• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're such a different shoe. The Jeffersons are a short-wing balmoral, which is perfectly fine if you wear a lot of suits or wear creased-front dress pants. In comparison, the McGregor can be easily worn with jeans and chinos, and some find them okay with suits depending on the fabric. Furthermore, anyone with chinos or jeans can wear a LWB such as the McGregor, whereas I wouldn't buy the Jefferson until after I owned several other more formal shoes such as the Park Avenue or Carlyle (and assuming I wore such formal shoes often enough to warrant the Jefferson).

If you can't tell, I've caught the bug for bluchers, especially LWBs! I'm ready to trade out all of my balmorals, including my Strands, to replace them with more modest, traditional balmorals on one side, and bluchers on the other (i.e. for my wingtips and other brogues)..
I think the Jeffersons can be worn with jeans, though probably with a blazer. The double sole with a contrasting edging color tones down the formality enough that they are incredibly versatile.

That being said, I have a nearly new pair of Shell Cordovan MacNeil LWBs for sale in my signature that I'll make you a great deal on!
spam[1].gif

AMProf

Reaction score
I realize this has probably been addressed ad nauseam, but could someone comment on the fit of the Dalton compared to shoes on the 5 last? For years I thought I was a 9.5D in the Strand, but always felt they were a little snug. This year I bought a pair of McAllisters at the AE store in Philadelphia, and the SA informed me that I should be wearing an 8.5EEE. Couldn't be happier....the fit is so much more comfortable. But when I tried on Daltons in 8.5EEE they felt too large. The SA suggested this might be because I wasn't used to the fit of a dress boot.

So my question: is this the nature of boots, that they're going to feel a bit bigger than would a typical dress shoe? Stick with the 8.5EEE on the Dalton or move back to the 9.5D?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize this has probably been addressed ad nauseam, but could someone comment on the fit of the Dalton compared to shoes on the 5 last? For years I thought I was a 9.5D in the Strand, but always felt they were a little snug. This year I bought a pair of McAllisters at the AE store in Philadelphia, and the SA informed me that I should be wearing an 8.5EEE. Couldn't be happier....the fit is so much more comfortable. But when I tried on Daltons in 8.5EEE they felt too large. The SA suggested this might be because I wasn't used to the fit of a dress boot.

So my question: is this the nature of boots, that they're going to feel a bit bigger than would a typical dress shoe? Stick with the 8.5EEE on the Dalton or move back to the 9.5D?

Where does it fit bigger? Heel, footbed left to right - length? One thing with boots as opposed to shoes especially AE boots is that the eyestays protrude outward on shipment so getting them to pull tight on the first few wears is very hard to do. I wear a 13E in the Dalton typically a 13D the footbed is too narrow. I wear a 12eee on 65 lasted balmorals and 12E on 65 lasted bluchers.

I recently picked up a pair of 12eee Daltons and they fit great. Though I measure a 13 on the brannock my guess is my foot is a tad short of that.

Overall I would say most of my dress boots fit a touch looser than shoes also on a shoe your eye lacing area runs nearly parallel to your foot arch while on a boot it starts upward.

Pretty sure I didn't help at all...

ScooberJake

Reaction score
Just for planning purposes, can those who have followed AE sales comment on how the current tent sale compares to other typical sales throughout the year, like RDA? It seems there a lot of screaming deals right now, but some prices are just so-so. Is this typical for AE sales? Would you expect RDA to be similar, but maybe with different models heavily discounted?

rostov

Reaction score
Just for planning purposes, can those who have followed AE sales comment on how the current tent sale compares to other typical sales throughout the year, like RDA? It seems there a lot of screaming deals right now, but some prices are just so-so. Is this typical for AE sales? Would you expect RDA to be similar, but maybe with different models heavily discounted?

Everything will be a minimum of 15% off during the RDA sale. It's the best time to buy firsts of most shoes, with the notable exceptions of casual loafers and the McAllister with see better sales during the Father's Day Sale and the Anniversary Sale. If you're looking at the Kirkwood or Maritime, for instance, don't wait -- you won't get a better price than you will today.

The tent sale is one of the best sales for seconds. It seems we're getting more frequent sales on shell now, but $399 is not bad at all. Daltons for $209 is rare and never goes lower, while $199 for Jeffersons is out of this world. Many of the styles are currently lower than they've been in a long time, or ever, but sometimes only by $10-20... so unless it's an amazing deal, don't feel pressured to buy something on a whim that you might not actually want or need.

EDIT: In late August/September, around Christmas, and again in March you'll also see a lot of seasonal styles go into clearance. This is the best time to buy shoes like the Shreveport, or the Kirkwood if you miss the Father's day sale. A number of boots are seasonal as well, such as the Gobi and Mojave. Finally, most new introductions are effectively experiments and most experiments fail, lending these styles to fall into clearance at some point; This rule can also apply to new colors of established patterns or old colors if a competing color is introduced (i.e. old chili versus Bob's chili).

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure who asked - I tried all the neumoks before I decided on the red. The brown was my second favorite - it's definitely not "brown" - it has this speckled texture that is sort of unique. I don't want to call them a novelty style but I don't know how to describe them - they would work well with denim but they're not a wear to work style, like the acorn. One additional note - they were the only neumok to use this softer mire flexible material, so they felt a little looser, but nothing drastic. I think they were really nice overall.

jch1

Reaction score
I need opinions on Kirkwoods vs Maritimes. The laces on the Maritimes look to be rather long, so maybe I'd snip them a bit, but I don't know which to go with in navy (and possibly golden brown). Even if I were to get one of each, which is preferred?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need opinions on Kirkwoods vs Maritimes. The laces on the Maritimes look to be rather long, so maybe I'd snip them a bit, but I don't know which to go with in navy (and possibly golden brown). Even if I were to get one of each, which is preferred?

I have both waiting for me in boxes at home right now. I am currently on vacation and will not be back home until Friday, unfortunately. That said, I have had difficulty deciding between the two as well, and I'm afraid I may end up keeping both.

It's somewhat depends on your own preference for the aesthetics of each. The only thing I don't like about the Kirkwood is the lacing around the top (seems pointless as there are no actual laces on a loafer). This is why I originally decided I was going to go with the Ralph Lauren beef roll boat sole penny loafers that I posted earlier, but after seeing pictures of the CXL leather for the Kirkwoods and Maritimes, I am thinking I may just stick with the pair of Kirkwoods and deal with those laces.

My suggestion may be to order one of each, and then return the one you don't like. The only problem there is that you may love and end up spending more than you planned to keep both. Either way, the price right now is amazing and hard to pass up.

rostov

Reaction score
I have both waiting for me in boxes at home right now. I am currently on vacation and will not be back home until Friday, unfortunately. That said, I have had difficulty deciding between the two as well, and I'm afraid I may end up keeping both.

It's somewhat depends on your own preference for the aesthetics of each. The only thing I don't like about the Kirkwood is the lacing around the top (seems pointless as there are no actual laces on a loafer). This is why I originally decided I was going to go with the Ralph Lauren beef roll boat sole penny loafers that I posted earlier, but after seeing pictures of the CXL leather for the Kirkwoods and Maritimes, I am thinking I may just stick with the pair of Kirkwoods and deal with those laces.

What really bothers me about the Maritime and the Kirkwood both is the blue and orange tab on the back. It's not so bad with the blue CXL, but it's distracting on the other colors.

garland

Reaction score
What really bothers me about the Maritime and the Kirkwood both is the blue and orange tab on the back. It's not so bad with the blue CXL, but it's distracting on the other colors.

scissors.

biggrin.gif

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to have to stop by my local store to check them out.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not have a clue about how good the sale is or is not...but if there is a sale and I want an item and they have it...I get it. At $270 I was able to order 3 pairs of 12eee Daltons Oxeblood at once and have them shipped to me..selected the nicest two boots...I paid to ship back the other two pairs the next day..so total I was out $280 for a great seconds pair....this sale they are cheaper but not one available in the oxeblood and in two months I will have no idea what I paid for them at all...lol

If it is on sale....buy it and be happy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads