• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the Peppercorn pic for today. Wearing my Dan Akyroid Daltons today. Quite comfortable, but the eyelets overlap at my skinny ankles. Thinking of selling them because of this. :(

Reaction score

There is a yellow tag that says Vibram. I have a gumlite sole on a pair of Chippawa boots and I pretty much chewed through the entire heel last winter, so I agree with the assessment by the other poster.

I also have a pair with the soft gumlite sole. They've only been worn once but I think the sole is going to wear out very quickly. If they weren't so comfortable I might have returned them. I think they will be relegated to foul weather duty in coming months.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice. Which model is this? Size?

Dan Akyroid? Looking at the burnishing, I'd guess calf?

The Carmina is Detroit last size 10 EEE. Not the best fit, but I'm hanging in there with them.

Kahuna and I have running banter of Dalton vs Alden WTB. I find the latter more attractive because the former always reminds me of The Coneheads when I look down at my feet due to the long vamp and pointy toe.

Yes, walnut calf.

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kahuna and I have running banter of Dalton vs Alden WTB. I find the latter more attractive because the former always reminds me of The Coneheads when I look down at my feet due to the long vamp and pointy toe.

Yes, walnut calf.

I like them both, but prefer the Alden. Pretty clear when you put them side by side, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put down the Dalton as horrible and unworthy as some may on another thread.
peepwall[1].gif

rostov

Reaction score
The Carmina is Detroit last size 10 EEE. Not the best fit, but I'm hanging in there with them.

Gotcha. I'm planning to try 10.5 EE given its general availability (for Carmina), assuming I bite the bullet on them eventually.

Quote:
Nice. Mine are more oddly shaped, being too narrow and stretched wide in the vamp. More of a Jabba the Hut.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday everyone!

Still trying to will the arrival of fall weather. Dusted off the Chili Shakers. Love the look and feel of them... Except when standing still as they have a hump in the footbed that causes pain. Quick reminder of why they were in the back corner of my closet.

Maxy

Reaction score
Do AE sales associates and/or store managers make commission off sales?

A sales associate put an item on hold for me and if they make commission then I want to go in on a day he/she is working so he/she gets commission off my sale.
Yes they do make commission during the sales like majority of the stores. Thats why if some SA spends lot of time with me in helping me decide something and that day I decided not to buy; if I need to buy later, I go back and buy with that same SA and not someone else.

Last edited:

Gavilan

Reaction score
Yes they do make commission during the sales like majority of the stores. Thats why if some SA spends lot of time with me in helping me decide something and that day I decided not to buy; if I need to buy later, I go back and buy with that same SA and not someone else.

Conversely, are SAs adversely affected by returns? Do they lose the commission?

I've made a handful of returns lately (spur-of-the-moment purchases) and I'd hate to learn that the returns somehow harmed the SAs (would make me think twice before pulling the trigger on another impulse purchase).

Last edited:

Maxy

Reaction score

I've made a handful of returns lately (spur-of-the-moment purchases) and I'd hate to learn that the returns somehow harmed the SAs (would make me think twice before pulling the trigger on another impulse purchase).
Nope, returns are not affected to SA and not even to the store. It just impacts over Allen Edmonds brand and main manufacturing numbers. Most SA's indirectly give a hint that you can buy the shoe now and if you change your mind and its not worn, you can return it back later. For them its selling commission, the returns are based on the AE quality and comfort, so won't impact them.

Gavilan

Reaction score
Nope, returns are not affected to SA and not even to the store. It just impacts over Allen Edmonds brand and main manufacturing numbers. Most SA's indirectly give a hint that you can buy the shoe now and if you change your mind and its not worn, you can return it back later. For them its selling commission, the returns are based on the AE quality and comfort, so won't impact them.

Awesome. Thank you!

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this allowed here, but I wanted to pass along some great deals on some AE's.

PSA - anybody that wears what may be considered "non standard" sizes. My local menswear / shoe store (authorized AE dealer) is closing out some AE's in less popular sizes. Details and prices below. And if you call in the next few days, they are offering 20% off the sales prices shown here. You can call them and they will do credit card over the phone and ship (shipping costs will be added). The store is Teena Hicks Company in OKC if you want to look them up. You can contact James Robert at 405-235-4800. These are first quality AE's. They only have one of each item listed below.

Black Sanford 10A $95
Black Grayson 8B $95

Bourbon Strand 9D $195
Bourbon McAllister 10B $195
Walnut McAllister 9.5A $195
Black Vernon 10.5B $195
Walnut Flatiron 9D $195

Chris

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Returns are definitely subtracted from the SA's sales and yes it is deducted from their commissions. (Per an SA)

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... Starting to hear Carmina's cognac shell calling my name.

"They are so choice.  If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up."

I have the cognac LWB on the Detroit last.  They say Detroit is UK EE.  I got mine in UK 9.5 and it seems to translate well to my AE 10.5E in most lasts, including the 1 and the 7.

Wish I had a pic of them. Instead I'll offer another LWB, MacNeil (1.0) in the discontinued walnut grain. Sorry for the dim early morning light.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads