• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

22busy

Reaction score

For a Wintry Walnut Wednesday Walkin'' around town, I went with by Walnut Bleecker Streets—an oddity in my AE collection in that it's a size smaller than my usual, but equal width and SOMEHOW is one of my most comfortable pairs in the family. Yeah, a BCF find at $119.00 and I wish the Chili ones were in my size , but they're were two sizes too big.

I don't know if it's the little bit of extra shock absorption from the V-Tap rubber on the sole, but these are a pleasure to stroll in. :)

Pep-style coffee shot on the subway platform, paired with my “chick-magnet” Thierry Mugler houndstooth wool overcoat. :)

Do you what last the Bleeker Street is on? I find mine very comfortable also.

MitchConner

Reaction score
Hey all. Just a follow up on my Long Branch problem(s). Just to recap, I bought my first Allen Edmonds, and while they felt fine in the store, I ultimately found that problems presented after the sale. My left foot felt perfectly fine. My right foot had minor heel slippage (but enough to cause a blister) and more concerning was that my right toe would hurt tremendously after walking in them for 10-20 minutes or more.

So the folks at the AE store thought stretching the right one a bit to widen the toe box might help with the toe pain.

After using them for half of yesterday and all of today, I can safely say that my right toe is no longer hurting me. Unfortunately, it seems stretching the right shoe has exacerbated the heel slippage issue though. I'm struggling to tie the shoe in any way that feels comfortable AND will stay that way for more than a few minutes. If I tie it so that I get no slippage, the right side of my right foot hurts. If I loosen it up too much, I'll get another blister. I've tried tying it loose in front and tighter toward the top - and that works for a few minutes, but then the laces even out and it's loose again.

Also, I tried other sizes in the store, twice, I keep landing on this size. Maybe I could try 10.5EE but this is one of the models that skip all EE sizes (most AE and JM shoes do this I've noticed).

So I feel like I need to make this pair work, and reassess my size and what lasts work better for me on my next purchase.

So far, I've tried some thicker socks just to see if it helps. It did, a bit. They don't seem to make dress type socks though any thicker. I'll try some medium cushion Smart Wool "dress" socks once they come in.

I'm also considering tongue pads (which I don't like) and/or insoles (Dr. Scholl's??)

Any advice on how to make this work would be appreciated. I've read around a lot, and have gotten good information, but welcome additional tips, or ideas. Including sock recommendations for such a situation.

Last, I've read some threads about shoe care products. I know some here will recommend AE products for AE shoes, but I'm realizing that I have Florsheim products for shoes that I don't even have anymore and JM products for my JM oxfords. If I keep it up, I'll just eventually have a massive collection of shoe care products.

How do I consolidate? What products should I get that can be used on multiple brands? Cleaner/conditioner? Salt stain remover? Is black shoe cream and/or polish the same across brands? What can be used across brands, and what can't? Are there certain AE shoe care products that are "must have" products?

I know that's a lot of questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

MikeChevelle

Reaction score
Picked up some StockBridge's today, a bit to big for me but couldnt pass up the deal. They are in good shape too

misterellington

Reaction score
Wife is currently in the hospital for the next few weeks on bed rest (expecting our first child in a couple weeks), which gives me the opportunity to use my new AE Strand duffle bag as an overnight bag. Love this thing. Soft sturdy leather, easy to carry, nice capacity.

It's an exquisite “Bug-Out”/“Go” bag indeed!

misterellington

Reaction score
Do you what last the Bleeker Street is on? I find mine very comfortable also.

It's on the 65 Last, and I had to go down a half size (not the full size that I apparently “posted-while-buzzed” earlier). My regular size had my heel slipping around and had odd puckers and gathers when laced. Go figure! I'm guessing the looser “Chukka” cut lends itself to a roomier fit (as I've noticed on my Gobis and Mojaves—but didn't expect on calf like the suede on the other two)

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "flash sale" is on the main page if people were wondering. Usual 199 stuff. Some things that stood out a little were the northland, Kirkwood & Nashua if anyone is looking at those, plus the Cornwallis was 199. At least you can see pics of the bloor st & Richmond st. Personally, gonna pass - no interest in this stuff.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede Fullertons. Since day 1, one of my best fitting AEs. I think these are on the 511 last? I've always thought they were chocolate but perhaps they are snuff?

They are snuff suede, 511 last. Best fitting Bals I own, now regret not grabbing a pair in chili when they were dirt cheap.

This is from when I bought them:

rpearlberg

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked, but trying to find the right size for a Neumoks. I have Strand, Fifth Ave, Long Branch, and McTavish all in 11D. They all fit, but do have some room to move around. Would Neumoks be the same size even though they are unlined?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long Branches enjoying the dusting...ignore the odd left boot...I was carrying a heavy box and leaning all my weight that way...

Better shot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads