• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet

Reaction score
Finally wore my Freiburgs outside for the first time yesterday.

Wish I had my First Aves today though, since it dumped 3 inches of snow overnight. Hopefully I'll have them by the end of next week.

Last edited:

Moose22

Reaction score
New short wing blucher is Madison Park (AKA Player 2.0). Why it has yet to be introduced on the web may have something to do with their association with Nordstrom. The price is currently a jaw dropping 245 though.
What last is that Madison Park on?

I did a web search and the Nordies web page doesn't list the last. Looks 65 last to me, but I could be wrong.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of AE appreciation, I'd like to offer a couple of anecdotes about AE's superior customer service:

(1/2) My first pair of AE shoes were walnut Strands (surprising, I know). I had initial qualms about the fit but got fitted multiple times and assured that 11D was the size for me and that the toebox tightness would resolve after the shoes were broken in. After a few weeks of occasional use, the issue was very clear; the footbed did not quite accommodate my two smallest toes (no roast beef and wee wee wee for those of you with kids). This was in clear evidence based on depressions in the cork and wear on the inside of the shoe; it was enough of an issue that I had certain socks I wouldn't wear with the shoes (tight fit + seam in wrong place = blisters). I took them in to the AE store from whence they came and explained the issue. After several attempted stretchings (in retrospect, likely doomed to fail because of the shape of my foot versus the footbed), they fitted me in an 11E and ordered replacements. A week later, I had brand-new Strands that fit perfectly. AE stood behind the purchase and took care of the problem (at zero cost to me other than a little bit of time). I'll note that the firsts weren't quite perfect (maybe halfway between firsts and seconds), but I'm more than happy with the result and will equate the small imperfections with comfort. Bravo Allen Edmonds - that is true customer service.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of AE appreciation, I'd like to offer a couple of anecdotes about AE's superior customer service:

(2/2) I was fortunate enough to snag a pair of fire-sale Rutledge seconds after buying and loving a pair at a higher price. Cosmetically, the shoes were great, with one crease in the leather that is barely visible (probably a skin fold from the actual cow). However, after my first wear, a structural issue became apparent - the heels were seriously misaligned. If the shoe was on a flat surface and you pressed down so that the heel was flat, the ball of the shoe was something like 3/4" in the air. Effectively, the front edge of the heel was the only contact point for the back half of the foot. I took them to the AE outlet store that made the sale and explained the issue and they sent them in for a pair of replacement heels. The shoes came back with the same issue. I called the recrafting department and sent them back; this time a CS representative called back to make sure she understood the issue and to make sure she knew what I wanted, even offering a full recraft. I told her I just wanted the heels fixed; later that week, I had them back via fedex in perfect shape. Again, no cost to me and Allen Edmonds stood by their sale. That level of service is very much appreciated!

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am considering getting a Bellevue chukka boot built on the 511 last as the Malone and Wilbert on that last worked for me. I would love to hear from someone who can say if the size on this boot runs the same as the 511 last shoes. I thought I would ask as the 201 last Freiberg did not work well for me even though I have shoes on the same last. Thanks as always.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Im a size 8D in almost any shoe and I use Nordstrom shoe trees. The Nordstrom staff always tells me that medium size trees is what I should be using.

I wear size 8D and all my shoe trees were small.

Of course like all thing shoe related, I suppose that the last should have some affect, but the Chart on the back of the Nordstrom shoe tree box says, Small for an 8D. Go Staff!!!

tharkun

Reaction score

Finally wore my Freiburgs outside for the first time yesterday. Wish I had my First Aves today though, since it dumped 3 inches of snow overnight. Hopefully I'll have them by the end of next week.
Lucky you! It jumped to +6C in Montreal today and it poured. All the nice snow is soaking wet now and I put on some non-AE and my wax jacket. In January! :(

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it true that the Mcgregor fit large compared to the other 65 lasted shoe? i always thought it was a great looking shoe

Mark_Y

Reaction score

PSA

It depends on the brand shoe tree I'm sure, but medium AE and JAB shoe trees fit my 9.5D's pretty tight. 7.5D should definitely be small, not so sure about 8D. Even then, I still think its normal wear and break in of calf that generally result in a larger shoe. Even if your feat are not in direct contact with the leather, pressure and force is being exerted over the whole shoe with every step (e.g. the toe receives forward pressure every time the vamp bends and the ball area expands and contracts with every step). It isn't just tight fitting shoes that expand with break in time, it is actually every leather shoe that will loosen to some degree or other. 

I use SMALL JAB shoe trees in all my AE shoes. I wear an 8D.

Scarlet

Reaction score
I'm not a fan on longwings in general, but the Leiden almost makes me mad. The Larchmont and Boca Raton totally don't fit my style, but I still found them sleek and well balanced on their own, and would appreciate them if I saw them on someone else's feet. The wings on the Leiden being so low and flat just makes it look bloated and dumpy to me.

Why this and still not the Player 2? > : (

Last edited:

redmusic1

Reaction score
What last is that Madison Park on?

I did a web search and the Nordies web page doesn't list the last. Looks 65 last to me, but I could be wrong.

It is on the 222. Go to shoebank and choose the 222 last as the additional option after initial size search. This was also the last of the original.

redmusic1

Reaction score
I'm not a fan on longwings in general, but the Leiden almost makes me mad. The Larchmont and Boca Raton totally don't fit my style, but I still found them sleek and well balanced on their own, and would appreciate them if I saw them on someone else's feet. The wings on the Leiden being so low and flat just makes it look bloated and dumpy to me.

Why this and still not the Player 2? > : (

I agree with this bloated and dumpy observation when viewing the McGregor and the Leiden from the present angle and ankles aren't attached. I finally broke down and purchased the McGregors (Maiden outing hopefully tomorrow) because I realized they always looked good to me when I saw them in their natural habitat attached to someone's feet. Overall, I love the 1943 last (viewing this shoe from the top looks great), so perhaps these will look much better on someone's feet than you first imagine (black always looks worse to me as well on a casual shoe). Honestly, I kinda have the reverse feelings about the 333. I love my Universities, but they look clunkier to me on my feet than they do off of them. I think it has a lot to do with the waist not being beveled as it is on the 1943.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is on the 222. Go to shoebank and choose the 222 last as the additional option after initial size search. This was also the last of the original.

Not sure that's correct. Don't take that shoebank last filter as gospel - I've had it be wrong plenty of times.

The 222 is dead - my guess (95% sure) would be the 108.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering getting a Bellevue chukka boot built on the 511 last as the Malone and Wilbert on that last worked for me. I would love to hear from someone who can say if the size on this boot runs the same as the 511 last shoes. I thought I would ask as the 201 last Freiberg did not work well for me even though I have shoes on the same last. Thanks as always.

I have 2 pairs of Bellevues, the brown and a MTO pair in natural cxl w no perforations. The 511 last fits me great in 98% of shoes, boots and chukkas I have tried. Have 3 pairs of Wilberts, natty cxl, outland and brown cxl.

Sad to see the Malone following recent trend, offered up to size 14 on the 511 last. Everything on the 511 last used to be offered in a 15. (with an upcharge, they will make the 15)

MTO Bellevue:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics