• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Thanks. I just ordered my first AE Park Ave on Monday, so I have no idea about relative fit. In general, I tend to have a wider ball and toe box requirement, average instep, and average to slightly narrow heel.

But I found this on the Q&A on the Cornwallis page and this seems to be encouraging. Now if I buy 2 pairs of shoes in a week, I have some explaining to do with my wife and concede she can add 4 new times to her collection.... :embar:

The 1943 Last is a derivative of our established 333 Last. We held the heel of the 333, reduced the toe length and widened the fit across the ball of the foot. It has a sophisticated shelf look and a traditional aesthetic tying back to our iconic dress lasts. It is difficult to determine a proper fit through this channel because each last will fit differently based on the contours of your feet.

It is vitally important to visit an Allen Edmonds retail store or retail partner for a professional fitting to increase your chances of being fit correctly for each last and style. However, keep in mind that products purchased on allenedmonds.com may be returned at any time, as long as the item is unused and accompanied by the packing slip. Trying the shoes on a carpeted surface will help prevent scuffing on the sole and keep the shoes in returnable condition.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I tried on the Cornwallis the other day, it's really a beautiful shoe.. one of the nicest AE's I've seen.

It was a bit tight on the top of my arch though (maybe i have too high of an instep for them?), couldn't buy it on the spot but I really want to try one more time.

Anyone else get this experience on the new last?

Shoes4play

Reaction score
Walton Wednesday

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Highly depends on your work and travel itinerary. I am adamant in fitting everything in a carry-on and also like to go for a run and/or hit the gym. So I'm packing gym clothes and trainers as well. No room for trees or another pair of shoes. I agree with getting wearing versatile jacket. But some client/work environments requires a full suit and tie and that does make packing a single suit/jacket more challenging.

I also adhere to a strict carry-on only policy. Typical load in my roller bag looks something like this:

- Second pair of 'dress' shoes with trees (i.e. AEs. I try to travel with shoes that can be dressed up or down for flexibility).
- Running shoes.
- Workout clothes
- Socks, underwear, night clothes, pocket squares, bow/neck ties.
- Second jacket.
- Pants. My rule of thumb is 2 wears per pair with at least 1 day between wearings.
- Button down shirts - 1 wearing each.
- Casual shirt(s) - optional and usually left out.

Toiletries and a sweater go in my briefcase. Toiletries are there so I can load/unload them at the same time as my laptop at security and the sweater is there for easy access on cold flights.

I wear more odd jacket/trouser combos than full suits, but this arrangement has served me well either way. I've gone on 10 day trips, without checking bags and with a second pair of shoes. I'm not saying it has to be done this way, merely pointing out it's possible.

RichieP

Reaction score

Picked up a couple pair of Desoto's for $87 each. They seem to be made of the same leather as my Cronmoks, which means they are VERY flexible and thus very, very comfortable. Mainly I wanted them as something I would wear sockless in the summer as an alternative to my Maritime boat shoes.
[/spoeiler]
Interesting. Which colors? What size did you get, compared to the 65 last? I've been looking for something to knock around in. My old pre-AE era J&M slip ons are really getting worse. They're relegated to dog walking duty in the morning wet grass now. :confused:

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking seriously on some AE boat shoes on the shoebank. Was there some kind of loafer sale last fall as the weather turned? Want to wait, but getting that itch...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking on getting a pair of Randolphs from the Shoe Bank as an everyday business casual shoe. Thoughts on chili vs bourbon? I'm thinking that the chili is a much nicer looking color, but I'm concerned about the versatility as a daily shoe.
My vote, for what its worth, is for the chili. In my rotation, I am just finding the chili goes better with more colors. The only time I think the bourbon walnut section of the closet is better is with very light gray slacks. Then I think the chili is a bit too much contrasts. Just a personal opinion, but you asked.

newuser123

Reaction score

I also adhere to a strict carry-on only policy. Typical load in my roller bag looks something like this:

- Second pair of 'dress' shoes with trees (i.e. AEs. I try to travel with shoes that can be dressed up or down for flexibility).
- Running shoes.
- Workout clothes
- Socks, underwear, night clothes, pocket squares, bow/neck ties.
- Second jacket.
- Pants. My rule of thumb is 2 wears per pair with at least 1 day between wearings.
- Button down shirts - 1 wearing each.
- Casual shirt(s) - optional and usually left out.

Toiletries and a sweater go in my briefcase. Toiletries are there so I can load/unload them at the same time as my laptop at security and the sweater is there for easy access on cold flights.

I wear more odd jacket/trouser combos than full suits, but this arrangement has served me well either way. I've gone on 10 day trips, without checking bags and with a second pair of shoes. I'm not saying it has to be done this way, merely pointing out it's possible.

Never did toiletries in briefcase. I will give your pack list a try on my next trip and see if I can fit it. To bring this discussion back on topic, you say you like to travel with AE shoes that can be dressed up or down. What two-shoe combos do you recommend? I am a newbie and looking to expand my collection, but would like to maintain as much flexibility as possible.

BoxSRS60

Reaction score
You can't. Once a toe box is crushed/creased they're toast. Done. Finished. Kaput.
I'm not arguing, just honestly curious. A recrafting wouldn't/couldn't fix that? I understand that they take the shoes apart and rebuild them on the last. Or is the leather like metal that's gotten a crease and is now too deformed to go back?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never did toiletries in briefcase. I will give your pack list a try on my next trip and see if I can fit it. To bring this discussion back on topic, you say you like to travel with AE shoes that can be dressed up or down. What two-shoe combos do you recommend? I am a newbie and looking to expand my collection, but would like to maintain as much flexibility as possible.

I would recommend reading up on the past few pages. There were a few folks who asked about versatile models, and their questions garnered several good suggestions.

Last edited:

RitchieBro

Reaction score

I'm not arguing, just honestly curious.  A recrafting wouldn't/couldn't fix that?  I understand that they take the shoes apart and rebuild them on the last.  Or is the leather like metal that's gotten a crease and is now too deformed to go back?

No one is arguing....???
Creases like that just never go away.

BoxSRS60

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of shoes from the Independence line. I'd been eyeing the closeout Jeffersons on shoebank for a while. I wanted a new pair of black shoes, and I really wanted a pair of shoes in Walnut. I watched them and watched them until they disappeared from shoebank. I told my wife about them and she said "if they were that good a deal, you should have bought them."

Bummer! Well, I did a random "drive-by" on shoebank the other day and saw that there was both a black pair and a walnut pair back on shoebank at $199. So I immediately called the missus, and she said "order them both and then you can pick the best one." I ordered both, and we were both thinking that I would end up keeping both. Hey, it was my birthday after all.

When they arrived, I tried them. The black pair was practically, cosmetically perfect. I think I found the "flaw", a small gouge at the edge of the welt at the heal, but besides the cosmetic flaw, they fit more like a 10 1/2 D than a 10 1/2 E. The laces don't close up as nicely as I'd like. The Walnut pair has some uneven coloring, but it's nothing that I can't live with and the fit is fantastic so I'm keeping those. I'm pretty bummed that I'm not keeping the black pair.

I'd posted months back asking about the difference between the Independence and regular shoes. The description seems to indicate a different sole and lining. Well, the sole and lining are very nice, but it seems like that's not the only difference. The leather for the upper on these is like butter. These shoes are quite a bit more comfortable than my other AEs which is saying something.

I still need to get a pair of something in cordovan to compare to my other shoes and see what all of the fuss is about, but I do love these Jeffersons!

PS I then realized that I need a walnut belt, so I ordered one from Beth in Jeffersonville. Well, what's the point in ordering something and not getting the free shipping? So I also ordered a pair of the closeout MacNeils in black calf. Hopefully, I'm happy with the fit and I get to give them a good home.

BoxSRS60

Reaction score
No one is arguing....???
Some folks online get testy if they think that you've "questioned" them, so I like to add a disclaimer to make sure there are no misunderstandings.

Not that I'd ever buy a pair of shoes like that, but I was curious. Thanks

miketheraven

Reaction score
It's a brand new pair of the new Normandy boots that I got for under $100. So even if they can't be fixed, I'm still satisfied with my purchase. I was simply hoping someone knew a way to minimize the look of the creases, though I know completely removing them is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads