• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks kind of awkward, but that's just me. FWIW I have a pair and think they look odd with shorts. I'm going to sell them because that's what I bought them for. They may work, but on me they just seemed out of place. I also got mine first quality for $100 due to a pricing glitch (thanks Amazon)

They actually fit you? I can't imagine wearing anything on the 234....they look good though, wanted a pair myself. Now you're making me regret missing out on the Lake Shore Drives again.

shoosensuits

Reaction score

Carlyle - comes in oxblood (cherry based color), and is dead sexy in person.  The online pics really do not capture how great this shoe is.

I thought so too when I was trying them on but for the life of me I can't warm up to this shoe. Very plain.

NewYawker

Reaction score

How do you guys feel about the Addison?  Casual with shorts?

I like them. Perfect wet weather shoe and is fine for business casual. I picked mine up from an Amazon sale for $100 so for me it was a no brainer. You could wear them with shorts.

Al Dente

Reaction score

I find myself wearing mostly navy or a medium gray suits or pants for most business meetings.  I currently have black PA's, bourbon Daltons and Walnut strands.  I really want to add something in the burgundy family but need some suggestions.  I tried a pair of merlot mcallisters but found the color to be a bit too purple.  They also had a manufacturing defect so they were returned.  I've been searching the for sale boards for cordovan but haven't come up with anything in 10.5D.    

Any suggestions on style and, more importantly, color?  

The obvious choice would be Oxblood, which looks great with grey and navy, which is primarily what I wear. Maybe a dark chili. I think the burnished colors look darker and more interesting with brogueing to capture the black polish. Oxblood is more cherry than purple.

LanceM

Reaction score

I like them. Perfect wet weather shoe and is fine for business casual. I picked mine up from an Amazon sale for $100 so for me it was a no brainer. You could wear them with shorts.

Wow. Great deal! How long ago was that deal? How's the sizing compared to the 5 last?

NewYawker

Reaction score

Wow. Great deal! How long ago was that deal? How's the sizing compared to the 5 last?

I think the sale was about 6 months ago. Not sure if the shoes were seconds but there is no stamp so I believe they are firsts. I'm pretty sure the shoes have a poron insole so the fit is a little more snug than 5 lasted shoes. They are also maybe slightly shorter than 5 lasted shoes. I went true to size with the Addison as I do with all my AE shoes. Of course ymmv. I can post a side by side to the park avenue later tonight.

bbouchard87

Reaction score
I see the anniversary sale includes the Lexington. The shoe looks awesome, but the description says it is a more casual look. They don't seem casual to me, so I was looking for you guys to weigh in. Can you still rock these with a suit? Also, I already have the McAlister as my resident wingtip, but thoughts on the University? Thanks!

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see the anniversary sale includes the Lexington. The shoe looks awesome, but the description says it is a more casual look. They don't seem casual to me, so I was looking for you guys to weigh in. Can you still rock these with a suit? Also, I already have the McAlister as my resident wingtip, but thoughts on the University? Thanks!
Not too casual in my opinion. you can definitely wear them with a suit if you're getting them in the right color (black, brown, chili, bourbon). It's a blucher, but I don't play by the "balmorals only with a suit" rule. I like the University, but it would be like a 5th or 6th shoe for me.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score

Ok guys, looking for some input. I have had these William Williams (independence line) for a few years. This is my second pair, they replaced my first because of very odd rippling and cracking on the vamp. These have probably been worn 2 dozen times at most. They are developing some deep looking cracks in the vamp. I have used VSC and Saphir renovateur on them, and have not been able to prevent the deep looking cracks. The leather is soft and supple. I've nitvhar this on any of my other AE shoes... Is this happening due to the softer leather of the independence line??? I'm guessing yes... My Jeffersons have not had his issue, but maybe it's just due to the make up of his shoe. Thoughts?

LEgoiste

Reaction score

For a semi-formal blucher I would go with the Clifton over the Lexington.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My collection of Daltons is growing. Here are the lighter shades:

Interior shot - from left - Walnut shell, Walnut shell, Natural Shell, Walnut Calfskin

Exterior shot - from left - Walnut calfskin, Natural shell, Walnut shell, Walnut shell

The darker Walnut shell pair is approaching Truffle (or more like Alden Ravello), which is awesome.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoah. Why so many Daltons? Do you have the darker colors too?

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For a semi-formal blucher I would go with the Clifton over the Lexington.

Why? Because of the last? The punched cap makes it ever so slightly less formal than the Lexington's stitched cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads