• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Bayfield boot- any experiences?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Sven or any other buyers: just wondering, but how are you liking the boots now that you have worn them a bit? Mine are slightly more comfortable now that they have broken in a little, and I still think I made the right choice for the price.
I've got mine in the freezer enarchy
wink.gif
apparently 'E' wide for allen edmonds is 'extra narrow'
plain.gif
I filled a plastic bag with water and froze it to expand the width, trick I read about.
Originally Posted by Kurt N
How do clunky boots manage to seem somewhat feminine? Maybe in black they're reminiscent of those Doc Martens girls used to wear with short dresses. I always thought that was a weird look, and thank goodness it seems to be out or on the way, but in the meantime it casts a girly pall over perfectly good boots. I think they'd actually make good motorcycle boots. In black they wouldn't show marks such as from the shift lever.
Basically, they seem feminine to me because they're too narrow and pointy... though I'd probably say the same about cowboy boots. If you look at my pics on the page before this, what i'm talking about doesn't show up very well. When I said 'clunky', I meant the sensation when in motion, not appearance as others have. I actually don't think they look clunky enough!!! But they do slap the ground and are stiff-soled, hence my use of that word. In my opinion Kurt, these shoes in black just don't work with jeans... I went and bought the darkest pair of jeans I could find and I still feel like some 1990's 90210 kid that should be wearing a bright yellow sweater vest along with it, it just doesn't work. Edit: or more like a 1950's hipster with a plain white t-shirt. Marcellionheart.... those shoes aren't comparable to the Bayfield in my opinion, they're a totally different class of boot. The Bayfield is meant to be understated, basically, a boot that would appear exactly like a normal dress shoes when the pant cuff is over it. Those Loake boots are clearly meant to be showy like cowboy boots or something, they wouldn't work for a suit like they bayfield does. just my opinion.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
I have one of the old bayfields with double leather souls. They are amazing. I will post pictures soon.

As much as I love them, shoes do not have souls.
teacha.gif

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christopher Essex
Is that the Burford? I'm trying to decide between that and the Barker Harrison.

I'm leaning towards the Barker...I think it looks a bit more sleek.

It's a picture of the Bedale I found on the Internet; I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so fortunately, they're not my dad jeans!
teacha.gif

Andysrus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by steve2318
Any thoughts on the best way to maintain the leather on these boots?

In case you were still wondering, I just used the brown AE Aqua Care Shoe Cream (recommended to me at AE) --> buff --> brush --> buff and they turned out great. looks as good, if not better, than when I first got them.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
As much as I love them, shoes do not have souls.
teacha.gif

But they do have... SOLES!

HA!

Get it!?

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazon has The AE Bayfield boots on sale right now: approx $165 - $180. Limited sizes, I trust. But I just ordered a pair in 11 b.

gamma1234

Reaction score
I also have a sizing question: I am 10.5 C in the 0 last. Would a 11 b work (trying to take advantage of the Amazon sale prices)

Bort99

Reaction score
Hi guys, any suggestions for a boot with a similar profile, but without the broguing? Plain or captoe, leather or rubber sole. I'm looking for an everyday boot that's less chunky than an Indy.

Last edited:

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I picked these up while they were on sale Amazon.com :(

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, any suggestions for a boot with a similar profile, but without the broguing? Plain or captoe, leather or rubber sole. I'm looking for an everyday boot that's less chunky than an Indy.

I am going to bring back this thread and make the same request... Something similar in a black captoe for not a lot more (no Rider Boot RBPB2 or Edward Greens or C&J Northcotes please...)

skin1879

Reaction score
I have the Bayfields in both black and brown in size 9D. Love the boots, but have come to the conclusion that I need to size up 1/2 size for better fit. They have both been worn, but are in great shape (blacks worn less than 5 times; browns less than 15). If anyone is interested in them, make me a reasonable offer via PM.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Howdy,
I'm more interested in sizing. I'm clearly an 8D in the Strand...these shoes fit me just fine in width (maybe a bit more room)...but there's a bit of room in the toe box and a wee wiggle before I lace up.

However, I'm wearing dress socks, so maybe it is that.
Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads