• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a quick question on this.  I'm looking at buying a pair of AE for Brooks Brothers Strands from the shoe bank as my first pair of AE.  I got fitted at the Allen Edmonds store in town, and they said that I'm a 9.5C in shoes that are available in that width, and a 10B in ones that aren't.  I've also read elsewhere that the shoes with the Poron insoles are a tighter fit.  For those of you who have tried them, would you recommend that I adjust my size?  If so, would I adjust the width (i.e. moving up to a 9.5D) or the size (i.e. moving up to a 10C)?  Thanks!

My BB Park Aves are 9.5D, but my strands are 9D because there is no poron insole. I'm a 9D in the 65, 333, 234 and 1. However, I have size up for poron soles.

There's probably more who have experience with AE and I've since moved up to Carmina's for daily wear.

Last edited:

garland

Reaction score
@garland
Any ideas on what the Richmond Street is? It popped up in my size on the shoebank for $314, so based on the price I'm assuming its a boot.

I also noticed another shoe called the sojourner which I couldnt find anywhere either.

The Richmond Street is a McAllister built on the 201 last. Probably another international shoe.

The Sojourner..... as far as i know... is a casual cemented laceup? It should have a similar sole to the Boulder driving moc.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
What are the odds that these are she'll cordovan? They're burgundy Leeds, feel much heavier and thicker than other pairs d Allen Edmonds. $45 in a secondhand store.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are the odds that these are she'll cordovan? They're burgundy Leeds, feel much heavier and thicker than other pairs d Allen Edmonds. $45 in a secondhand store.

Looks like cordovan from that pic. What does the sole look like?

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Ouch! Sorry to hear that about the merlot PA as I just bought them. Oh well, we will see what they look like when they arrive. It's unlikely that they ALL have finish issues, so maybe a good one will slip through to me.
I just ordered the Park Avenue Merlot in 7.5E. The customer rep said he couldn't see what the defect was on the pair he had on hand. Hoping for the best as this is my first AE order.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Open question to all. I was looking at a pair of Mapletons that were said to be "oil tanned brown leather." They do look dark as if there is an oil element to these casual shoes. I would appreciate any pro/con comments from those who might be familiar with this type of finish. What can be done to maintain such shoes? Can they be polished or are the scuff areas just a permanent feature. Many thanks for any comments.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on what I can see, those look like shell. AE doesn't really do combination heels on calfskin shoes except Vernon and the BB models. Plus the crews song pattern looks like cordovan, from what I can see.

How does it smell? ;)

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
No odor. They're not my size, but at that price maybe it's worth flipping them on eBay or giving them to a friend. Size 11E.
Based on what I can see, those look like shell. AE doesn't really do combination heels on calfskin shoes except Vernon and the BB models. Plus the crews song pattern looks like cordovan, from what I can see.

How does it smell? ;)

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does it smell?
wink.gif

+1, based off the combination heel and appearance (folds versus creases) it looks like it's shell. Too bad the Horween stamp on the sole is wore out to make it clear as day. Is there a model number to reference?

now just brush & polish those babies to give them their shell shine
fing02[1].gif

Last edited:

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
They're stamped 00987 10 9591 4913

+1, based off the combination heel and appearance (folds versus creases) it looks like it's shell.  Too bad the Horween stamp on the sole is wore out to make it clear as day.  Is there a model number to referencesnow just brush & polish those babies to give them their shell shine
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

garland

Reaction score

Al Dente

Reaction score

First day in my new (to me) Marlow's. These were produced in 1992 from what I can find. These came in so dark burgundy they were almost black.

Ended up stripping them to an almost cherry red and redying them with cordovan, green, and mahogany leather dye, mixed in with healthy doses of saphir navy shoe cream. Hard to tell with artificial lighting, but I'm thrilled with the depth of color they have now.

c757bf0b2584aab89e750a963acd2e2c.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Do you have a before picture? I like the color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads