• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds comfort question

ls1dreams

Reaction score
This question seems like it comes up a bit, and I've done some searches, but am not quite getting the answer I'm looking for.

Basically, I just bought several pairs of AE's online. I had tried on both a 9 and 9.5 in the store, and it was a pretty close call.

I went with the 9's because the length felt better, but my right pinky toe rubs a bit.

Do these shoes ever get more comfortable?

Coming from Rockports and J&M's, it just seems like no amount of break in will ever match their comfort.

Should I try a 1/2 size up, and how long should I expect for them to break in?

For reference, I bought:
- Leeds ( last 1 )
- Sutter ( last 2 )
- Clifton ( last 8 )

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Everything else is pretty comfortable - they are just a bit snug up by the toes. My right foot in particular is the worst. (Left foot is just about perfect).

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy the 9, shove some trees in them, push the front of the tree into the toebox, let them sit for a week; then wear them.

All my shoes, after breaking in, feel about a 1/4 size bigger compared to when I first got them.

YMMV.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They take a bit of time to break in. How many times have you worn them?

Also, +1 to binge.

overdog

Reaction score
I have the same problem on a pair of Park Avenues where the leather is pretty thick. The toebox is a bit narrow and the leather didn't soften as much as I thought it would. I just wear my thinnest socks and loosen the laces a bit and I am fine. On the bright side, creasing is minimal due to the thickness of the leather.

I also own a pair of AE Bentons where the leather is just as thick. I had some discomfort early on, but now they fit like a glove.

I don't know what caused this anomaly. I would have thought the Park Avenues would use better leather since they retailed for about $20 more than the Benton, and also since the Bentons are factory seconds. Maybe one of the cows stayed out in the sun too long or something.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ls1dreams
Everything else is pretty comfortable - they are just a bit snug up by the toes. My right foot in particular is the worst. (Left foot is just about perfect).

I have the exact same problem. My left foot is fine, and my right is just slightly wider and my pinky toe is getting crushed. I've tried every method of stretching and it didn't help, but might work for you. Everything from:
put a couple pairs of socks on shoe trees and/or wrap in gauze then stuff firmly into shoe. Might want to warm up the leather beforehand either by wearing them, putting outside in the hot sun, etc.
the strangest but actually best method, is to put the shoe over a boiling kettle nozzle and let the hot steam flow inside and up to the top. It'll soften the leather right up, then double/triple sock your foot, put them on and walk around and bend for 10-15 minutes or until they cool. This really worked well, the only problem was the sole got a bit of water damage, purely cosmetic though.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
i just bought a pair of sutters in size 9.5d (i'm generally a 9.5d or e in most brands) as shoes for rainy days due to the rubber sole. i also liked the idea of a recraftable rubber-soled shoe. i had the store stretch out one of the shoes a bit to compensate for one foot being wider than the other.

wore them once and they are now ready for goodwill. the least comfortable shoes i have ever worn. the leather seemed extremely unforgiving and low quality compared to the aldens i've been wearing (which are themselves not the most comfortable shoes i've ever worn).

also, after one wear, one of the shoes creased in a very unappealing manner.

simply brutal. be careful with these. i understand that shoes need to be broken in, but this was unreasonable.

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Funny - of the 3 shoes, the sutter is by far the most comfortable for me. Of course, this is only the first day walking around for about 15min on carpet. I think this just had to do with the better-cushioned insert they used though.

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I have the exact same problem. My left foot is fine, and my right is just slightly wider and my pinky toe is getting crushed. I've tried every method of stretching and it didn't help, but might work for you. Everything from:
put a couple pairs of socks on shoe trees and/or wrap in gauze then stuff firmly into shoe. Might want to warm up the leather beforehand either by wearing them, putting outside in the hot sun, etc.
the strangest but actually best method, is to put the shoe over a boiling kettle nozzle and let the hot steam flow inside and up to the top. It'll soften the leather right up, then double/triple sock your foot, put them on and walk around and bend for 10-15 minutes or until they cool. This really worked well, the only problem was the sole got a bit of water damage, purely cosmetic though.

Have you stuck with AE shoes since this?

What other good quality shoes might run a bit wider?

I think I'm going to stop by Nordstrom's tomorrow and try on the 9.5's again for comparison.

Are 9's available in a wider size? (Though I'm worried this would make my heel/etc too wide)

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've tried every method of stretching and it didn't help, but might work for you.

Have you tried a cobbler? I did have one pair of shoes that were too tight for simple "breaking in", so I took them to the professionals for some stretching. Came out just right.

ls1dreams

Reaction score
I guess a good question in general for me is - should shoes really need to be broken in like this?

I almost feel like it should be comfortable from the start. Then again, maybe those shoes would end up being too loose later on?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amount of breaking-in we're talking about falls within a measure of personal preference I think. Some find that having shoes a bit too tight at first, then breaking in later works for them. Others prefer a perfect fit from the instance of first try-on. Search/read the forums and you'll find this topic debated again and again. No substitute for experience to find out what works for you.

Still, if you're wearing ready-to-wear shoes, there will probably some minor,but noticable differences in fit across models of the same brand (even if they are purportedly on the same last); and they won't take into account differences in your feet. Like many, if your feet are not perfect mirror images, you'll find that in a pair of shoes one fits better than the other. I don't think that there's a solution to be found in the RTW market other than going through a breaking-in period, professional stretching, or trying on as many shoes as it takes until you find that pair that fit perfectly and continue to do so as you wear them more and more.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ls1dreams
This question seems like it comes up a bit, and I've done some searches, but am not quite getting the answer I'm looking for.

Basically, I just bought several pairs of AE's online. I had tried on both a 9 and 9.5 in the store, and it was a pretty close call.

I went with the 9's because the length felt better, but my right pinky toe rubs a bit.

Do these shoes ever get more comfortable?

Coming from Rockports and J&M's, it just seems like no amount of break in will ever match their comfort.

Should I try a 1/2 size up, and how long should I expect for them to break in?

For reference, I bought:
- Leeds ( last 1 )
- Sutter ( last 2 )
- Clifton ( last 8 )

Have you tried a size wider?

Whenever my pinky toe is getting crushed I size slightly wider. While you can't exactly split up a pair of shoes, doing so might give you the best results sans shoe stretching. Which my AE store apparently does for free... Wish I knew that 6 months ago when I had a couple of shoes stretched by the local cobbler.... :\\

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice so far.

When I stop in Nordstroms I'll try on both a 9E and a 9.5.

It's funny how different shoe sizes fit. In my Rockports I wear a very clear 10.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads