• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DGY - noticed there was a shell Grayson available - you should check that out. Others might disagree, but I found the Grayson to be roomier in the toe box - really slightly, but enough that I had no issues. I'm thinking that, plus the shell being looser than the calf might make them work for you. Little more expensive than the Westchester but I think they're worth it.

saw your other post about the strand. Call Ben around 10 - he is there Fri in the morning and should be able to tell you what the story is with the returns, no bs.

rostov

Reaction score
Any word on if certain calf is included as well? I know shell seems to rule this thread, but a black shoe is on my radar next so I don't think I want to shell out for...shell.

Yes. I don't know which models, but calf is certainly included as well.

For myself, I've already reserved a pair of shell Kenwoods..

Last edited:

rostov

Reaction score
Walnut shell Daltons on the shoebank in 13B... $539

It's possible these are natural shell from the trunk show, but given the old styles and cordovan we've been seeing pop up recently, it could just as well be legitimate old-stock as well. Either way, it will be a great color...

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's possible these are natural shell from the trunk show, but given the old styles and cordovan we've been seeing pop up recently, it could just as well be legitimate old-stock as well. Either way, it will be a great color...

What a size, though. Brutal.

h0ho10

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need your opinion on my Fifth Aves. I sent them in for a recraft and when they came back, the right shoe where the laces are (perhaps called the tongue?) seems to be slightly off centered. It feels like it's slanted to the left a little and the sides are out of proportion. If it helps, these were firsts.

Is it just me or do you guys see the same?

Thanks for your help in advance!

lemmy127

Reaction score

What a size, though. Brutal.

Quiet you. That's a perfect size... I ordered them and (obviously) returned yesterday. Unless natural shell is darker than I think, it is walnut... One of the reasons why I returned them is because the color was nearly the exact same as some cognac shell wingtip boots I have from Carmina.

The other reason is because the right boot has a crooked tongue and fully functioning brogueing here:

It's unlined and a line of stitching missed connecting the two pieces of shell for a few inches there, so you can fold back the piece on the inside and literally see through the boot through the brogueing (I hope that makes sense).

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quiet you. That's a perfect size... I ordered them and (obviously) returned yesterday. Unless natural shell is darker than I think, it is walnut... One of the reasons why I returned them is because the color was nearly the exact same as some cognac shell wingtip boots I have from Carmina.

The other reason is because the right boot has a crooked tongue and fully functioning brogueing here:

It's unlined and a line of stitching missed connecting the two pieces of shell for a few inches there, so you can fold back the piece on the inside and literally see through the boot through the brogueing (I hope that makes sense).

Yes, although to be perfectly honest with you - tongues on shell Daltons are very rarely straight, and the inside broguing is often totally unlined (and if you fold back the inside piece you can see through it). I actually think that's a good thing. To each his own. I'd have kept them if I were you. You probably won't see Walnut shell again for a very long time.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Well, I'm not a fan of having redundancies in my shoe collection, so I wasn't going to keep two boots that are basically the exact same save for a few minor details (medallion pattern, proportions of wingtip, brogueing on the heel and shaft, and sole type). If I had kept them, I would have sold the Carminas... and I don't have a lot of faith that I would have recouped the cost of the Daltons for them because of the unpopular size (11.5UK). Also, the crooked tongue made the fit of the boot feel weird.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a fan of having redundancies in my shoe collection, so I wasn't going to keep two boots that are basically the exact same save for a few minor details (medallion pattern, proportions of wingtip, brogueing on the heel and shaft, and sole type). If I had kept them, I would have sold the Carminas... and I don't have a lot of faith that I would have recouped the cost of the Daltons for them because of the unpopular size (11.5UK). Also, the crooked tongue made the fit of the boot feel weird.

Ah, didn't realize the Carminas were boots. Misread your post.

Totally understandable, in that case.

My congac shell Carmina wingtips and my walnut shell Daltons are very different shades.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Hi guys, Need your opinion on my Fifth Aves. I sent them in for a recraft and when they came back, the right shoe where the laces are (perhaps called the tongue?) seems to be slightly off centered. It feels like it's slanted to the left a little and the sides are out of proportion. If it helps, these were firsts. Is it just me or do you guys see the same? Thanks for your help in advance!
No, not seeing it. Looks fine to me.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not seeing it either. Enjoy them and don't worry too much.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@h0ho10 in not seeing anything wrong with those shoes other than a slanted toe cap.

garland

Reaction score

rostov

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Need your opinion on my Fifth Aves. I sent them in for a recraft and when they came back, the right shoe where the laces are (perhaps called the tongue?) seems to be slightly off centered. It feels like it's slanted to the left a little and the sides are out of proportion. If it helps, these were firsts.

Is it just me or do you guys see the same?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I agree about the slanted cap. Also looking at the top of the vamp, it does seem to veer to the left a bit. It's hard to judge from the photos, but it's not impossible they relasted it incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads