• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy some of the shoe stretch liquid and apply inside and outside then wear them through the pain. They will loosen up.

Link to a good product? I've never purchased one of these, so I'd appreciate a recommendation. Thank you!

Last edited:

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Was at the Rack today during lunch and saw an AE Dearborn belt in Bourbon for $35 in my size, 38. Jumped at it. I'm a big fan of AE belts, I own several usually after they've gone on sale on nordstrom.com or at the main store. Rarely have I seen them drop that much to the Rack.

They are way better than the majority of cheaply made bosco, Kenneth Cole, etc belts out there you can find at most dept stores. Of course I'd much prefer a few higher end Santoni of G&G belts to wear daily but $250 isn't in my budget for a belt.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brooks Brothers/AE Shaker Heights today.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What did you use to strip the original color? Once stripped, did you do any conditioning or other things before going to the new color?

The shoes were a light tan color, so I did not strip them.
I first tried darkening them with neatsfoot oil. That wasn't dark enough. I let that set for a week, then applied a diluted dye.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - exactly what I was looking for - 1/2 size down was way to go for you on the rogue? similar size to 65 last?

The move down was more about controlling for volume, especially near the base of the tongue. They are on the shorter side, but seemed to have less potential of creasing. I have a flat feet and low arches so take this with a grain of salt. I think most on the forum used their 65 size or went down a width.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks - if I can snag an overloard really cheap I plan to have a lug sole put on it - I have no hope of them coming out with a B34 lasted shoe again but the Overloard as a blucher or bal on the b34 with a lug sole would be really a killer shoe for me when I don't want to wear boots

shoelover

Reaction score

jubu

Reaction score
Question for those of you who have used AE recrafting to change the sole/welt on your shoes...

To what extent will AE work with you on customizing the sole of your choice? I plan on getting the $125 package + $10 sole conversion to Red Dainite, but would like to specify more specs like stitching, midsole, etc. Is it pretty much like an MTO?

Thanks.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for those of you who have used AE recrafting to change the sole/welt on your shoes...

To what extent will AE work with you on customizing the sole of your choice? I plan on getting the $125 package + $10 sole conversion to Red Dainite, but would like to specify more specs like stitching, midsole, etc. Is it pretty much like an MTO?

Thanks.

It was like a MTO for me, I did hear other experiences that were not the same but they were pretty liberal in helping me with the changes I requested

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice - plan to do something similar but man I have a tough time trashing a nearly new JR sole

Haha I know the feeling, you can see the JR and horween cordovan logo on the sole were't even worn down on them at all. I actually won the free recrafting on Instagram which is why I did it so quickly. The original intention was to wait for a natural need to recraft (really though I would have been to impatient for that any ways so it worked out).

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of Taormina loafers, and they're a bit too tight (I bought EEE, so I can't go wider on size). I want to know what you think about stretching them. I'm worried that the construction may not hold well; more, that the woven top may get damaged. What do you all say?
Bear with me, this might go a little lengthy -

Since I've never gotten a decent assessment on this I figured I would provide my best shot. As far as I have been able to ascertain, AE likes to use 3 "lasts" for the Italian collection - the "Urbino" last, the "Firenze" last and the "Verona" last. They seem to reuse these designs a lot.

The Urbino/Bergamo/Modena/Taormina seems to run the smallest of any of them (length and width). The leather they use is ultra soft but also extremely thin. When I got the Taormina the thing I initially worried about the most was the toebox getting scuffed since the leather sole was so incredibly thin. But so far the most delicate aspect has been the woven textured part.

I personally would advise against the stretching - if it wasn't for the woven portion, I'd say maybe, since the leather is still very thin. Have to ask - why did you get these - price you just couldn't resist? Reason I'm asking is because anything that is constructed like the Firenze (Fiesole, Brindisi, Positano, etc.) run very long and very generous in width, and the Verona/Arezzo, etc. also run quite large, so you basically went with the smallest possible option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads