• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultravisitor

Reaction score

Is no one else put off by the fact that the Maritime and Kirkwood are the lesser AE brand, manufactured in the Dominican Republic?....Im particularly fond of the Maritime...but I just couldnt bring myself to purchase the budget brand, of an already budget brand shoe.

When I first saw the Kirkwood, I was a bit disappointed that they're from the AE line. However, I got over it quickly since they're very nicely made--I love Chromexcel leather--and I can get them easily in an 8.5EEE. I also don't want to spend too much on boat shoes. Find me a better made beefroll penny boat in Chromexcel that I can easily get in an 8.5EEE that is also in the same price range, and then maybe I'll be put off by my Kirkwoods being from the lesser AE made in DR brand.

rush1

Reaction score
Just saw a Leeds 2.0 at Allen Edmonds website, what is the difference between the Leeds 2.0 and the previous one guys? Tried to look it up in the website but couldn't find the explanation.

garland

Reaction score
From what I understand, Its going to be some small changes to the uppers. No piping on the topline, slightly different seaming techniques, with the addition of a poron pad and either a butyl sole or a dainite depending on the style. Basically they're updated enough to warrant a new name designation.

awkward, quoting myself.

Last edited:

RitchieBro

Reaction score

rostov

Reaction score

Quote:Of all the AEs that I own, two are DR-manufactured - the Grand Cayman & the Duke. Tough call - are they noticeably inferior to the normal AE line? Others might disagree, but I would say absolutely. Are they still leaps and bounds above other brands - absolutely. And I would say the pricepoint of the Kirkwood / Maritime more than makes up for it. If you have a use for them, go for it.
I agree about the price, but in regard to the Duke, I found them very well constructed. They're not that different from my shell Kenwoods. The fact they cannot be resoled is an issue, but that's part for the course at that price. Also, I suspect a cobbler could resole them anyway. They're actually Blake stitched with the rubber sole cemented. Tough to do, but might not be impossible. Keep in mind that the Duke has a higher quality cousin at BB. They're not that different apart from the sole.

rostov

Reaction score
Is no one else put off by the fact that the Maritime and Kirkwood are the lesser AE brand, manufactured in the Dominican Republic?....Im particularly fond of the Maritime...but I just couldnt bring myself to purchase the budget brand, of an already budget brand shoe.

When I first saw the Kirkwood, I was a bit disappointed that they're from the AE line. However, I got over it quickly since they're very nicely made--I love Chromexcel leather--and I can get them easily in an 8.5EEE. I also don't want to spend too much on boat shoes. Find me a better made beefroll penny boat in Chromexcel that I can easily get in an 8.5EEE that is also in the same price range, and then maybe I'll be put off by my Kirkwoods being from the lesser AE made in DR brand.

Quoddy is our only other real option. Rancourt if you can squeeze a 2E. Rockport Perths are nice in 3E but not CXL and far less of a shoe for ~$125.

Maxy

Reaction score
The best belt for those shoes is the dark chili Manistee.

Thanks for pointing me in right direction. Looks good and unfortunately its not on sale even on AE site. Total $120
uhoh.gif

HealthActuary

Reaction score
Do you guys know if there's a chance the Poplar belts which are on sale for like $79 right now will also be on sale during the RDA sale?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone jump from AE to Carmina or Alden? any thoughts? have the strands right now and looking to step up

I have Alden's and tried to own Carmina but no luck on the fitting yet.

For Alden's they produce a fraction of what AE does. Some of their materials and craftsmanship are better.

That being said...I hate Alden's wing pattern so I don't own them. ALDEN also offers a very small selection for an elegant dress shoe.

What Alden does really well is offer boots with a nice rounded toe that fit my casual wardrobe great and they have a wider selection of interesting leathers for those boots.

AE'S boots in general are more elegant and come to more of a pointy toe.

Alden's shell is a drug for some...super shiny shell does not float my boat and I don't need 30 shades of brown that most fight over at 700 plus bucks. It is beautiful though I can't deny that.

ircfas133

Reaction score
Hi, Gentlemen:

Could you please tell me other flagship shoes than Park Ave. in AE? I really like their windtips, but don't know which one is considered their most traditional lines in that category and loafers.

Also are Carmina and Alden considered even higher quality than AE? If so, what is the best time to buy? Purchasing at full price really hurts. Thanks!

Last edited:

jazzsol

Reaction score

Hi, Gentlemen:

Could you please tell me other flagship shoes than Park Ave. in AE?  I really like their windtips, but don't know which one is considered their most traditional lines in that category and loafers.  

Also are Carmina and Alden considered even higher quality than AE?  If so, what is the best time to buy?  Purchasing at full price really hurts.  Thanks!

You can view all AE styles on their web site, then decide the style and that will suit your particular needs. It is not really up to others to decide what will suit your situational needs.

delmar

Reaction score
anyone jump from AE to Carmina or Alden? any thoughts? have the strands right now and looking to step up

I have 20+ pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes and 3 pairs of Alden. I prefer Allen Edmonds. I have a pair of brown Alden shell chukkas that I bought before AE came out with the Dundee. I wish I had a pair of Dundees instead--I think that Barrie last Aldens have sort of a rounded oversized baby shoe look to them but like Kahuna was saying they do use nice looking leather. My other 2 pairs of Aldens are All Weather Walkers, one of them is a pebbled PTB and the other is Norweigan toe. The PTB is a great looking and comfortable shoe that edges out AE's Leeds in my opinion. At one time I had a pair of Alden shell monk straps which I have since given to Goodwill after I got a pair of AE's Norwich which are the finest shoes ever made by a man in my book.

Here is something that Alden does that AE should do and has done in the past. I would buy a pair in a heartbeat from AE if they would make them. I would buy them from Aldens if they came in my size:

avsmusic1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, Gentlemen:

Could you please tell me other flagship shoes than Park Ave. in AE?  I really like their windtips, but don't know which one is considered their most traditional lines in that category and loafers.  

Also are Carmina and Alden considered even higher quality than AE?  If so, what is the best time to buy?  Purchasing at full price really hurts.  Thanks

Can't really comment on Carmina but I think most would agree Alden is a step up. I have a couple pairs and really enjoy them. That said, I don't know that I love them more than my AE's. I would argue that you hit a point where the marginal return drops off sharply above AE. Additionally, you almost always need to purchase Alden at full retail b/c they don't do sales and have only one distributor for 2nd quality items (shoemart).  They only get a handful of 2nds every couple of months and you're fighting with hundreds of people who receive the announcement emails.... good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads