• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequin782

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why the Fort Collins doesnt get more love here?...that Bourbon model looks like one beautiful alternative to the Kenilworth

Last edited:

Maxy

Reaction score
That is great news. I was just perusing the Shoebank sale and IMO, the Patriots at $127 are the deal of the century! (Daltons are a close second). The Patriots are fabulous loafers.

Man, statements like this are so tempting. How do you think they are different from 65 lasts? I have 9.5E in 65 lasts, what would be the size in Patriots?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone explain to me why the Fort Collins doesnt get more love here?...that Bourbon model looks like one beautiful alternative to the Kenilworth

I think up until now it was a Nordstrom exclusive. But basically, it's a flatiron without the medallion.

I think some folks don't prefer the chiseled look of the 333 last. I personally couldn't fit the flatiron because I'm kind of in-between sizes on that last, and the 3 eyelet pattern was doing much to improve the fit for me (as opposed to the neumoras, on which I was able to use the monkstraps to tailor the fit to my foot.

Last edited:

DGY1atTMW

Reaction score
Jon, glad to hear that you had some good customer service. Yes, be careful, Shell Cordovan can be very addictive.

-Mike

Shell can be addictive?...

K, this post is really for all the Noobs - sorta like me - who don't know any better.

Understand this plz: GET SHELL

I bought 4 pair of calf AEs - Dalton, Mora, PA's and Strandmoks - in 7 months before I decided to get the burgundy shell Westchesters at the insane price of $297..opened the box, thought "what's the big deal?"....

...wore them twice, they started to patina...shined them ONLY by wet-brushing, which made them sparkle AND brought out more natural patina....and now, God help me, I love these shoes....

MTO burgundy/Oxblood Shell Franciscans with Indy lining and Danite sole, anyone? Prolly don't even care what they'd cost....

I'm going broke obv
smile.gif

PS: BIG thanks to @Neo1 for sizing advice...I wear 8.5E on the 65, but after warning the Westchesters would be "long, huge heel, and vise-like toebox" I went with the 8EEE - and still the toebox is BARELY wide enough, although it took my cobbler inserting TWO heel pads covered by a strip of leather at the heel to make them fit even relatively properly...and still, there was never any way I was returning these...

I'll still buy calfskin if the model is attractive and the price is right...but if you don't have ANY Shell, then GET SOME

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone may have already mentioned this and I just missed it, but there is a Jefferson 2.0 listed on the shoebank . . .

In 9D, at least, there is a black and a merlot version.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you guys be any less descript on the Grayson?
1f603.png
I took the same size as the 65 too, but drastically different fit. Length I would say is comparable, the toe box is quite tapered, I would say even more than the 108. Biggest problem I have is that the heel fit is so unbalanced from the front. If you are familiar with either the 234 or 678, you'll know that the heel fit is quite large. The Grayson heel fit is just like those. And herein lies the problem - some people might not be able to handle the toe box, but increasing the width means increasing the heel too. Would not recommend them for people on the wider side - you'll wind needing heel pads etc. And just to be complete, the Grayson toebox is definitely more"relaxed" than the older styles like the Jermyn & Westchester.
Been accused of being overly detailed, but give me a break, as an engineer it's my job to make stuff overly complicated, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun.

Last edited:

Al Dente

Reaction score
PSA: Nordstrom has a few AE styles on sale including the Neumok. Also, The Shoebank store is so overwhelmed they can't even get to the phone! I'm expecting the website to only show the Voyager left.

youngstyle123

Reaction score
@neo1

Thanks for the detail, definitely what I was looking for. I think at the end of the day then I have to order the same size and hope they fit. The problem is that I'm young and don't really have any benchmarks to compare fit. So there's no way to really tell if an 8C would be better then D, etc

Example) I get the 8C and they're a bit tight but the heel doesn't slip, which is good. I wouldn't know if the 8D would be more comfortable without heel slippage, or if there would be slip, etc. not to mention going 8.5C or some other combination until finding the perfect balance between comfort and heel slip.

Fit is much more critical with the loafs vs my Park Aves I assume

I have terrible OCD lol

Last edited:

Brown Dynamite

Reaction score
Definitely wasn't planning on buying shoes this sale - picked up the tan saddle Gobis.

Definitely wasn't planning on buying anything else - picked up the Walnut Strand Slim Briefcase.

I appreciate everything about Allen Edmonds and this thread...

Except for both of their abilities to govern my impulse buys.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Take your time...there is a world of leathers to choose from and shell is not always the answer. Depending on wardrobe style, work enviroment etc..it is not always the main choice. I have a bunch shell shoes and boots and I really do not reach for them more than other leather shoes and boots.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely wasn't planning on buying shoes this sale - picked up the tan saddle Gobis.

Definitely wasn't planning on buying anything else - picked up the Walnut Strand Slim Briefcase.

I appreciate everything about Allen Edmonds and this thread...

Except for both of their abilities to govern my impulse buys.

How much were the brief cases ? I can't buy one but just for my piece of mind...maybe next one? I didn't see it on the shoebank site were they store only ?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding colors of the Maritime, I don't know their Pantone colors or anything, but sports colors can be useful.

I can only speak of the two sent to me and the ones I saw in the store but the navy is VERY dark. Almost black indoors. More of a NY Yankees cap navy than a Tigers cap navy.

Regarding the red, it is not a Texas Tech or Nebraska red but rather a slightly darker Arkansas or Alabama home jersey.

I ordered both fully expecting to keep the navy and return the red due to the former being more versatile. Given the navy is so dark and the red looks so nice, I think I'm about to reverse my decision.

I think most would agree the overall most versatile color would be the golden brown but my old beater Gold Cups are that color and I can't bear the thought of either (i) tossing them or (ii) having two pair of boat shoes the same color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads