• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

garland

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure of the point of your comment, especially how it fits with the question that I posed to the group. Is it that I have too many shoes? That I should not be asking for input? Perhaps I am wrong, but I sensed some negativity and unhelpfulness in your comment. (Easily could be me... been one of those weeks.)

Guess I enjoy variety too much to limit myself to only 7 shoes. At some point I imagine a handful will get shipped off and I'll begin my shell addiction. In regards to holes, yes, I will always see new/other shoes and want to add them to my collection. I don't think that necessarily correlates with the size of my collection, rather desire, disposable income, other obligations, wife's willingness to look the other way when a new shipment arrives, etc.

Hahah if I had to cut my rotation down to 7 pairs, 5 would be Daltons.

garland

Reaction score
I'd posted months back asking about the difference between the Independence and regular shoes. The description seems to indicate a different sole and lining. Well, the sole and lining are very nice, but it seems like that's not the only difference. The leather for the upper on these is like butter. These shoes are quite a bit more comfortable than my other AEs which is saying something.

The indy line uses a french veg tanned calf, which adds to the soft and supple feel of the shoes. Thats the biggest difference between the indy and classic dress lines.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not exactly sure of the point of your comment, especially how it fits with the question that I posed to the group. Is it that I have too many shoes? That I should not be asking for input? Perhaps I am wrong, but I sensed some negativity and unhelpfulness in your comment. (Easily could be me... been one of those weeks.)

Guess I enjoy variety too much to limit myself to only 7 shoes. At some point I imagine a handful will get shipped off and I'll begin my shell addiction. In regards to holes, yes, I will always see new/other shoes and want to add them to my collection. I don't think that necessarily correlates with the size of my collection, rather desire, disposable income, other obligations, wife's willingness to look the other way when a new shipment arrives, etc.

I suppose it was a combination of that...it's just that I saw a collection of 21 shoes and thought

1) if you've bought that many shoes and you feel you actually have "holes" - as opposed to 'aesthetic wants' - you've either probably duplicated a ton of styles or you just need to come around to the fact that you actually don't have 'holes' but rather 'don't need, but wants'. And that's ok, I get that you like variety, but I think making that small mental shift helped me before my shoe collection spiraled out of control. "enjoying variety" can quickly become something that looks like hoarding :)

2) if you've bought 21 pairs of AE at even $150 per pair, you've spent easily enough to have a small nice shell rotation* - so you're ready for sure from an income POV, it's just that I think you need to shift away from a huge collection to a smaller one. And your wife will be happier with less shipments :)

* my shoe collection is currently

C&J for RL Lindrick brown shell boot (bought now)
C&J for BB burgundy shell boot (bought new)
AE Kenwood brown shell loafer (bought new)
AE Bristol PTB in black cherry shell (bought very lightly used)

and

AE Park Avenue black calf (bought very lightly used)
Alden Ultimate Indy in brown chomexcel (bought very lightly used)

and I don't think I have any holes. I paid on average $300 per pair, which is probably a lot more than you, but that's just a way of saying that if you are ok with having less, you can have shell (but you do need to be opportunistic on sales/bargains/ebay etc)

(full disclosure I'm looking for another shell loafer, but those can be found fairly cheap if very lightly used, less than $300 for sure)

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it was a combination of that...it's just that I saw a collection of 21 shoes and thought

1) ... you just need to come around to the fact that you actually don't have 'holes' but rather 'don't need, but wants'.

We are talking about shoes here, not air, food, water, shelter. When it comes down to it, they are all wants. Just because I called them "holes" doesn't mean I said I had to have them or the world would end without them in my rotation. I just thought I could get some opinions from the group, use this to narrow down the options that are out there and consider if said "deal" is worth making a purchase.

2) ... you've spent easily enough to have a small nice shell rotation

Clearly I am not after a small shell rotation right now but, as I mentioned in a few posts, maybe down the line.

Quote:

2) it's just that I think you need to shift away from a huge collection to a smaller one.

Thanks for the feedback. Like shoes preference, I guess I would chalk this up to, well, preference.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Throwing this one out there to the forum:

To what occasions, or with what clothes, would you wear a suede chukka with a Dainite sole (like the Gobis currently on Allen Edmonds' clearance page) as opposed to a chunkier, crepe-soled chukka such as a Clark's desert boot? My suspicion is that, being slightly dressier, they could be the one pair of non-sneakers I bring with me on vacation. BUT they're not as dressy as pebble-grain or smooth calf would be, so I'm worried they might be out of place at a nice hotel or dressy restaurant.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt it would be out of place on a vacation for hotels and restaurants. No one will notice the dainite despite it being red. And the suede colour is neutral enough it isn't loud.

Jeans, chinos, linens, tweeds, maybe not dressy enough for proper wool pants, but your milage may vary. If you're talking vacation resorts down south pretty much anything goes, unless you're at a real high class $ joint...

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To what occasions, or with what clothes, would you wear a suede chukka with a Dainite sole (like the Gobis currently on Allen Edmonds' clearance page) as opposed to a chunkier, crepe-soled chukka such as a Clark's desert boot? My suspicion is that, being slightly dressier, they could be the one pair of non-sneakers I bring with me on vacation. BUT they're not as dressy as pebble-grain or smooth calf would be, so I'm worried they might be out of place at a nice hotel or dressy restaurant.

They look great with everything from tweed to cords....no suit pants or dress pants. Certainly any chino is a go for them

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear my brown suede Gobis with jeans primarily - but also a slightly casual button up and chinos. I think they look great with red/other color laces!

smoothmoose

Reaction score

I would totally rock the brown burnished Cornwallis with denim. I know the bal/blucher thing leaves it on the fancier side of the causal divide, but the toe medallion and the color go great with denim. If you are wearing a coat, you just make it look like you're dressing up the jeans not dressing down nice shoes.

I'm very tempted too, but am torn as I work in a a more casual environment. So I do want to be able to wear with jeans and khakis. More so since I ordered the Park Ave in merlot already.

How long does it take to hear back from these shoebankers, by the way? I sent a message a couple of days ago and called and left a message. Haven't heard a word. Makes me wish they were in Freeport instead of Wisconsin so I could call the guy and expect some good advice.

I got someone on the phone right away and placed my Park Ave order from the Brookfield location. I'm still waiting for the shipping confirmation though. How long does that usually take for others? I placed my order on Monday.

smoothmoose

Reaction score

If you ordered a pair of black Lexingtons, brown or walnut MacNeils, and burgundy Patriot loafers you could more or less cover all of your bases for $600, or about $450 at the shoebank. They have closed out several different models of suede chukkas and classic-looking penny loafers in the past two years. Unless you need an unimpeachable classic like a Park Avenue, you could put together a full wardrobe from their clearance section.
Actually even the Park Ave is on Clearance right now...thought limited sizes and only in Merlot: http://www.allenedmonds.com/clearan...5.html?dwvar_SF5875_color=5875#sz=18&start=22

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was doing some Google searching and found a spreadsheet that has provided many answers to my questions about various AE model numbers, names, when it was introduced, when it was discontinued and the type of leather used in the shoe. It also lists the recommended cleaning product, premium polish and shoe cream alternative. Finally, are the recommended wax polish alternative, sole edge color and the length, color and style of laces. Once you open this you will be able to download it in PDF format. I suggest you save the document locally as there is no telling when this may disappear from the AE server. It is not completely up to date, but it is far better than having to ask questions every time I see an older shoe that is new to me. It appears this data ends near the end of 2012. Enjoy.

http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/ShoeCareReference.pdf

Last edited:

rc121

Reaction score

There is currently a pair of Truffle Shell McGraws in my size on Shoebank. The only other loafer I've tried is the Patriot, which was impossible to get my foot in without going up 2-3 size from my normal size. 

Are the McGraws more accommodating of a wide foot (EEE) with a high instep?

Thanks. 
if you are talking about the 8 EEE, there is either something really wrong with them or its an error and they really dont have it. I've been checking the shoebank inventory for 3 years and those popup and then disappear and theb reappear. If you end up ordering them, I'd be curious to see what happens.

rc121

Reaction score
I've been waiting for some gobi's to hit the shoebank in my size but now that they are on clearance for firsts I'm going to pull the trigger. I'm curious on the sizing though, as I've heard people suggest going down a width. I'm a EEE so I'd have to go down two widths to an E, which I dont think will work. How about going down a half size and staying the same width? Being suede chukkas, I could just stick with my normal size and wear thicker socks if that might work.

YoungSweet

Reaction score

I've been waiting for some gobi's to hit the shoebank in my size but now that they are on clearance for firsts I'm going to pull the trigger. I'm curious on the sizing though, as I've heard people suggest going down a width. I'm a EEE so I'd have to go down two widths to an E, which I dont think will work. How about going down a half size and staying the same width? Being suede chukkas, I could just stick with my normal size and wear thicker socks if that might work.

Fwiw I went down half a size same width from my 65 last size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads