• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

titojackson

Reaction score
I'm thinking on getting a pair of Randolphs from the Shoe Bank as an everyday business casual shoe. Thoughts on chili vs bourbon? I'm thinking that the chili is a much nicer looking color, but I'm concerned about the versatility as a daily shoe.

RLeslieS

Reaction score
^
IMO, Chili is very versatile. I happen to be wearing my Chili Byrons (my first AE shoes) today. Fifteen years later and they still look great!

Last edited:

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Anyone have an idea on how I can fix this?

You can't. Once a toe box is crushed/creased they're toast. Done. Finished. Kaput.

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Here they are, being tried on at the AE store (and these are not representative of the pants or socks I would typically wear them with).
They look great. How is the fit of the last? Looks pretty slim. This seems to be a new shoe and last as there's no additional info on the last page. I just saw a Cornwallis pop up in my size on Shoebank, so now I am very tempted.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I think that bourbon looks lighter and more casual in person than it does on the website. I still like it, but I wouldn't say it is appreciably more formal than chili.

I'm thinking on getting a pair of Randolphs from the Shoe Bank as an everyday business casual shoe. Thoughts on chili vs bourbon? I'm thinking that the chili is a much nicer looking color, but I'm concerned about the versatility as a daily shoe.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I saw an Allen Edmonds banner ad for a clearance sale on suede belts, so I went to AllenEdmonds.com to buy one bitter chocolate to go with the Fifth Avenues I bought earlier this summer. While I was in the clearance section, I saw that they had added the next two items on my "to-buy" list -- brown longwings (MacNeil 1.0, $197) and sand-colored suede chukkas with a Dainite sole (Gobi, 137). I limited myself to just the longwings (my crepe-soled desert boots will have to last me another season), but I was pleased to see the additions. It's amazing to me what they end up clearing out.

newuser123

Reaction score

Hmm...I definitely pack my trees if it's more than a night or 2.  I mean...they don't take much space since they fit inside your shoe!  Not super heavy too.  2 suits is a ton.  I'm not sure what you need them for, but just a suggestion:  try picking up a suit like this:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...ts&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Contemporary-Hudson

jacket can easily be worn separately as a blazer.  So you can wear the suit then wear the jacket as a blazer with nice gray slacks.  then the pants be worn with a white polo (if it's hot enough).  Bang, 1 suit, 3 outfits.

I'm a lawyer, usually in meetings or depositions which require full suit and if more than 2 consecutive days I am not comfortable wearing the same suit.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

It's amazing to me what they end up clearing out.

+1. Now that I have a basic shoe rotation, I pretty much sit back and wait for insane clearance sales. I'm not sure if that 'strategy' is really saving me anything as I'll end up buying things that were never really on my acquisition list.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking nice and I really like the chilli color ... I did the same and went with dalton today ...

Thanks!! I love chili. My favorite AE color. In other news, my doctor recognized my shoes and is a fellow AE enthusiast. I've seen him in black and walnut strands now...

Last edited:

DNSamurai

Reaction score
There is currently a pair of Truffle Shell McGraws in my size on Shoebank. The only other loafer I've tried is the Patriot, which was impossible to get my foot in without going up 2-3 size from my normal size.

Are the McGraws more accommodating of a wide foot (EEE) with a high instep?

Thanks.

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Hmm...I definitely pack my trees if it's more than a night or 2.  I mean...they don't take much space since they fit inside your shoe!  Not super heavy too.  2 suits is a ton.  I'm not sure what you need them for, but just a suggestion:  try picking up a suit like this:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...ts&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Contemporary-Hudson

jacket can easily be worn separately as a blazer.  So you can wear the suit then wear the jacket as a blazer with nice gray slacks.  then the pants be worn with a white polo (if it's hot enough).  Bang, 1 suit, 3 outfits.
Highly depends on your work and travel itinerary. I am adamant in fitting everything in a carry-on and also like to go for a run and/or hit the gym. So I'm packing gym clothes and trainers as well. No room for trees or another pair of shoes. I agree with getting wearing versatile jacket. But some client/work environments requires a full suit and tie and that does make packing a single suit/jacket more challenging.

bathiel

Reaction score

They look great. How is the fit of the last? Looks pretty slim. This seems to be a new shoe and last as there's no additional info on the last page. I just saw a Cornwallis pop up in my size on Shoebank, so now I am very tempted.

It's a new last. Fits a lot like the Franciscan and University. I went down a half size from my regular 8.5 and it fits really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads