• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also curious about this. I got overly excited when I saw the new wave of clearance-- bought a pair of natural Clark Street and the light brown Freiburg (my first boot). Didn't really think either of them through that much. I'm wondering if maybe the russet brown wasn't the way to go.
Don't worry - they're both good. I don't know what it was, maybe just the pair I tried or what was going on, but the the light brown Freiburg material felt a lot softer and more flexible while the russet brown was (and still is) extremely stiff. Weird.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Neo1 if you're rubbing heels off, try a tongue pad. That's the only way we figured out how to get me into a 65 last, as one that will flex up for my instep will be too wide in the heel. The tongue pad shoved me right back into the heel so I wasn't swimming around.

I hadn't considered the larchmont. I didn't realize that one was in Bourbon, too. So, now I'm torn. Considering the Rutledge fits just a touch too tight in the instep and perfect everywhere else, I'd assumed a 333 bal would be exactly the ticket. And I like the sort of European look of the last. It hints of Italian or English -- really sort of sitting between the square but pointier Italian styles and narrower but rounder toed English.

As for the Larchmont, I'm of two minds about it. I prefer short wings to long wings, and I don't care for the back of the shoe with that double seam. But I like the toe and vamp on that one. I actually don't own a pair of wingtips at the moment, but figured I'd be getting a short wing in the next year or so. Maybe I go long wing instead?

The question is, is the Flatiron TOO spartan? I love the toe medallion on the derby shoe. It's a nice contrast to the Rogues, which are all full of big ol' holes. But almost wish it had a touch of brogueing along the seams, like the Cornwallis. And bourbon is really in the walnut range -- I already have Rutledge in burnished walnut, which are a pretty plain captoe with really reserved brogue. I'd like something slightly contrasting as I think this will be my last "light" colored shoe for a while.

I can't believe I've become so damned vain about shoes!
Found your thought process kind of interesting - I actually thought the exact same thing when I got the Larchmont - I thought the Flatiron didn't have enough going on, and that the Yorktown (or Cornwallis) were better bets...keep in mind the Larchmont and Flatiron are both open laced, so you shouldn't have trouble with either of them.

Tongue pads aren't much use to me - I can't take the heel slip so I'll usually just suck it up and deal with the instep pain on the bals..:). Call me a glutton for punishment. Those f-ing park aves - I remember wearing those things for 2x a week for like 6 months, they killed me everytime. I could have gone 7E but stuck with 7D - I chose, wisely. They did eventually "break", thank god.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you both for your help. I guess I was looking to use them in more of a business casual environment and someone warned against that on the AE site. Was just looking to back up that claim. I guess I wont jump on them.

Snobol323

Reaction score
Hey Gents - Hope you all are having a nice Christmas Eve. I'm hoping someone can help me with a McTavish sizing question - I've heard they are a little quirky on sizing. I wear an 11.5C in the MacNeil (shell), an 11.5B in the Ashton (calf), and a 12B in the Leeds (shell). Any idea what size would work in the McTavish? Thanks in advance for any insight you have!

Mark_Y

Reaction score
Merry Christmas Eve everyone. With the new clearance sale announce, I'm thinking of adding to my AE collection. 13 and growing. That said, I'm looking for a bourbon, as I don't currently have that color. I'm tossing between the Strand and the Mcallister. Like the University, but no bourbon, but they do have a dark chili.

My office attire (software engineering mgr, mid 50s) is chinos with a button down and sweater in the AZ winters. Chinos and a nice polo in the summer. I rarely wear jeans to work, but do wear them occasionally when out with my wife. I currently have 4 "Strand":

• Walnut
  • Chocolate suede
  • Rush Street
  • Blue Suede Strandmok

The only wings I have are a pair of Longbranch boots in brown. My questions.... is a wing more formal than a brogue? Would the Mcallister look weird with chinos? I'm leaning bourbon Mcallisters for a change from the Strand. Just not sure if they'll work in my situation. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: one other thought, what about the Carlyle?

Last edited:

alexnb

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Buckstrand in tan? How do you like it? Any real world photos?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Buckstrand in tan? How do you like it? Any real world photos?

I picked up the floor display when I was last in the store - nice looking shoe, but no way I'd get anything with the plain gumlite sole. If you don't mind that, pretty good price. I'd put the Rush Street on top, then the Neumok, then this one. If you're looking at it from a sale price perspective, consider the tan Strandmok as an alternative - the danite is way better. The Strandmok may look way more boring but I think it would be more practical in terms of pairing it.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for the Mora. It won't be a suit shoe, but I'm not fond of the bourbon with suits anyway. I would get them if they still had my size in firsts.
If you do need something to pull double duty, then go with the FA or PA, because I'm not sure what to think about a plain toe bal in bourbon. Seems very limited to me, but I've been wrong before.
When was that? You're always spot on. Couldn't have agreed more. Wish they stuck with the Neumora....passed on that and now the Mora 2 doesn't fit me. At least I got the Norwich....

sentry

Reaction score
When was that? You're always spot on. Couldn't have agreed more. Wish they stuck with the Neumora....passed on that and now the Mora 2 doesn't fit me. At least I got the Norwich....

Haha, so two votes for the Mora. Has anyone had experience with the coloring and creasing on the Mora's?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@neo1 "Pardon my lack of "filtration" - I got very little sleep and am pretty cranky. I called fully expecting the 2nds on the Freiburg to be the standard 147 -20%, or 117, and was told that 1sts were 147, 2nds were 234. I lost it a little - I felt like Vincent Gambini in that scene where he says the whole store got the flu...bullshit with that. I'll call back later."

I was also told $234 for the seconds and I had to ask for a reduction. The phone rep (at AE, not an outlet) put me on hold and had to ask her supervisor. Not sure who she spoke to, but pulled it down to the $117 when she got back on the phone with me.

redmusic1

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, leaning towards the Mora now. What color do you recommend for suits? I wear charcoal and navy - I like wearing walnut with navy but it might be too flashy. Should I be looking to pick up a pair of dark brown PA?

Also, some of the AE reviews mention the Mora has some issues with creasing and discoloration. can anyone weigh in on that?

I wouldn't wear the Mora with a suit personally, but I could see someone more modern than me wearing them in brown with a suit while in less formal settings. The brown PA would be a great second suit shoe, but I wouldn't recommend it for wear without a blazer. Grab the brown Moras for one pair versatility. Or grab the Bourbon Moras and brown FA's (better choice than the PA to me since you have them in black) to have something for casual, business casual, and business.

Moose22

Reaction score
@Neo1
I totally agree with heel slip, and cannot abide it myself, but I find your patience overwhelming. I could never suffer twice a week for that long waiting for shoes to break in.

Ben in Freeport got me fitted in 65s (up a size, same width, tongue pads to shove me back in the heel so it doesn't slip) and then after all that work told me straight up to just wait for something in a different last. Now I call him with questions about shoebank items -- seems strange to have a rep literally at the opposite corner of the country, but he's straight up helpful.

Anyway, a question. How red is your russet brown Freiburg? I swear, I hear russet brown I think an Idaho potato, but the website looks significantly redder than I'd expect.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was gifted this pair of chili Benton's with a goodly amount of wear on them. This duplicated a pair I already had. Since they were free, I decided to recraft them to a storm welt and mini-lug sole. Not sure about some fashion consensus on that move, but I thought it would be interesting and a more causal feel. There were some stains on the originals that were greatly improved, but not entirely eliminated. Since the MTO program is no more, I thought it was the next best thing.

Moose22

Reaction score
@smfdoc , I find that absolutely hilarious. I don't know why, but there's something almost kafkaesque about a rep telling you the flawed boots cost $100 more, completely straight, without immediately offering to look into the sale price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics