• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I was traveling for work last week, I stopped by an AE store in TX and I really liked the look of the First Avenue boot in brown grain calf. The combination of grain leather & dainite sole seems like a good fall/foul weather option.

Does anyone have real world examples of this makeup? I would also be interested to see how it looks with some wear/creasing. TIA!

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I was traveling for work last week, I stopped by an AE store in TX and I really liked the look of the First Avenue in brown grain calf. The combination of grain & dainite sole seems like a good fall/foul weather option.

Does anyone have real world examples of this makeup? I would also be interested to see how it looks with some wear/creasing. TIA!

I think the new grain they rolled out for the MacNeil 2 and the First Ave looks really nice...the few wear pictures of the non shell first aves I have seen left me less excited about the boot and what seems like a large unstructured toe cap - I think that is one boot you want to dial in your size pretty exact or have some fugly creased things on your foot.

Last edited:

Brown Dynamite

Reaction score

...what seems like a large unstructured toe cap..

I feel like this has been the case on the Eagle County, Eagle River and now the First Avenue. I wonder if they care (or even realize) that this leads to some pretty unattractive creases in a place they shouldn't be?

Last edited:

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the new grain they rolled out for the MacNeil 2 and the First Ave looks really nice...the few wear pictures of the non shell first aves I have seen left me less excited about the boot and what seems like a large unstructured toe cap - I think that is one boot you want to dial in your size pretty exact or have some fugly creased things on your foot.
That is the part that has me hesitant on them. I have been 8.5D in most AE lasts, but I would hate to buy them and get fugly creases on the cap toe. I have that issue with my walnut calf Strands due to mis-sizing and it bugs the heck out of me

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Agree

Here are my EC GMTO in Navy and I can live with this crease though I would prefer more structure in the toe but some First Ave's seem to have 2 lines of creasing beyond he captoe. Also I am a notorious feet behind the bottom of my chair sitter so I am always flexing the toes a ton

BKBridge

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to share some useful info. I've been gearing up for the RDA sale and asked my SA at the local to start ordering a couple of styles they don't have in stock.

For closeout styles I received the extra 15% discount, I'm picking them up this weekend so we'll see if that is actually the case.

Secondly, shell cordovan seconds are definitely $399 on the shoe bank.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Well worth trying on several pairs if you can at an AE store or even ordering 3 different sizes from AE directly. If I was buying the first ave I would go with the shortest boot I could and up the width. I did that with my Eagle Counties - 13E on Brannok and I went 12eee in the EC.

rostov

Reaction score
Got the RDA email this morning! Snatching Burgundy Shell Leed (seconds). As usual, I can expect pain and suffering from my wife, but it was the one thing I really needed (having no PTB in my rotation).

I also see that the shell Kenwood seconds are now $299 which is a steal! If I didn't already have a pair, I'd snatch them up. Dundee seconds in burgundy shell at 11 3E, which I've been waiting for, but passing up in lieu of the Leeds.

Been off the forum for a bit, but am I wrong to think the regular prices have increased *again*? Some of these sale prices are higher than the full prices were a few years ago.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well worth trying on several pairs if you can at an AE store or even ordering 3 different sizes from AE directly. If I was buying the first ave I would go with the shortest boot I could and up the width. I did that with my Eagle Counties - 13E on Brannok and I went 12eee in the EC.

This is a great suggestion. Problem is, my store seems to have very few options outside of D and a few E widths in house. You'd think a length of 8.5-9.5 would be pretty common. Sure they can order them in for me (and ask if I would like to pay for them in advance; this really bugged me, as it was a new last!!), but this does complicated the process. I also wonder how much reluctance they would have in ordering 3-4 different sizes.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got the RDA email this morning! Snatching Burgundy Shell Leed (seconds).  As usual, I can expect pain and suffering from my wife, but it was the one thing I really needed (having no PTB in my rotation).

I also see that the shell Kenwood seconds are now $299 which is a steal! If I didn't already have a pair, I'd snatch them up. Dundee seconds in burgundy shell at 11 3E, which I've been waiting for, but passing up in lieu of the Leeds.

Been off the forum for a bit, but am I wrong to think the regular prices have increased *again*? Some of these sale prices are higher than the full prices were a few years ago.

thanks, kopped the Shell Kenwood. I have them currently in cigar shell, added them in burgundy shell.

what's funny is my existing Kenwood in 9D are my most worn shoes for 3 seasons. easy to put on, they fit great, are super comfy, etc. I ordered another pair in 9D some months back and they gave me horrible pain the first day I wore them, so I got rid of them. thinking back, I think I gave up on them too soon as they likely just needed a break in period. Same size, it's bizarre they wouldn't end up fitting just as well, right? They haven't changed lasts or anything?

anyways I'll be more patient this time around

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Do it off the website then and you will not have to deal with store people at all. I have never had a problem ordering three pair and returning the ones I don't keep. True you will have to pay up front via a CC but you should have them and returned before your billing cycle hits.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone here is a 9EEE, there's a pair of webgem truffle shell McGraw loafers that look beautiful - for $297!

They're listed at the very end, alphabetically (before the shoes with no photos start) as simply "9844."

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you size them compared to other lasts...I am considering these

Kenwood are TTS. I wear 9D in them, 8.5 D Alden Barrie (which runs .5 size big), 9D in most other stuff

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kahuna75 - don't know what else you have, but id say the Kenwood is short length-wise. The 800 & 114 lasts are generally like this. I actually needed half size down but I think most people would say tts.

Shell Kenwood is clearance - it's actually been 297 for quite some time now.
1f609.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads