• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoenoobie

Reaction score
Carlyle Black vs. Park Avenue Black - Which one is more formal?

PA is more like a classic cap toe, but my understanding was that the most formal is a whole cut, then plain toe and then the cap toe. I might have heard it wrong.

If I could only buy one pair, which one should I get.. for like a job interview? Carlyle black or PA black?

Thank you!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PA is more like a classic cap toe, but my understanding was that the most formal is a whole cut, then plain toe and then the cap toe. I might have heard it wrong.

If I could only buy one pair, which one should I get.. for like a job interview? Carlyle black or PA black?

Thank you!

Carlyle might be considered more formal, but the park ave is more somber, more conservative.

Wear the Carlyle in a black suit for a classy evening affair, and wear the park Ave in court, or to a funeral.

Or an interview.

Honestly both would be fine in most cases, but the Park Ave is less of a head turner, and therefore slightly more appropriate.

Last edited:

shoenoobie

Reaction score
Carlyle might be considered more formal, but the park ave is more somber, more conservative.

Wear the Carlyle in a black suit for a classy evening affair, and wear the park Ave in court, or to a funeral.

Or an interview.

Honestly both would be fine in most cases, but the Park Ave is less of a head turner, and therefore slightly more appropriate.
Ah I see what you mean by being a "head turner." Both look like they are formal "enough" for the most formal situations, but yeah Carlyle would certainly stand out more being just more sleeker and what not. If I have to choose then, I will wear the PA for interviews. Thanks again.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah I see what you mean by being a "head turner." Both look like they are formal "enough" for the most formal situations, but yeah Carlyle would certainly stand out more being just more sleeker and what not. If I have to choose then, I will wear the PA for interviews. Thanks again.

Of course...

Many who wear black captoes infrequently (like once or twice a year) choose to "go cheaper" (2nds or cheaper brands) on those shoes. After all, if the shoe isn't meant to attract attention, very few will be looking anyway...

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course...

Many who wear black captoes infrequently (like once or twice a year) choose to "go cheaper" (2nds or cheaper brands) on those shoes. After all, if the shoe isn't meant to attract attention, very few will be looking anyway...

Yup. I own ~20 pairs of AE shoes, but not a single cap toe balmoral among them.

For that, I own 2 pairs of used Johnston & Murphy Melton captoes I got for ~$30 each on eBay, in amazing condition. And the average person could t tell the difference between them and PAs anyway.

I wear a suit only a few times a year, and even then , I wear something a bit more flashy if it's a wedding.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you!

Either would be fine.
I would suggest trying both on, and picking the one that fits the best.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local store is selling all of their cordovan seconds during the RDA sale for $399 per pair. Not that great of a price in comparison to some of the other offerings.

HealthActuary

Reaction score
Yes they do make commission during the sales like majority of the stores. Thats why if some SA spends lot of time with me in helping me decide something and that day I decided not to buy; if I need to buy later, I go back and buy with that same SA and not someone else.
I called the assistant store manager that I've been buying from and who recently put an item I want on hold for me and found out that since she put the item on hold, I can purchase it with a different employee and the assistant store manager will still get the commission. Yay, I can get my briefcase a day early now.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Aaahhhh, shell... Specifically "in natural light" shell.

Fun to just look at (or brush or buff) when you're not wearing them!

tb43

Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of cappucino mcallisters! Will post pics when they get here. Is it stupid to topy a JR sole?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of cappucino mcallisters! Will post pics when they get here. Is it stupid to topy a JR sole?

No - if you want a topy and will wear the shoe more because of it - Topy away

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you get the 8.5e in buy and sell? Those looked immaculate.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good question......
Quite frankly, I can never understand why customers would have a sole guard installed over a JR sole. I try to talk them out of it. After-all you are paying a premium for JR leather which is the longest wearing leather.
Why not take advantage of that? Save your money for now. When the JR's eventually wear out have your soles replaced with a lessor grade leather (less expensive). Then have the sole guards applied.
In my mind that's the best way to maximize your investment and get the best performance.

rostov

Reaction score
Good question......
Quite frankly, I can never understand why customers would have a sole guard installed over a JR sole. I try to talk them out of it. After-all you are paying a premium for JR leather which is the longest wearing leather.
Why not take advantage of that? Save your money for now. When the JR's eventually wear out have your soles replaced with a lessor grade leather (less expensive). Then have the sole guards applied.
In my mind that's the best way to maximize your investment and get the best performance.

Thank you Nick! Great to see you in this thread.

Would you say the same if the shoes were double-blake stitched as well? My impression is that such shoes might be more dangerous to resole, but perhaps I'm incorrect? (Some AE shoes such as the Kenwood are double-blake stitched)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads