• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Morning guys. Happy Walnut Wednesday! The Jeffersons, the shoe that started my AE collection a year ago, maybe my most comfortable 'dress' shoe and my newly acquired walnut brief case. I've always thought the independence walnut was a different hue than the calf.

Looking good! I believe the Indy leathers are veg tanned as opposed to chrome tanned. That's why they're softer and burnish differently.

I could be wrong though.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking good! I believe the Indy leathers are veg tanned as opposed to chrome tanned. That's why they're softer and burnish differently.

I could be wrong though.

It is double aged tanning- chrome tanned then veg retanned according to AE sales representative.

velomatt

Reaction score
Well, this thread finally made me do it. Pulled the trigger yesterday (last day of the sale) on my first Allen Edmonds... some MacNeil 2.0 wingtips and Franciscan monkstraps... oh boy. and a couple belts. $800+.... will post some pics when I get them, and decide if I want to keep them.

Curses, all of you!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, this thread finally made me do it. Pulled the trigger yesterday (last day of the sale) on my first Allen Edmonds...  some MacNeil 2.0 wingtips and Franciscan monkstraps...  oh boy. and a couple belts. $800+....  will post some pics when I get them, and decide if I want to keep them.

Curses, all of you!

At least you got two pairs and some belts! Just wait until you degenerate into a shell cordovan hound like some of us poor foolish addicts.

Robertson

Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen,

AE is still honoring sales prices today via phone (I understand this especially helps those who may need to reorder, change a previous order, etc.).

Last edited:

velomatt

Reaction score
At least you got two pairs and some belts! Just wait until you degenerate into a shell cordovan hound like some of us poor foolish addicts.

I should have added, my credit card denied the charge at first and put my card on a fraud watch. Sigh, Chase sees me buying nice shoes and says, "hey, that doesn't sound like the Matt we know!"

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
On any day that those Recons would be a good choice, the LB would not. Indoors, the LB is a fine winter boot, but if you are outdoors for long enough to need the 200g on your Recons, the uninsulated LBs wouldn't suffice. I have several insulated Danners for cold weather duty, but, LBs carry me all through winter on days that I mainly just go from house to car to office and back. I do not shovel snow in LBs, thats what those Recons are for. :)

I am hoping that AE might offer some variation of boot with some variation of warm lining once the smoke clears from RDA. During the MTO period, I had tried to get a boot made with wool or similar lining, no dice. But there have been rumors about a possible warm boot option soon so maybe.

Also, a PSA.
The next best thing to MTO is NOS / out of production items.

Recent eBay purchases that I could not get from AE...
all first quality new old stock:

-chili Bradleys
-brown Senecas (4 lasted NST)
-burgundy shell MacNeils (edit to note these are back on the AE site!)
-brown shell MacNeils
-black Bayfields

In addition to being unobtanium, the above items would retail at over $2500 but cost just over $1000.
-1 seller to watch is boater1105wnt, as I have bought many from him and have had excellent experiences, his descriptions have been correct.

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How warm are they? Do you find that there there many occasions on which the Dalton would be too dressy/insufficiently rugged, but a winter boot or work boot would be insufficiently refined?

As to warmth, nothing remarkable one way or another.  They would be fine throughout the winter in the Mid-South.  But, they aren't quite as warm as my GoreTex and Thinsulate LL Bean hunting boots.  Still, the fit adequately allows a thicker sock.  I would imagine no one buys a Long Branch to wear in really cold with deep snow sorts of weather.  I find the warmness of a boot is more about how much you are moving in it while out in the cold than its theoretical "warmth rating" that a manufacture might provide.  I doubt they would be a good choice for ice fishing.:)

As to the second question, if I interpret it correctly, you are asking is something like a Long Branch a necessary "gap filler" between a Dalton type boot and a real live work boot or serious cold weather boot.  I'd say "no," since I would imagine a Dalton can be dressed way down, especially the walnut.  However, if I'm not mistaken, the stock Dalton comes with a Butyl leather sole.  I find that's fine for slightly wet surfaces (my MTO Heritages have them).  The nice thing about a Long Branch is the tread is thicker, has a better grip, and probably built a little more with weather in mind than the Dalton.  So, it is nice to have.  But from a strictly "formality scale" perspective - which I take your question to be - I think you would have little or no gap between a Dalton and a rugged work or cold weather boot, depending on the look of the actual boot.

Having said that, I'm sure if one already had either a LB or a Dalton, a nice thing to do would to be get the other in another color.  Then on a formality scale one could stairstep down, thus: darkish Dalton > Golden Brown LB > work/cold weather boot.  That's my scheme if you substitute my merlot MTO Eagle Country for the Dalton.

Hope this was somewhat responsive to your question.

Last edited:

shoenoobie

Reaction score

This is my first quality rant online here. This is not a big issue, I get that. But REALLY? Takes you literally like 3 seconds to spot and remove this before packing.. Really?!

Also on the second picture (hard to see first), the heels are not actually perpendicular to the ground. It's got a weird pyramid like shape in which the bottom most stack is significantly wider than the top. It is a lot more noticeable in real eyes. I just receive a pair of Strands and that pair is the opposite.. My strand heels are stacked like a ship (bottom most stack smaller than the top most).

Also, the navy suede Cavanaugh is supposed to come with brown outsoles as depicted online on their site. Yes I found it weird that other navy suede color I saw were all black and I actually have never seen a brown outsole ones. But still! Brown vs. black outsole is a big big no no..

I wonder if I can have my cobbler change the black outsole edge into a brown?

I wonder if the quality has been down just for recently due to RDA sale... Customer service has been nothing but 5 stars, but quality seriously, disappoints me this batch of shipping.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is my first quality rant online here. This is not a big issue, I get that. But REALLY? Takes you literally like 3 seconds to spot and remove this before packing.. Really?!

Also on the second picture (hard to see first), the heels are not actually perpendicular to the ground. It's got a weird pyramid like shape in which the bottom most stack is significantly wider than the top. It is a lot more noticeable in real eyes. I just receive a pair of Strands and that pair is the opposite.. My strand heels are stacked like a ship (bottom most stack smaller than the top most).

Also, the navy suede Cavanaugh is supposed to come with brown outsoles as depicted online on their site. Yes I found it weird that other navy suede color I saw were all black and I actually have never seen a brown outsole ones. But still! Brown vs. black outsole is a big big no no..

I wonder if I can have my cobbler change the black outsole edge into a brown?

I wonder if the quality has been down just for recently due to RDA sale... Customer service has been nothing but 5 stars, but quality seriously, disappoints me this batch of shipping.

Just return them if they are not what you wanted or not up to your quality standard. The stacked heel and the messy finishing isn't a deal breaker but the edge color would be for me. I see the online pics are the brown edge so why pay a cobbler to change the edge when I am sure AE can just ship you a replacement for free.

shoenoobie

Reaction score
Just return them if they are not what you wanted or not up to your quality standard. The stacked heel and the messy finishing isn't a deal breaker but the edge color would be for me. I see the online pics are the brown edge so why pay a cobbler to change the edge when I am sure AE can just ship you a replacement for free.
Just chatted with CS and it looks like the web photos are ones that are wrong. Manufacturing note, according to CS, says black color is used for edge dressing.

I like the navy suede Cavanaugh. Just trying to figure out now how I could get the color of the edge change so I can start enjoying them. Urg.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mid-week Merlot Chesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics