• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote: I have some walnut Rogues and decided I liked Chili better. For the past several months I occasionally polish the shoe with a very light coat of AE Chili polish. It is making them a darker and richer move towards chili and away from the orange of the walnut. But I think our suggestions only give a general idea this is much like asking for the group on spices in a stew. The end result is going to be up to you to decide if you like it.

garland

Reaction score
I just noticed your sig. You have FIVE daltons???? How do you decide between cordovan color and the oxblood calf? or walnut and bourbon for that matter??

Awesome.

Hahah. Well. Honestly it depends on what I'm going for. The walnut are definitely my most worn and most loved, being the first. I wear navy flat laces in them, giving them a much more casual vibe. The burgundy shell are the dressiest, and fit the best. I wear them with blazers and suits mostly. My bourbon are a hair snug, and are what I do a lot of color experimenting on. They get worn the least probably. My oxblood are the newest and receive a fair amount of wear because they have the tap lug sole. They definitely don't feel as dressy as my burgundy cordovans, so I wear them more "business casual". And the navy....well. yeah. I wear them a lot.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking I would use the Labor Day sale to add a couple of 2nds to help fill a hole or two in my rotation, as well as address my recent foot issues (already shared some of my issues, so I won't go into detail). None of the sale prices jumped out at me to the point that I had to purchase something and the ATL's help fill the (hopefully) shorter team need for comfort.

Any thoughts on one or two shoes, perhaps included in the sale, that are missing from my current collection?

I work in an academic setting, typically the low end of business casual (khaki/trousers + button up, jeans on Friday). Also, as part of my job I conduct visits (~2-3 days) to other universities about 10 times a year. During these visits I wear a suit without a tie or a trouser/coat combo. Since I am traveling, I like options that are versatile enough to go from plane ride to important meetings to jeans at dinner. (I've used Bleecker boots, Kenilworths in the past; could see using some of the road warriors in this manner too.)

So, as you can see my shoe needs lean more towards casual then dressy. I know I am missing the staples (i.e. Strands, Park Avenue, loafers), but I just don't think I will wear them enough to justify a purchase. Perhaps a heavier soled boot (missed out on the bayfield/eagle MTOs) or a double monk? I am still a ways away from entering the shell game... but some day I'm sure.

McTavish Black
McTavish Tan (natural?)
Kenilworth Bourbon
Carlyle Bob's Chili
Walnut Black Hills PTB
Rogue Bob's Chili
Clark St Natural CXL
Franciscan Bob's Chili
Fenway Walnut
Amok Tan suede
Addison Tan rough
Fullerton Choc suede
Gobi Snuff suede
Shaker Height Chili
Bleecker Street Bob's Chili
Dalton Walnut
LGA Walnut
ATL Brown
MKE Bob's Chili
Kirkwood Blue CXL
Maritime Light CXL

Sold off or returned:
Bourbon Daltons, Calf Eagle Rivers, Brown Calf Fullerton and Boulder slip on.

Thanks, gents!

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Was thinking I would use the Labor Day sale to add a couple of 2nds to help fill a hole or two in my rotation, as well as address my recent foot issues (already shared some of my issues, so I won't go into detail). None of the sale prices jumped out at me to the point that I had to purchase something and the ATL's help fill the (hopefully) shorter team need for comfort.

Any thoughts on one or two shoes, perhaps included in the sale, that are missing from my current collection? 

I work in an academic setting, typically the low end of business casual (khaki/trousers + button up, jeans on Friday). Also, as part of my job I conduct visits (~2-3 days) to other universities about 10 times a year. During these visits I wear a suit without a tie or a trouser/coat combo. Since I am traveling, I like options that are versatile enough to go from plane ride to important meetings to jeans at dinner. (I've used Bleecker boots, Kenilworths in the past; could see using some of the road warriors in this manner too.)

So, as you can see my shoe needs lean more towards casual then dressy. I know I am missing the staples (i.e. Strands, Park Avenue, loafers), but I just don't think I will wear them enough to justify a purchase. Perhaps a heavier soled boot (missed out on the bayfield/eagle MTOs) or a double monk? I am still a ways away from entering the shell game... but some day I'm sure.

McTavish Black 
McTavish Tan (natural?) 
Kenilworth Bourbon 
Carlyle Bob's Chili 
Walnut Black Hills PTB
Rogue Bob's Chili 

Clark St Natural CXL

Franciscan Bob's Chili 
Fenway Walnut 
Amok Tan suede 
Addison Tan rough 
Fullerton Choc suede 

Gobi Snuff suede 

Shaker Height Chili

Dalton Walnut
LGA Walnut
ATL Brown
MKE Bob's Chili

Kirkwood Blue CXL 
Maritime Light CXL

Sold off or returned:

Thanks, gents!
Wow. If I had such a long list, I could not imagine what my wife would justify to extend hers!

garland

Reaction score

So, as you can see my shoe needs lean more towards casual then dressy. I know I am missing the staples (i.e. Strands, Park Avenue, loafers), but I just don't think I will wear them enough to justify a purchase. Perhaps a heavier soled boot (missed out on the bayfield/eagle MTOs) or a double monk? I am still a ways away from entering the shell game... but some day I'm sure.

McTavish Black
McTavish Tan (natural?)
Kenilworth Bourbon
Carlyle Bob's Chili
Walnut Black Hills PTB
Rogue Bob's Chili
Clark St Natural CXL
Franciscan Bob's Chili
Fenway Walnut
Amok Tan suede
Addison Tan rough
Fullerton Choc suede
Gobi Snuff suede
Shaker Height Chili
Dalton Walnut
LGA Walnut
ATL Brown
MKE Bob's Chili
Kirkwood Blue CXL
Maritime Light CXL

Sold off or returned:

Thanks, gents!

If youre open to boots, seriously check out the first ave. Looks like your light on dark brown, you could do the polished calf in brown. I think its dressy enough to wear with a blazer or jacket, and can be dressed down to jeans very easily.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, as neo likes to mention, the RL Sanderson is my favorite AE-made shoe. I own a pair in brown and a pair in tan (walnut). Recently, I had the opportunity to get another pair in tan/walnut for a steal (a pair of "thirds" from dabondo in pristine condition except for a very minor superficial cut in the leather near the right medial shoe where it meets the welt). So now I have two pairs, and this second pair has a v-tread outsole, so I considered making them "beater" nice shoes. However, having them in my hands, I had another thought . . . they seem every so barely darker color than the pair I already have (still walnut, but a hair darker perhaps). I have plenty of chili premium polish (classic chili, not bob's). I've considered trying to darken them a bit with chili hues using that polish.

Has anyone here used chili polish on walnut shoes?

edit: I just saw that @smfdoc has done it on his Rogues.

Got any pics of them, smfdoc?

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some walnut Rogues and decided I liked Chili better. For the past several months I occasionally polish the shoe with a very light coat of AE Chili polish. It is making them a darker and richer move towards chili and away from the orange of the walnut. But I think our suggestions only give a general idea this is much like asking for the group on spices in a stew. The end result is going to be up to you to decide if you like it.

AE's old "cognac" color polish is pretty much spot on for their current walnut color. Looks identical, no orange undertones. Unfortunately it's hard to find, but if you do, jump on it.

Otherwise, I alternate that with neutral AE polish.

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old cognac was/is perfect for AE walnut. I've been alternating my last tube with Saphir's lightest brown/tan. But when this tube is gone, it's gone. I have no idea why AE ever dropped it.
1f629.png

shoetree

Reaction score

I have a 12 and 13 on the way so I will let you know.

Thanks for your reply. I got a chance to stop into AE today and the salesman told me they (northland) run small and not to size down as I normally would for a loafer. I went TTS and they are still fairly tight. I expect they will break in nicely.

HealthActuary

Reaction score
65 last shoe by any chance? A few of mine do that in the left foot but I've accepted it because my left is difficult to fit as it's 1/2 longer than my right so I figured maybe I get the lump in that shoe because it's not the ideal size for that foot.
yes a 65 last shoe, specifically the mcallister.

my strand and park ave in the same size as the mcallister have no issues with the footbed and they fit like a glove.

the lump/bump in the right footbed of the mcallister is definitely a defect that cant be caught via QC. Gotta wait another 3 weeks now :(

tharkun

Reaction score

FWIW - there are certainly others here with more exp. than me, but....

Once upon a time I thought I wore an 8.5D..first 5-last pair of PA's are too tight in the toebox, and the V-gap is huge.

so for my Strandmoks - which also have a Poron insole - I went to an 8.5E to accommodate the insole...they're much more comfortable for sure, but if anything not quite as snug as I would like - although very very wearable, they are definitely a little long, like most 5-last shoes.

Moral is:  I say you go + width, as I find the 5-last narrow, but DEF not + length...

Indeed, if you CAN, I'd try BOTH a 9D and a 9.5D

Oh, and I'm now certain I am an 8E in the 65's...:)

What if I'm already 3E? I have never tried a 65 last shoe but would certainly like to have more options. I'll need boots soon too ;). Maybe you know the Leeds and can compare a bit?

I have 8.5 3E Leeds (511 last). That one still hurt the right pinky quite a bit at first but its getting better with wear. I wouldn't want to go up to 9 though as my left foot is a size smaller, which means the 8 I tried first was already too big. Now the 511 is said to already have more space. Would that make me a 9 to 9.5 3E in the 65 just to get the same space? Or would the length of the 65 last make up for it? I can't just go try it, since there's no AE store around here and the affiliate I contacted has no 3Es.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If youre open to boots, seriously check out the first ave. Looks like your light on dark brown, you could do the polished calf in brown. I think its dressy enough to wear with a blazer or jacket, and can be dressed down to jeans very easily. 

+1 to garland's comments on the first Aves. I've handled them in person several times and will definitely be picking them up during the RDA sale. It's on a fairly sleek last but still a derby boot, so can be dressed down. You could go with one of the grain leathers if you want to dress it down further.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, as neo likes to mention, the RL Sanderson is my favorite AE-made shoe. I own a pair in brown and a pair in tan (walnut). Recently, I had the opportunity to get another pair in tan/walnut for a steal (a pair of "thirds" from dabondo in pristine condition except for a very minor superficial cut in the leather near the right medial shoe where it meets the welt). So now I have two pairs, and this second pair has a v-tread outsole, so I considered making them "beater" nice shoes. However, having them in my hands, I had another thought . . . they seem every so barely darker color than the pair I already have (still walnut, but a hair darker perhaps). I have plenty of chili premium polish (classic chili, not bob's). I've considered trying to darken them a bit with chili hues using that polish.

Has anyone here used chili polish on walnut shoes?

edit: I just saw that @smfdoc has done it on his Rogues.

Got any pics of them, smfdoc?
Lol - just wanted to mention that after all of your posts related to the maritime and how you ended up with like 6 pairs I finally caved - I'll let you know which color I end up with
satisfied.gif
. I never wear boat shoes...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads