• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequin782

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be redundant (from a style standpoint, not a functionality standpoint) to buy the Sauk Drive if I already have an Oxblood or dark chili Dalton? Stylewise, I can't think of an occasion where the Sauk Drive would look better than the Dalton in a similar color...that's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Sauk Dr.

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score
I don't understand something: if they make all their shoes from scratch when you order it, why are certain sizes unavailable for some styles? Im speaking in particular about non specialty sizes that are regularly offered for most styles. [6 - 15 (?)]. I mean, wouldn't it just be a matter of them configuring the makeup for whichever size is ordered?

Buster Brown

Reaction score

I guess you and I wiped out the Shoebank stock of the Freiburg in that size! I hope they work out for us both.

I'm really struggling to convince myself that I don't need a pair of Sauk Drives. Seeing them for $160 in the Shoe Bank is not helping.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it kind of interesting that the reaction of everyone including myself to the Sauk drive is so similar. I talked to Ben on the phone about it - he said apart from it being on a different last which will make the toe box slightly more elongated, this is literally a Dalton with the long branch sole. So like I said earlier, if you want a winter boot, its a steal, but this isn't something you'll wear with a suit year round. You get my point.

@cc808314 Hey what's up - I have the Red Wing Beckman in cigar - totally different ballpark from AE, you can pm me about it. Great boots as long as you know what to expect. They run damn large though, and they stretch out a lot.

@LanceM people have mixed comments on the BB vs normal line sizing. I tried enough to say go with your normal size.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@LanceM As we have the same size feet except for instep I would recommend going wider if it's a balmoral and same size of its a blucher. Those poron insoles do take up space.

CMR16

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is it true that there isn't any shoe cream for the bourbon anymore? My shoes are fine but if I ever needed anything done, I don't really want to apply another color on it.

Last edited:

CMR16

Reaction score

People can hate on me as much as they want, but when I saw this, I thought this was a Road Warriors / Cole Haan Lunargrand hybrid that should be buried alongside those copies of ET for the 2600, never to return.

I will be in the minority and would buy this shoe. I like the occasional radical design and this would be a perfect casual shoe.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the russet brown dublin leather. I'm having seller remorse because I sold my clark st MTO in that leather. I'm definitely getting the Sauk drive. I would have gone for the Freiburg but I just don't like the number of eyelets on those. Add 2-3 more pairs of eyelets and that would have been a homerun.

I also like the Rothsay. I already have one in brown CXL but the harrier sole makes sooo much sense on those.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that russet color clearly stealing the show - is no one getting the shearling 1st ave? Love to see pics of that.

harlequin782

Reaction score

With that russet color clearly stealing the show - is no one getting the shearling 1st ave? Love to see pics of that.

Funny thing about the First Ave: they initially had the sale price for the shearling lined version set at the same sale price as the regular brown grain First Ave ($375).....this was before someone realized that would be more than a $100.00 discount on shearling lined First Aves...lol

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the BB versions fit vs the normal AE versions? The suede Neumok seems nice.

I think that the BB versions fit slightly snugger due to the poron insole. However, not enough to change sizes (at least for me).

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that the BB versions fit slightly snugger due to the poron insole. However, not enough to change sizes (at least for me).
I think it really depends on how the non BB version in the same last fits you. If it's already snug to begin with then one doesn't need to size up. If it's loose then presumably the same size would be just right

rostov

Reaction score
I'm on a very tight budget right now (thus my disappearance), but that Sauk/Russet Dalton is tempting. I just wish it were some other color. Between Burgundy shell and Oxblood, one might think my feet were bleeding.

The last is appealing though. I've decided I'm not too big on the 511; I love the (now) old 2 last...

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Yes, $375 was a website translation mistake.

When the Shearling boot launched, it sat on the site at $425 for a few days. I ordered a pair on the third or fourth day of the sale at what appeared to be retail price + a sole-change charge. (Price jumped a day or 2 later to 465?485?)

Also tried hard to get a second one built, with either cordovan or ANY other material (to rationalize a second pair for rotation during the frostiest of winter days).
-I especially thought they might consider the tan grain since it would minimize variant risk. Nix.

On another note @garland @Kahuna75 I am disappoint in the Normandys - wish now that I had tried the b34. The 511 last usually fits great, but these...without insert = too much volume in toe box...with insert = too snug. I thought maybe they were made with the 511G last until I tried the insert. Not a complete loss but not the Kudu boot of my dreams either. Hopefully with a few wears they will improve.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last I heard they had nearly 200 in production for orders so unless stores had any prior in stock to sell not sure anyone has them yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads