard. The guy is a rock star, 10x better than whoever is running Alden. Alden may be finished slightly nicer, but when American men start realizing the value of well-made American footwear versus the Kenneth Cole monstrosities, I will give Grangaard the credit for providing an affordable outlet for men to purchase premium shoes.

We'll said, definitely the right driver behind the wheel.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I like how he drives, but the AE and Alden automobiles are two very different vehicles. AE is mass producing shoes at much greater volume and at a significantly lower price range. I sure as heck hope that Alden does NOT pursue the same path. I do however appreciate and respect that Paul has reached out to fanatics on SF, and offered special opportunities for MTOs. I will certainly take advantage of that soon.

ElDave

Reaction score

I like how he drives, but the AE and Alden automobiles are two very different vehicles.  AE is mass producing shoes at much greater volume and at a significantly lower price range.  I sure as heck hope that Alden does NOT pursue the same path.  I do however appreciate and respect that Paul has reached out to fanatics on SF, and offered special opportunities for MTOs.  I will certainly take advantage of that soon.

I will say that I've started to move back to Allen Edmonds because I can't stand how Alden is run. They seem to have either disdain or at least indifference toward their customers.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally have experienced nothing but excellent quality control among the 15 or so pairs of Alden I own and superb/courteous service from the various Alden retailers I have dealt with, from Alden DC, SF, Carmel, TSM, Leffot, Sherman Bros., and even J Crew. I have never had to seek help/problem-solving from Alden themselves, so I can't really speak to that. When I have ordered models from the factory, they have always drop-shipped directly to my home immediately (when in stock) and they have always been immaculate out of the box. While some may complain, I can not and will not.

I know AE has had their issues also with QC.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eveliynfindlay