• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmusic1

Reaction score
Need some help with purchasing decision please. I am looking at one sale first and one second (under $200).

I already have
1. Black FA
2. Walnut PA
3. Chili PA
4. BB Walnut Strand

#1 and 2 are typically warn with suits a couple times a month. They aren't really in my daily rotation. But...
I also have various other shoes in the rotation: primarily a pair of tan wingtips, black quarter brogues, and burgundy loafers.

I'm considering as firsts either
1. Chili University
2. Chili Carlyle
3. Merlot McCallister
4. Walnut Shreveport (I live in Mississippi where it is hot and humid.)

I'm considering as seconds either
1. Walnut Kenilworth
2. Walnut BB Presidio (or brown)
3. Chili Woodstock
4. Walnut BB FA
5. Tan Lake Shore

I am leaning toward the #1 on each list. Any thoughts are welcome, and feel free to suggest something else.
I am not really a fan of the bourbon color shoes I've seen, and I prefer the character of chili over dark brown.
I wear odd jacket/trouser most days. I am also wanting at least one dainite sole.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^
I think you could use a second dark Oxford for your suits. You also lack a burg laceup. Therefore #3 on the first list.

For the second, if the Presisio is a loafer, then get brown.

For a second NOT on your list, consider the Clark Street in brown with the Diante sole. Or order the Merlot Mac (#3) in Diante during the sale. And resist getting another walnut/tan for a while.

tyort1

Reaction score
redmusic1,
Its spring, I'd say go for the weave (Shreveport), or something suede. I think you have the other bases covered pretty well. If you are absolutely set on getting another brogued shoe, the chili Universities are beautiful in person, and work well with a more casual pant.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are going way back with these. Ellsworths I bought in the mid 1990's. From the long gone Corporate Casual collection. They have been recrafted once and still look great.

Chris

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know which chukka style the BB version is (Amok, Gobi, something else)? Trying to figure out the last and how it might fit. Not sure if I'm loving the football brown leather for it, but I'm considering it. I've been on the fence for a while on going with the tan saddle version of the Gobi, but I keep seeing pictures of the snuff suede version and it's getting hard to resist. Leather is more practical, given the Chicago weather I have to deal with, but that snuff suede looks way better in real life than it does in the AE photos.

http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=0300S&DIM=D&SIZE=115

garland

Reaction score
Anyone know which chukka style the BB version is (Amok, Gobi, something else)? Trying to figure out the last and how it might fit. Not sure if I'm loving the football brown leather for it, but I'm considering it. I've been on the fence for a while on going with the tan saddle version of the Gobi, but I keep seeing pictures of the snuff suede version and it's getting hard to resist. Leather is more practical, given the Chicago weather I have to deal with, but that snuff suede looks way better in real life than it does in the AE photos.

It's built on the 234 last. It's unique to itself for the most part. The Cascade boot was made on that last, but to my knowledge there aren't many boots built on that one.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally would not blind buy anything on the 234. On the 97, the heel is large and the toe box is small, but on the 234, the toe box is also large like the heel. Makes for a very odd fit unless you're on the wider side. Kyle can elaborate I'm sure
1f60a.png

Brown Dynamite

Reaction score

It's built on the 234 last. It's unique to itself for the most part. The Cascade boot was made on that last, but to my knowledge there aren't many boots built on that one.

The Amoks amoks also on the 234 and I went with the same size as my 5-last. The 234 is on the narrow side, but I don't think it's much narrower than the 5...at least in my experience.

jubu

Reaction score

The Amoks amoks also on the 234 and I went with the same size as my 5-last. The 234 is on the narrow side, but I don't think it's much narrower than the 5...at least in my experience.

A page or so back, I actually had the same exact question. Interesting how some folks say that the last is narrow, since I just got in touch with Allison and she mention how its a very full last, and one of the largest they have. With her info, I was just about to pull the trigger on a half size down (as my brannock size is technically in between sizes), but now im wondering if I should go bigger....

Last edited:

rjonea

Reaction score
I have seen some Allen Edmonds and Florshiem shoes with this little "tag" on the inside of the shoe (the blue inset name) and I have seen others without it. What is the difference, if any, between shoes with it and without?

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Jeffersons. Wearing them with my navy cords only because I have to go straight to a wedding after work and I didn't want to carry an extra pair of shoes along with my suit on the subway. :p

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black Jeffersons. Wearing them with my navy cords only because I have to go straight to a wedding after work and I didn't want to carry an extra pair of shoes along with my suit on the subway. :p

I love those! I almost never have occasion to wear black shoes, and if I do, its usually with a tux, but it has been hard not buying those.

I actually have the Walnut, Dark Brown, and even a Burgundy Shell version of the Jefferson. I should really make it a clean sweep one of these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads