• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you both for your help.  I guess I was looking to use them in more of a business casual environment and someone warned against that on the AE site.  Was just looking to back up that claim.  I guess I wont jump on them.

I think it's perfectly fine for a more casual business casual setting. The way I see it, it's not all that different from Dundee. So if the Dundee, especially the grain leather, will do for your needs, these ought to be sufficient. However, do keep in mind that the color is more red than brown.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellow members, with AE introducing more and more models in the 201 last, should we expect to see extended width offering in the near future, as with the "mighty" 65 last?

Happy Holidays!

Levi1

Reaction score
I feel like we're losing focus here. all this talk about bourbon, when this handsome gentleman has an excellent question about merlot!

O Wise Styleforum,

Behold ye doyens of fash, gatekeepers of dash
And deliver us this day of the following inflictment:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when the sale pricing on First Ave's ends? I've got a $175 gift certificate, and while I'm not really looking for anything at them moment, the First Aves in Brown Grain intrigue me enough to go eyeball a pair at the AE Outlet (sorta) close to me. Don't want to wait and miss the sale... Any pix of the brown grain First Ave's in the real world would be appreciated too...
Quote:
The McTavish is a more casual edition of the McAllister - more informal "rough" leather and a reverse welt instead of a flat welt. They've been recently re-stocked in many sizes in the Cognac leather. I've loved mine with several colors of chinos as well as jeans. Re-using a pic I've posted here several times...
IMG_20150929_1628470192_zpsjpenzo1u.jpg
(actual color is slightly darker than the shoe you see in the forground, not *quite* as dark as the one in the background)

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas Eve everyone. With the new clearance sale announce, I'm thinking of adding to my AE collection. 13 and growing. That said, I'm looking for a bourbon, as I don't currently have that color. I'm tossing between the Strand and the Mcallister. Like the University, but no bourbon, but they do have a dark chili.

My office attire (software engineering mgr, mid 50s) is chinos with a button down and sweater in the AZ winters. Chinos and a nice polo in the summer. I rarely wear jeans to work, but do wear them occasionally when out with my wife. I currently have 4 "Strand":
  • Walnut
  • Chocolate suede
  • Rush Street
  • Blue Suede Strandmok

The only wings I have are a pair of Longbranch boots in brown. My questions.... is a wing more formal than a brogue? Would the Mcallister look weird with chinos? I'm leaning bourbon Mcallisters for a change from the Strand. Just not sure if they'll work in my situation. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: one other thought, what about the Carlyle?

Personally, I think bourbon looks best on the Strand, but given your situation, I can see how grabbing another Strand might be redundant. I'm going to take a stab in the dark, but I would guess that from your work description, your typical work shoes are "nicer" than at least 50% of the people around you. If your comfortable with wearing what you have now, then you probably won't have to worry about the level of formality. Don't know what your other AE's are, but the Carlyle an intriguing option; though I like the PA better. I don't thing the McAllister would look weird with chinos.

Somehow I don't think I've been much help.

22busy

Reaction score

Personally, I think bourbon looks best on the Strand, but given your situation, I can see how grabbing another Strand might be redundant.  I'm going to take a stab in the dark, but I would guess that from your work description, your typical work shoes are "nicer" than at least 50% of the people around you.  If your comfortable with wearing what you have now, then you probably won't have to worry about the level of formality.  Don't know what your other AE's are, but the Carlyle an intriguing option; though I like the PA better.  I don't thing the McAllister would look weird with chinos.

I have the bourbon Carlye and it's still my favorite of 9 pair of AE shoes. I don't care to double up on the same style in different colors. I prefer to diversify a little. The Carlye is the only shoe I've considered making an exception. I REALLY want a pair in black.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear this has been discussed before, but I can't for the life of me find a post on it. Anyone have first hand sizing experience with the Dalton vs Sauk Dr?.

Mark_Y

Reaction score

The McTavish is a more casual edition of the McAllister - more informal "rough" leather and a reverse welt instead of a flat welt. They've been recently re-stocked in many sizes in the Cognac leather. I've loved mine with several colors of chinos as well as jeans.

Re-using a pic I've posted here several times...
IMG_20150929_1628470192_zpsjpenzo1u.jpg
(actual color is slightly darker than the shoe you see in the forground, not *quite* as dark as the one in the background)

I like those. Just not sure of the Cognac color, would like to see in person. Hard to do in AZ. One AE store in the valley and I'm not up to fighting mall nuts tomorrow.

Personally, I think bourbon looks best on the Strand, but given your situation, I can see how grabbing another Strand might be redundant.  I'm going to take a stab in the dark, but I would guess that from your work description, your typical work shoes are "nicer" than at least 50% of the people around you.  If your comfortable with wearing what you have now, then you probably won't have to worry about the level of formality.  Don't know what your other AE's are, but the Carlyle an intriguing option; though I like the PA better.  I don't thing the McAllister would look weird with chinos.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading your comments. Your "stab in the dark" made me chuckle. Not a brag, but it is probably closer to 90% of the people around me. Engineer types wear the same pair or two of shoes until they wear out. Which usually doesn't take long as most of them are cheap crap.

I agree that the bourbon looks a bit better in the Strand than the Mcallister, just not sure I want another Strand, although I love mine. The Carlyle is growing on me.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like those. Just not sure of the Cognac color, would like to see in person. Hard to do in AZ. One AE store in the valley and I'm not up to fighting mall nuts tomorrow.
I don't blame you at all. One more pic that is closer to true color:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if AE x Brooks Brothers shoes come with bags? Just got a pair in the mail that appear a little beat up in a box that clearly took a big hit at some point. Shoes are laced and there are no bags in the box.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I enjoyed reading your comments. Your "stab in the dark" made me chuckle. Not a brag, but it is probably closer to 90% of the people around me. Engineer types wear the same pair or two of shoes until they wear out. Which usually doesn't take long as most of them are cheap crap.

I agree that the bourbon looks a bit better in the Strand than the Mcallister, just not sure I want another Strand, although I love mine. The Carlyle is growing on me.

LOL. I sort of figured that, but didn't want to sound insulting, so I gave my self some wiggle room. For the record, I was a Physics major, so I know the ecosystem.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if AE x Brooks Brothers shoes come with bags?  Just got a pair in the mail that appear a little beat up in a box that clearly took a big hit at some point.  Shoes are laced and there are no bags in the box.

If you're ordering from an AE outlet or the shoebank, then no they don't. If you got them from BB, I would contact customer service.

ptr1988

Reaction score
This will be my 2nd pair of Allen Edmonds. I am looking to purchase the dalton wingtip dress boots bourbon since its on sale right now I wear a 7.5 (D) width in the Strand. Do I get the same size and width, 7.5 (D) for the dalton wingtip boot? Or get size 7.5 (E)? The strand in 7.5 (D) fits me perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads