• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone found an easy way to get the lacquer off? Does it come off with an application of cleaner/conditioner? I have a pair of the BB fifth ave seconds that have it. Not a fan.
I found it to smooth out with a liberal application of conditioner followed by a very light polishing.
Brown shell Dundee
Man, there better magically be a pair of those on shoe bank in my size when the sale starts, or I may have to find a way to explain to my wife why I *needed* a pair of $650 shoes. Hmm. Early Valentine's Day gift to myself?

BL70

Reaction score
701 units in stock.... Yeah I am going out on a limb and saying this site is not legit in the slightest. Not to mention the $100 USD cordovan.

Great looking Rogues! Welcome to the forum!

agreed definitely looks sketchy. There is also no contact info at all about the company, just a form to submit.

BL70

Reaction score
Great collection! When did they stop making cognac? I see that color mentioned occasionally in this thread, but it's never on the Allen Edmonds website.

Here's most of what I currently own:

From bottom left: walnut Warwicks, custom color (maroon) Neumoks, walnut Cornwallis (surprisingly dark, closer to bourbon, but I like them), gray Long Branch, 'russet brown' (close to oxblood IMO) Freiburgs

I also have a pair of black Carlyles that I only wear to weddings, which are boxed in the garage. Plus the pair of Daltons I'm on the fence about, from a couple of pages ago.
I don't know when the cognac was discontinued. Sometimes its just called 'dark brown' and sometimes 'dark brown cognac' which makes it confusing. I think the recent clearance price was a great deal for this shoe. By the way, I hope you end up keeping those Daltons, I thought they looked great.

pudman43

Reaction score
My current collection; thought I'd get in on this, as I love seeing others' collections. Clockwise from top left: Walnut Strand (w/darker patina), Brown Mora 2.0, Black McAllister, Walnut Grain MacNeil, Walnut McGregor, Cognac McTavish, Dark Chili Franciscan, Natural Tan McTavish, Dark Chili McAllister, Merlot Byron. J

BL70

Reaction score
My current collection; thought I'd get in on this, as I love seeing others' collections. Clockwise from top left: Walnut Strand (w/darker patina), Brown Mora 2.0, Black McAllister, Walnut Grain MacNeil, Walnut McGregor, Cognac McTavish, Dark Chili Franciscan, Natural Tan McTavish, Dark Chili McAllister, Merlot Byron. J

that's crazy how dark that strand is. Is that just from age, or from the treatment you use?

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone found an easy way to get the lacquer off? Does it come off with an application of cleaner/conditioner? I have a pair of the BB fifth ave seconds that have it. Not a fan.

Doesn't come off with conditioner. I would not take the risk to try to take the glazing off

MitchConner

Reaction score
How do you all feel about the Strandmoks in black?

I need a pair of casual shoes that work with black, tobacco, dark gray, dark blue, and gray casual pants (that's my whole wardrobe until spring). The Long Branch boots I bought didn't work out and the salesperson thinks I should try something in the 65 last.

pudman43

Reaction score

that's crazy how dark that strand is.  Is that just from age, or from the treatment you use?
Mainly from polishing with dark brown over the the years... I was asked by a friend the other day if it was dark chili, but no it's just my own concoction. J

Moose22

Reaction score
Just a question, do AE normally crease this harshly? It's my third time wearing them and the right side developed very deep creases.
Hit and miss shoe to shoe.

My Flatirons one creased a lot in an unattractive way right from the start, the other was lovely with a gentle crease. The last pair I got has been mild and nice. My Rogues creased more than that, but not in a bad way at all.

Heatmiser

Reaction score
I just received these MacNeil 2.0's from Shoe Bank. I have never owned a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes before so I am not sure if the following pictures would be considered flaws. The amount I saved was $85 so I am not sure it is worth it.

The points on the wingtips are not fastened down all the way. Again, not sure if this is normal or not.

Certainly this is a flaw as it is a scrap on the leather. I am assuming I will be able to polish this up and make look better. Just want to know if you think this is acceptable in your opinions.

This looks like a damaged welt. Not sure what happened here but the other shoe does not have this but have seen this before on Aldens. Acceptable?

This welt looks pretty inconsistent. Not sure what this is all about.

Moose22

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the University, on the 333 last? Compared to the 5, it sounds a little wider?

Wider at the wide part, but it has a narrower toe. It's long, but from the wide part of your foot to the heel (which is what matters) it is true to size. Slightly higher instep, too. 5 lasts in my brannock pinch my toe and crush my instep, but the 333 is comfortable with just a little break in. I'm a higher instep, but otherwise pretty average foot shape.

Moose22

Reaction score
The points on the wingtips are not fastened down all the way. Again, not sure if this is normal or not.
Pinking seems to be like that on lots of AEs I've seen recently. Looks just like the pinking on the Larchmont firsts I got last week.

They're from the shoe bank. That means they're seconds and they're supposed to be flawed. They're not much worse than firsts I've received.

Personally, I doubt anyone would notice any of those flaws. If they fit, polish out the scuff and relish the price. If you're worried about it, eat the $10 and send 'em back.

Scarlet

Reaction score
My first time ever seeing a pair of AEs in a Goodwill. Weird model.

------

I checked the website last night before bed and saw that the Larchmont Bourbon 13B had been sold out. Went to Shoe Bank and saw they were there, as well as a pair of Gobi Tan Saddle 13B, and I nearly fell out of bed. Ordered them both at lunch today. I'll see what they're like next week.

Gobi was the first AE model I really fell for at first sight, and the second pair I purchased. They were seconds in 13D. I got them before I'd actually been to an AE store and gotten measured. They look great and I wear them a lot, but they're really way too wide. This didn't really sink in until they were all sold out. I tried a second pair in 12D, they were too short and had massive tiger striping all around. So I'm really hoping these 13B both look and fit great, since this will probably be the last shot at them I get.

Larchmont, I still have no idea why I like. I've never been a fan of longwings or chisel toes. I'm sort of afraid the elongated toes will make my already big feet look just silly, especially with the slim pants I usually wear. But somehow I still think they look really great, and Bourbon's going away, 333's being phased out, I wanna give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads