• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubirth

Reaction score
nice pick up! the strand is often the gateway drug to this crazy shoe addiction we all suffer from... good luck & enjoy them!
Thanx. Ive already got two more pairs picked out........
smile.gif

Last edited:

22busy

Reaction score
Any thoughts on what you would wear with this? Would navy or khaki dress chinos work?

Last edited:

Moose22

Reaction score
i bought the Rogue and i might have to exchange the 8E to an 8D. which is crazy, because i have a Ralph Lauren chukka boot made by AE that i bought last year, it's an 8.5 D and it's tight. I tried the 8 D and couldnt even get my left foot in.

I have rogues and a high instep. They fit me. Really nicely, in fact, and are a bit generous in the toebox. It is very different from the classic AE shapes.

Other lasts, notably the 5 and 7 lasts, which are the popular classics, I've got to play games because of my instep. If I go with my size either the sides pull in to crush my toe or the instep aches so I have to go up half a size and in the 5 last go from a D to an E then use tongue pads because the wider means my heel swims around too much.

I don't know what last that chukka is in, but they are definitely different and the 201 (Rogue) last is a lot kinder to some foot shapes.

Moose22

Reaction score
A Hopkinson in Merlot is available from The Shoe Bank in my size, so I made an inquiry to Customer Service. Here's the reply I received, including photo. It's indeed the PA style on a different last.

Ben at the Freeport store told me something like these were coming. I think the PA is the perfect conservative shoe for any suit. But, just my luck, they finally make the cap toe dress shoe in the last that fits me best and it's $100 more than the normal line.

At least they're giving me six months to save up for a pair.

smoothmoose

Reaction score

I'll pile onto this too - tried the maxfield in 7E, felt small, 7.5D too tight, 7.5E not bad but decided to pass. That was a while ago. I am currently wearing one of my favorite pairs - Maxfield, 7D and they fit just fine.
Where you guys finding your sizings smaller than 8? I just went to the San Francisco store today, and basically they said, the have very few models smaller than 8 in stock. Quite the bummer as I really wanted to try on a few different lasts.

The new Cornwallis looks great. Though I feel the Walnut color shows better in photos than in person.

randomnoob

Reaction score
I have rogues and a high instep. They fit me. Really nicely, in fact, and are a bit generous in the toebox. It is very different from the classic AE shapes.

Other lasts, notably the 5 and 7 lasts, which are the popular classics, I've got to play games because of my instep. If I go with my size either the sides pull in to crush my toe or the instep aches so I have to go up half a size and in the 5 last go from a D to an E then use tongue pads because the wider means my heel swims around too much.

I don't know what last that chukka is in, but they are definitely different and the 201 (Rogue) last is a lot kinder to some foot shapes.

i ordered a pair of Rogues in 8 D to see if they're a better fit than the 8 E. the Odenwald boots in 8 D are a great fit. dont know if the Rogues will be too narrow. I hope 8E is the best because the pair i got is beautiful, not a flaw on it.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Moose22 You made me think of that scene in Terminator Genisys where skynet grabs John and says, "You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?"
1f602.png

6 months? You do know the RDA is in less than one month....and the new independence stuff will probably be $100 off (as well as not get any lower for some time to follow).

gatszu

Reaction score

I actually wear these like my wolverines. They are conforming well to my feet and are now super comfortable. They look great with jeans
1f600.png

I don't see this as discouraging at all. They are morphing into something that uniquely fits you. As they age, they will get more and more wrinkled and weathered until they are a part of you. That's not discouraging, it's a love story.

AE has classified this as a "Dress Boot".

To each there own for sure, but I personally like "dress shoes" and "dress boots" to stay dressy looking, and have others (Wolverine 1000 Mile for one) for getting beat up and wrinkled.

I had thought that the stress was usually taken by the leather leading up to the seam of the cap, and not forward of it. Sometimes elongated cap toes seem to crease though, so maybe it's not out of the ordinary for a design of this nature.

Moose22

Reaction score
Don't know what the RDA is...

I guessed 6 months because the image says if it goes as planned, they'll be on the web at the end of January. August and February are antipodal on the calendar.

I'm in a lot less of a hurry now that I have those Rutledges on the way, though they're that burnished walnut color so not exactly as formal as the could be. I'd really like a conservative show in Merlot, Dark Brown, or Black at some point in the future, and probably should have held off on cap toes until I was ready, but $177 for an independence line shoe? That's stupid cheap. At that price, I'm expecting them to come tiger striped or with a seam misaligned or with a fluorescent yellow happy face drawn on the toe.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know what the RDA is...

I guessed 6 months because the image says if it goes as planned, they'll be on the web at the end of January. August and February are antipodal on the calendar.

I'm in a lot less of a hurry now that I have those Rutledges on the way, though they're that burnished walnut color so not exactly as formal as the could be. I'd really like a conservative show in Merlot, Dark Brown, or Black at some point in the future, and probably should have held off on cap toes until I was ready, but $177 for an independence line shoe? That's stupid cheap. At that price, I'm expecting them to come tiger striped or with a seam misaligned or with a fluorescent yellow happy face drawn on the toe.

Rediscover America event

http://blog.allenedmonds.com/2014/10/rediscover-america-sales-event-2014/

garland

Reaction score
It's not a beveled waist, and there's no shank. @garland is referring to the treatment of the edge at the waist area of the shoe, where AE bevels the sole edge, as Carmina and others do. It's currently done on the Rogue and Warwick. AE calls it "sculpted arches" on the website.

I suppose you would be correct. :) Although the Rogue and Warwick don't seem to have the same degree of finish on the sole edges. Regardless, I find the treatment on the new Indy line to be quite nice.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to taking quick photos of my entire rotation (except for running shoes, sandals, and beaters). Since most of the shoes are AE, I figured this is the best place for them. I did not clean or polish them up at all before the photos. Pardon my poor photo skills and variant lighting (this happened over 3 days) Figured I'd document them "as is."

Here's my sizing:

AE 10.5 EEE (except for the Regent Streets, which are 11 EEE)
Vass 44 H (P2 last)
Bonafe 10 H (946 last)

Not pictured are incoming MTOs:

Carmina x GYW Detroit PTB in Cognac shell
Carmina x GF Rain Chelsea in Brown museum
Carmina x GF Rain Chukka in Tobacco suede
Alden 975 LWB in Color 8
Vass Double Monkstrap in Oxblood calf

Here we go!

Regent Street in Chili Calf/Grain

McTavish in Grey Distressed Cowhide

Long Branch in Brown Grain Cowhide

McAllister MTO in Navy Suede

Neumora in Black Calf

Kenilworth MTO in Brown Cordovan

Strand in Brown Cordovan

Eagle River GMTO in Oxblood

Eagle County GMTO in Navy Calf

Vass Budapester MTO in Red-Brown Suede (P2 last)

Dalton in Walnut Calf

Bradleys in Burgundy Cordovan

Enzo Bonafe MTO Chukka in Plum Museum Calf (946 Last)

Park Aves in Burgundy Cordovan

Dundee MTO in Natural Cordovan

Shaker Heights MTO in Chili Calf / Tweed

Ardsley Park MTO in Brown Calf (for sale)

Amok in Snuff Suede (for sale)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads