• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I need some help please....

So I'm up to 4 pairs of AE's in 7 months (yeah, I'll prolly need help with that soon too :) ) when I discover that my local cobbler - right across the street - stocks Saphir products. In a small Atlantic Canada city of like 100,000 this is nothing short of amazing...

But for the life of me I can't figure out what the real difference is between RenoMat and Renovateur - I mean, descriptions I've read on the 'Net say they do basically the same thing.

So help me please - what's the difference (in usage purposes)? Do I need both? etc etc...

Also, I own a pair of the brown distressed Strandmoks - I know there's no love for them on this site lol, but I get more compliments on them than my Daltons even. Should I be using a soap to clean these?

BTW: Bourbon Daltons, Grey Cloud PAs, Chili Mora 2.0, and the Strandmoks....I'm getting an education in this last vs sizing thing really quickly..

Your collective wisdom is greatly appreciated
pics

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

After all these posts, broke down and went to BCF. Never been there before - disgusting place. Was like shopping at a Goodwill. Anyway, they had chili Maxfields, sizes 6 & 6.5d, 139.99, and one lone Quinton brown suede 7d, 139.99. Typical 108 last fit, I left them behind. All appeared to be firsts. Shocked to see AE at a place like that, it made Bealls outlet and even Belk look goo

Which Burlington did you go to? Interesting you say that about the store, their business is one of the best out of any retailer.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
After all these posts, broke down and went to BCF. Never been there before - disgusting place. Was like shopping at a Goodwill. Anyway, they had chili Maxfields, sizes 6 & 6.5d, 139.99, and one lone Quinton brown suede 7d, 139.99. Typical 108 last fit, I left them behind. All appeared to be firsts. Shocked to see AE at a place like that, it made Bealls outlet and even Belk look goo

Which Burlington did you go to? Interesting you say that about the store, their business is one of the best out of any retailer.

'Perspective' is really something. The one I visit is immaculately maintained, has a full selection of business wear, luggage, accessories... Looks no different than when walking into Macy's. But I'm sure visiting two same-chain stores managed by two different folks in two drastically different communities would find major differences, both aesthetically and products offered. Did you decontaminate/sterilize yourself once you made it out of there, Neo1?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Perspective' is really something. The one I visit is immaculately maintained, has a full selection of business wear, luggage, accessories... Looks no different than when walking into Macy's. But I'm sure visiting two same-chain stores managed by two different folks in two drastically different communities would find major differences, both aesthetically and products offered. Did you decontaminate/sterilize yourself once you made it out of there, Neo1?

I went to the Burlington Coat Factory the other day in the Loop in Chicago, to check out the AE selection. It was down an escalator, and it felt like descending into the seventh layer of retail hell. Bad fluorescent lighting, horrible white linoleum floors, poorly organized racks of clothing, shoes on terrible black wire racks, topped off with a general sense of discomfort and unease. I didn't find any interesting AEs, by the way - a few pairs, but nothing terribly noteworthy.

By the way, I am growing increasingly disappointed with Macy's, in general. Their stores feel dated and don't offer a good customer experience anymore. Sales associates generally aren't very knowledgeable, dressing rooms don't have associates to help with sizing, and the racks are disorganized. A few "areas" in each department are still decent (the MK and Hugo Boss area of the men's department, for example), but overall, it's quite poor.

Macy's feels more and more like TJ Maxx or Marshalls these days and less and less like a quality department store. They need to look to their sister, Bloomingdale's, and bring that Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's feel to the middle-market consumer. There's no reason that a midlevel department store should feel like an offprice or discount retailer.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Macy's feels more and more like TJ Maxx or Marshalls these days and less and less like a quality department store. They need to look to their sister, Bloomingdale's, and bring that Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's feel to the middle-market consumer. There's no reason that a midlevel department store should feel like an offprice or discount retailer.

I have a feeling that they are moving more to online. Back when I was ultra poor I would find gold on the clearance racks at macys which led me to buy other stuff there. Now I barely set foot in the place. Its seems around the time of my wedding registry (2010) to 2012 things started changing and not for the better.

Maybe I will check out the shoes someday...

Last edited:

redmusic1

Reaction score
Whoever has thought there is no place for a walnut bal cap must not live in the South. I can't think of a better shoe to pair with a linen suit on such a beautiful Lord's day.

redmusic1

Reaction score
I guess I might try the BCF down the road from me. I've never been because it is in one of the roughest areas of the city. I would be amazed if it were any better than the worst of department stores when it comes to service,content, and cleanliness. I will be incredibly surprised if there is the first AE offering. I bet I'm one of only a handful of people who would even consider paying more than $125 for a pair of dress shoes here. I would imagine BCF would make an effort to send whatever nicer shoes they get elsewhere.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting article. I suspect the large wholesale customer that pushed AE to become more European was Nordstrom. Besides AE, nearly all their shoe offerings are very European in style and design. That said, Nordstrom is their biggest wholesale customer by far, from what I understand.

I know AE is planning on bringing out more classic and vintage styles, and is reviving the Independence collection with their classic styles (I think they're keeping the Jefferson, but otherwise killing off the rest of the old Independence line and bringing out Independence versions of the Park Avenue, Strand, and maybe the Fifth Ave or some loafers, can't recall exactly). I think the new stuff they're coming out with this fall will be very successful, too.

The whole Road Warrior collection is interesting. I thought I'd hate them, but after seeing them in person, some of them look pretty good. Sure, they're clearly targeting the businessmen who like "comfortable" shoes like they get from Ecco, Rockport, Mephisto, etc., but with better styling.

I'm glad their focus on more American aesthetics is working well for them.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
I guess I might try the BCF down the road from me. I've never been because it is in one of the roughest areas of the city. I would be amazed if it were any better than the worst of department stores when it comes to service,content, and cleanliness. I will be incredibly surprised if there is the first AE offering. I bet I'm one of only a handful of people who would even consider paying more than $125 for a pair of dress shoes here. I would imagine BCF would make an effort to send whatever nicer shoes they get elsewhere.

Selection at BCF elevates significantly as you get to their top tier stores, the issue that like most retailers their top tier stores are likely in major metropolitan areas or locations with higher income.

If you don't see AE's your local store, try to stop by a better location on your next trip to a major city. For <$150 you're getting one hell of a deal on AE's.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know AE is planning on bringing out more classic and vintage styles, and is reviving the Independence collection with their classic styles (I think they're keeping the Jefferson, but otherwise killing off the rest of the old Independence line and bringing out Independence versions of the Park Avenue, Strand, and maybe the Fifth Ave or some loafers, can't recall exactly)

This sounds like a reasonable decision; I hope they bring the Rutledge (or something like it) to the main line at some point.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The one on Amherst St in Nashua NH had nothing at all - all complete garbage. The new store on S. Willow St. in Manchester NH was the one that had the Quinton and Maxfield.
I neglected to post, but do you remember the decontamination that Dustin Hoffman went though after he dealt with the Motaba virus in Outbreak, while dressed in the spacesuit? I did the same.

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Selection at BCF elevates significantly as you get to their top tier stores, the issue that like most retailers their top tier stores are likely in major metropolitan areas or locations with higher income.

If you don't see AE's your local store, try to stop by a better location on your next trip to a major city. For <$150 you're getting one hell of a deal on AE's.
Drove 1 hour one way after a clerk telling me over the phone that they carried Allen Edmonds. When I got there, they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just picked these Shell "Hinsdale" up for $100 + shipping. Did I get a good deal?
Interesting. I thought the Hinsdale was a SWB on the 108 last (I hope they bring this back in snuff suede or walnut calf). Of course this wouldn't be the first time AE recycles a name and uses it in a completely different shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads