• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Putting these through the paces...so far so good

Great shot of the Odenwalds. I like my black Odenwalds - now you are making me consider getting a pair in brown.

Chris

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the Rogue, 9D fit me very well. I am a 9.5D in the 5 last and about 95% of my other AE's. The 9.5D Rogue fit OK, but there was a lot of volume in the toe box and it looked like there would be some weird creasing. The 9D Rogue fit me like a glove.

I could not try on the Warwick - they sold the 9D and 9.5D before I could get over there! But they have some more coming.

Chris

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to fill a couple of gaps in my Allen Edmonds collection. (6 pairs since last October and a 7th on the way - thanks for enabling me you filthy barnweasels!)

I think the biggest gap I have is that I'm missing a chukka/desert boot. I'm not ready to head down the rabbit-hole and into world of cordovan with Dundees, and I think the Bellevue is pretty ugly. So, if I stick with AE, my only choice is really the Gobi. Which is fine, because I really like the simple look of it.

So, I'm trying to figure out which version to go with. The blue and snuff suede versions are only available as seconds, but the tan leather version is still in production. I prefer the tan leather over the sued for a couple of reasons:
1. I live in Chicago and am worried about salt damage for a good 5 months out of the year. Plus, it kind of strikes me as
2. The suede versions strike me as more "fall-only" kinds of boots, but I'd like to be able to wear them year-round in a business casual environment. If there were a lighter color suede, I'd probably be more open to it.
3. I feel like the leather is more durable than suede

Now, I'll be honest. I haven't owned a pair of suede shoes in almost 25 years. So, my assumptions could very well be way off-base. If I'm selling suede short, I'd be remiss if I went to look for a pair at some point in the near future and found them completely off the Shoebank and vanished into the ether. However, I don't have quite enough banked up to buy the leather Gobis, but that $147 price on the Shoebank is awfully tempting for the suede.

So, the long and the short of it is: Who has the Gobi? Which version do you have? Do you regret not getting the other? Do you love it? Are you just sort of "meh" about it?

I know, I'm way overthinking this, but it's late on a Friday and it's been a long week, so I wanted to let my mind run with it for a bit.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking to fill a couple of gaps in my Allen Edmonds collection. (6 pairs since last October and a 7th on the way - thanks for enabling me you filthy barnweasels!)

I think the biggest gap I have is that I'm missing a chukka/desert boot. I'm not ready to head down the rabbit-hole and into world of cordovan with Dundees, and I think the Bellevue is pretty ugly. So, if I stick with AE, my only choice is really the Gobi. Which is fine, because I really like the simple look of it.

So, I'm trying to figure out which version to go with. The blue and snuff suede versions are only available as seconds, but the tan leather version is still in production. I prefer the tan leather over the sued for a couple of reasons:
1. I live in Chicago and am worried about salt damage for a good 5 months out of the year. Plus, it kind of strikes me as 
2. The suede versions strike me as more "fall-only" kinds of boots, but I'd like to be able to wear them year-round in a business casual environment. If there were a lighter color suede, I'd probably be more open to it. 

Now, I'll be honest. I haven't owned a pair of suede shoes in almost 25 years. So, my assumptions could very well be way off-base. If I'm selling suede short, I'd be remiss if I went to look for a pair at some point in the near future and found them completely off the Shoebank and vanished into the ether. However, I don't have quite enough banked up to buy the leather Gobis, but that $147 price on the Shoebank is awfully tempting for the suede.

So, the long and the short of it is: Who has the Gobi? Which version do you have? Do you regret not getting the other? Do you love it? Are you just sort of "meh" about it? 

I know, I'm way overthinking this, but it's late on a Friday and it's been a long week, so I wanted to let my mind run with it for a bit.

If you can find a decent pair in the shoebank why not try the Bleecker St chukka? They're $179 I think.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find a decent pair in the shoebank why not try the Bleecker St chukka? They're $179 I think.

I'm not sure I'd consider the Bleecker Street a chukka. It feels like more of a dress boot to me, especially with a cap toe. Plus, that's a tough one to get right, especially with every other post about it being about the puckering issue with the leather.

I admit, it's a sharp-looking boot. But, I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for at just this moment.

CMR16

Reaction score

Did you check out AE's Arezzo, Urbino, Firenze & Verona?  I used to buy Brunos and from the look and construction, I bet Bruno makes all of them for AE.... :)

I have checked them out online but my feet are smaller and narrow so I have distrust in buying online rather than in-store. The Firenze has my attention but I want to try in person before buying. One of the reasons why I have worn Cole Haan for so long. They fit my feet perfectly.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd consider the Bleecker Street a chukka. It feels like more of a dress boot to me, especially with a cap toe. Plus, that's a tough one to get right, especially with every other post about it being about the puckering issue with the leather.

I admit, it's a sharp-looking boot. But, I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for at just this moment.

You're right - the Bleecker is more of a hybrid chukka / dress boot. That said, it's still a really sweet boot that likely won't be made again.

If you're dead set on a more "desert boot" style chukka, then the Gobi should fit your needs just fine, whether in suede or in leather.

I think the Dundee is one of the best chukkas out there, even between other manufacturers. There are some dedicated, hardcore Alden guys who still swear by the Dundee. Of course, as you said, it's only available in shell right now.

And just so you know, if you're willing to wait it out, AE is bringing the Dundee back in other leathers besides shell.

tradbrah

Reaction score

What size are you? See my sig for a couple of pairs of suede Gobi's I'm selling.

pudman43

Reaction score

I have the BB chili grain MacNeils and love them.  Not long ago I was psyched to see a walnut grain show up at the Shoebank, as I am mildly OCD and like matched sets.  :)   When they arrived I was ecstatic at first, but they sat on my rack unworn for weeks.  Ultimately, I decided that the walnut and chili colors were too close to each other.  So, back to the Bank the walnuts went.
Well said. I'm always surprised that the MacNeil doesn't get more love here; I have Walnut Grain myself and though I have 10 other pairs of AE, they remain one of my favorites. That said, I do find myself wearing them with denim far more than with dress slacks or khakis. That double sole just goes well with jeans..... J

pudman43

Reaction score

'Filthy barnweasels", my new favorite expression - well done!!! J

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well said. I'm always surprised that the MacNeil doesn't get more love here; I have Walnut Grain myself and though I have 10 other pairs of AE, they remain one of my favorites. That said, I do find myself wearing them with denim far more than with dress slacks or khakis. That double sole just goes well with jeans..... J

c07f024a_image.jpeg

Wore mine earlier this week. Still one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$288 for the Strand in any color is a fantastic deal. You're unlikely to see that sale again anytime soon.

Nordstrom typically only puts one color of the Strand on sale in their July anniversary sale, but it has been Walnut before. Not sure what it'll be this year. Either way I'd go with the current Nordtrom sale.

Personally I'd go with Dark Chili for the Strand. Walnut is great but not quite as versatile. Although with jeans, khakis, and slacks you can usually get away with Walnut.

Two things:

Nordstrom's had the Strand in walnut at its Anniversary Sale in 2013 for sure (I bought mine then) and for $219 or $229. I think (but aren't positive) they featured walnut again in 2014, though at about $20 more. Perhaps higher still this July but still lower than (I bet) $288. There's no guarantee they'll feature walnut this summer but I bet they do. But, why take the chance if you really really want walnut. It wouldn't be worth it to me to wait four months to save perhaps $30-40.

Having said that, I agree with JSO1 that the walnut is NOT the most versatile color for that shoe. I'd even say it isn't versatile at all. (I've retired mine from fall/winter use.) I agree that if you want the Strand, chili would be more versatile. If that's not a significant consideration, go with what you really want.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If pre-treated properly, suede can be a very tough, low-maintenance leather.

Though other makers like Loake are worth looking into at AE's price point. Also BB often has great models on sale...

I have the Dundee and Amok and love them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads