• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there no door buster deals this year for Black Friday? They have had it in years past.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With winter coming right around the corner, I was looking to add another AE rubber-soled shoe to the collection besides my new Longbranches in CXL. I'd been eyeing the Black Hills for a while and was really tempted at the sale price of $199 for brown ones. Looked on the Shoebank this morning and saw they had grey ones on sale for $97. Wow! I'm not totally sold on the color, but grey is versatile enough to wear with a number of things in a very casual work environment, and it's pretty much for winter walking, so I figured I'd take a shot, especially at that price point. Called my local Shoebank in Brookfield, WI and they're shipping them right out. If they feel right, I may just bite the bullet and go with the brown ones as well.

Anyone else wearing Black Hills? How do you like them?

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With winter coming right around the corner, I was looking to add another AE rubber-soled shoe to the collection besides my new Longbranches in CXL. I'd been eyeing the Black Hills for a while and was really tempted at the sale price of $199 for brown ones. Looked on the Shoebank this morning and saw they had grey ones on sale for $97. Wow! I'm not totally sold on the color, but grey is versatile enough to wear with a number of things in a very casual work environment, and it's pretty much for winter walking, so I figured I'd take a shot, especially at that price point. Called my local Shoebank in Brookfield, WI and they're shipping them right out. If they feel right, I may just bite the bullet and go with the brown ones as well. Anyone else wearing Black Hills? How do you like them?
LL
FYI were trying to get a GMTO going for a bitter chocolate suede badlands which is similar to black hills.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI were trying to get a GMTO going for a bitter chocolate suede badlands which is similar to black hills.
I wish I had the love for suede that a number of other folks have. I just don't. Again, in looking for a casual, winter shoe, I'm not sure suede works well in that scenario. And, living in Chicago means I've got that winter weather to contend with for a good 4 months every year.

Next up to get is a Strand in Oxblood. C'mon Shoebank, show me some more love! Yeah, I know, it's a burnished color, but I think it looks fantastic and I'm willing to live with it, quirky maintenance issues and all.

dave42

Reaction score
Was excited when Brown Shell Strands popped up in my size on Shoebank, so I snagged them. But there is a tear on the perfing of the left shoe, just at the bottom of the laces. It looks like the 2 lines of stitching going across the shoe are still connected over the "gap" created by the tear, but could possibly be weak and fall apart.

Would you gents keep this or return these? I don't care about the $10 restocking fee; issue for me is that it may be a very long time before another one of these shows up in my narrow size. But on the other hand, it was still good money, and I want to own it for a long time and not have it fall apart or look cheap or have the tear spread. Might be worth returning and waiting patiently for another, but I don't know if I'm being too picky.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Oxeblood does look fantastic and if something comes up of interest I too will be grabbing a pair as seconds...I used to share your feeling on suede however after wearing my blue Spiaggia's and tan neumok suedes over the summer with shorts I have converted and now have the Gobi in snuff, ordered a Shaker Heights MTO with half suede and will grab a blue Gobi also...

Some Nano spray and they are great for those days when it is not a complete **** show weather wise and they feel like a slipper...

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was excited when Brown Shell Strands popped up in my size on Shoebank, so I snagged them. But there is a tear on the perfing of the left shoe, just at the bottom of the laces. It looks like the 2 lines of stitching going across the shoe are still connected over the "gap" created by the tear, but could possibly be weak and fall apart.

Would you gents keep this or return these? I don't care about the $10 restocking fee; issue for me is that it may be a very long time before another one of these shows up in my narrow size. But on the other hand, it was still good money, and I want to own it for a long time and not have it fall apart or look cheap or have the tear spread. Might be worth returning and waiting patiently for another, but I don't know if I'm being too picky.

Tough call if that tear is only on the brogue portion and the stitching is sound I would imagine if they should be ok as I would not think that tear would extend much further...that being said at $399 I am not keeping them at $299 I might if they fit perfect...I would send that picture to them and make an offer to keep them at a reduced price you are happy with.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Nope, I am afraid I would have to send those back; that tear is too much for my perfectionist streak, both appearance wise and I would be afraid the tear would get worse, and there is no way to fix that.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
With winter coming right around the corner, I was looking to add another AE rubber-soled shoe to the collection besides my new Longbranches in CXL. I'd been eyeing the Black Hills for a while and was really tempted at the sale price of $199 for brown ones. Looked on the Shoebank this morning and saw they had grey ones on sale for $97. Wow! I'm not totally sold on the color, but grey is versatile enough to wear with a number of things in a very casual work environment, and it's pretty much for winter walking, so I figured I'd take a shot, especially at that price point. Called my local Shoebank in Brookfield, WI and they're shipping them right out. If they feel right, I may just bite the bullet and go with the brown ones as well.

I got the grey Black Hills last year (bought with a pair of polished brown Cascades during the 2 for $250 sale) and have been wearing them much more than I thought I would. Contrary to some of the reviews on the AE site, I find them to be super comfortable. I'm not sure if it's just my pair (seconds), but there's a good hint of brown in the color that doesn't really show up in the online photos.

RichieP

Reaction score

Black Hills were the first pair of AE's I bought. Of the three I tried on that day, it was the most comfortable. I'll think you'll like them. Would have to see the gray in person though. Seems like an odd color. Might blend in well with street slush.

suitntieguy

Reaction score

Was excited when Brown Shell Strands popped up in my size on Shoebank, so I snagged them. But there is a tear on the perfing of the left shoe, just at the bottom of the laces. It looks like the 2 lines of stitching going across the shoe are still connected over the "gap" created by the tear, but could possibly be weak and fall apart. Would you gents keep this or return these? I don't care about the $10 restocking fee; issue for me is that it may be a very long time before another one of these shows up in my narrow size. But on the other hand, it was still good money, and I want to own it for a long time and not have it fall apart or look cheap or have the tear spread. Might be worth returning and waiting patiently for another, but I don't know if I'm being too picky. Thanks in advance for your advice. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
I would have to send those back too. You can't take the chance it gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads