• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope, I probably would of saved me a bunch of cash if I did go to the Leeds outlet store. I picked up pretty much everything I wanted this sale at my local AE store. The only thing I am on the fence about keeping is the pebble grain first avenues. It was either the chocolate dalton or the first ave. My girlffriend said that she liked the first ave better, since I have so many wing tips already. My SA agreed with her as well. So, with this haul and a recent purchase on the forum I am done until next sale (At least My wallet hopes so!)

Here is the updated haul from the RDA sale:

Snuff suede Dundees and belt
Chili Lexingtons and chili belt
Pebble grain first ave
Strand double flap brief case (love this. I almost want to pick up another one for my brother for a xmas present)

I think that is a great haul. I agree completely with each purchase. ;)

Evening functions, almost regardless of occasion, suggest black. Sure a burgundy shade will be nice and work fine, but it should probably be black. In addition to the funeral/wedding issues, a black shoe seems a worthwhile investment. Black shoes are also good for interviewing.

I agree with this. Any evening occasion that warrants a a dark suit also warrants black shoes. It's most appropriate and looks best. Of course, anyone can do as they wish...

newuser123

Reaction score

Was at the Madison Ave store in NYC. Ordered a pair of dark brown Strands with Dainite sole. Was told it will take 4 weeks to get the shoe. This is not a custom make up, the Strand is offered with Dainite. Is this normal or they are just really behind with orders during the RDA? I am kind of bummed out, as most likely will not get a chance to wear them this year.

Odd. I ordered on 10/7 online. Already in ttansit. ETA 10/13. Although I am standard size. 10.5D. Perhaps that is it?

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was at the Madison Ave store in NYC. Ordered a pair of dark brown Strands with Dainite sole. Was told it will take 4 weeks to get the shoe. This is not a custom make up, the Strand is offered with Dainite. Is this normal or they are just really behind with orders during the RDA? I am kind of bummed out, as most likely will not get a chance to wear them this year.

If your size is sold out in the warehouse, they have to make it for you from scratch. They tell you 4 weeks to be safe, though it's usually not that long.

It could be worse. Edward Green and Alden can take up to a year. Some folks have been waiting for certain Alden orders for almost 2 years.

The longest I ever waited for an order was for an MTO from Enzo Bonafe. That took almost 6 months. It amazes me how Vass can knock out MTOs in less than 2.

Last edited:

LanceM

Reaction score

I think that is a great haul. I agree completely with each purchase. ;)

@LanceM
 congrats on some nice purchases

Thanks guys! The funny part occurred while I was checking out. The store manager mentioned to me there would be a trunk show next month at the store and that I should come. I almost told my SA to stop ringing things up!

But, the trunk show will be on the Sherling coats. She then proceeded to show me the different styles of leathers and furs you could pair together. You could imagine my disappointment as It wasn't a cordovan show.

I mentioned no shell cordovan? She said she was working on it and the company was still thinking about it.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been out of the action for a bit......

Looks like there's some amazing sale going on? Can somebody fill me in?

LanceM

Reaction score

They say 4 weeks to be conservative. My SA told me they can see the number off uppers in the system, so they can be sure the shoe can be made in a timely fashion.

Last edited:

evilWagon

Reaction score
Maybe this has been answered already but with the Dundee 2.0 is there more volume or the same at the bridge?

Dd1101

Reaction score
Got a quick question for the cordovan experts. Is there something I should look out for when buying older Shell Cordovan shoe which still new in box. Found some new Allen edmonds, without the horween logo on sole (just JR logo) and black insoles.

Thoughts, I am sure they have never been conditioned.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a quick question for the cordovan experts. Is there something I should look out for when buying older Shell Cordovan shoe which still new in box. Found some new Allen edmonds, without the horween logo on sole (just JR logo) and black insoles.

Thoughts, I am sure they have never been conditioned.

we would need a picture.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Snuff suede Amoks I picked up a few years back for $99. I haven't bought any AE lately but I'm patiently awaiting oxblood Dalton's from this sale. I wish I lived in a place where the weather is like fall in the Northeast year-round so I can wear boots more often!
f70b09937156cc0a9f5de8ee02d1145a.jpg

Have a blessed Sunday ya'll

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
Nope, I probably would of saved me a bunch of cash if I did go to the Leeds outlet store. I picked up pretty much everything I wanted this sale at my local AE store. The only thing I am on the fence about keeping is the pebble grain first avenues. It was either the chocolate dalton or the first ave. My girlffriend said that she liked the first ave better, since I have so many wing tips already. My SA agreed with her as well. So, with this haul and a recent purchase on the forum I am done until next sale (At least My wallet hopes so!)

Here is the updated haul from the RDA sale:

Snuff suede Dundees and belt
Chili Lexingtons and chili belt
Pebble grain first ave
Strand double flap brief case (love this. I almost want to pick up another one for my brother for a xmas present)

Why are you considering bringing back the First Ave's, just because you really want the Chocolate Dalton? Any other thoughts on the FA in Pebble? I thought it looked pretty nice when I saw it in person last week.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my Cognac McTavishes today with dark jeans. They looked great! They're also good with chinos.

A pic from my first day with them:
IMG_20150929_163811278_zpszbbyfang.jpg

My two pair McT's have quickly become favorites...
FWIW - here's a shot with jeans (color is off due to bad office lighting, but you get the idea...)

girlwitstyle

Reaction score
I'll offer my 2 cents since I literally just bought a pair of Tan McTavish's in 9EEE. I bought them as seconds, and without having previously tried on a pair in persons.

I found them to run slightly large, but more importantly I thought they just looked way too blobby in the wide size. I'm returning them for something sleeker (haven't figured out what that is yet though).
Hi DNSamurai

The guy I bought them for usually wears the Delray dress shoes by Allen Edmonds --- with JEANS! I didn't like this look and felt he needed a wingtip or something like the Dundee chukka. I went with McTavish because the finishing was more casual than the McGregor the sale team were pushing on me... I told them the end goal was to wear with Dark Levis which is his uniform.

The don't look blobby in the 10.5 EEE, they looked fairly nice. I think maybe in a 9 they could be? Also, he's a wider guy -- not slender -- so they will look proportionate on him.
I find the Delray's to look too long on his feet so welcome the change of a rounder looking shoe than long and pointy.
Well, he has the option to exchange. The pair of McTavish's in store were damaged so I had to order a fresh pair. I hope they look nice!

Thanks for your input tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads