• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Can anyone else chime in on the 8 last? Or more specifically the Clifton?

The 8 last is more narrow than the five last in the toe box. I go TTS in the 5 last for a good fit, but cannot do the 8 last. I find a 12D is too tight in the toe box, while my heel swims in an 11.5E on the 8 last. Go 12D in both the 1 and 5 lasts.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Found out the same yesterday as well. Explains the orange, midsole?, as well. Why they didn't just take the logo off. Who knows.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 8.5D in calf/shell Strand, etc., though my suede Strands and leather Neumoks in the same size are really too narrow. I just tried on a calf Clifton in 8.5D and it feels pretty good, though I'm unsure if it's the exact right size for me. The left foot felt pretty good, but the right had some pinky crowding (which is a common problem for me). So JezeC might be right that rounding to 8.5E might make sense, though I have a bit of a concern that I'll be left with some heel slippage since I feel I'm close to that in these.

I hope that helps, but I'm also seeking any advice. Is 8EEE a crazy idea, or is that overcomplicating things? I'm actually trying to size for the Mora 2.0 and maybe eventually the Carlyle, neither of which are bluchers.

The 8 last is more narrow than the five last in the toe box. I go TTS in the 5 last for a good fit, but cannot do the 8 last. I find a 12D is too tight in the toe box, while my heel swims in an 11.5E on the 8 last. Go 12D in both the 1 and 5 lasts.
I know several on here have said the 8 last is their best fitting and favorite last. But add me to this list above. I tried the Clifton in 3 or 4 different sizes (been a couple years) and could not find a decent fit. Going out in width my heel swam. Going up a half size in length gave better results but not great, and could tell that the toe box would crease past the cap. TTS and same size in 1 and 5 last was too tight. I concluded that it just is not a good fit for my foot.

nomos

Reaction score
An App that suggests the best fitting last based on the length of foot, width of heel, and width and circumference of ball area of foot would be convenient.

rostov

Reaction score
Received my final shipment from the last seconds sale: Cognac Ridgeways. No visible flaws, which is refreshing after the condition my recent purchases of seconds *and* firsts (my Shreveport has a hard lump in the insole...) There are signs someone else tried them on at some point, as they came laced and there was insignificant creasing in the toe-box.

I know you're probably all bored of looking at pictures of my shoes
confused.gif
, but I could not find a single good photo of these online before I made my purchase... so for anyone else contemplating a purchase of these while they're still floating around:

Personally, I plan to take these to the cobbler and see about recoloring the welt (or I may try doing this myself)

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
Personally, I plan to take these to the cobbler and see about recoloring the welt (or I may try doing this myself)

If you don't like the contrast color, did you consider the Cognac McTavish?

rostov

Reaction score
If you don't like the contrast color, did you consider the Cognac McTavish?

The price on these was quite good given they were close-out seconds and I actually prefer that they have a mini-lug sole. A rubber sole, if not a mini-lug, is essential where I live in late fall through the winter. Between this and the recent introduction of several new v-threaded shoes to my rotation, and a new pair of bean boots, I hope that I'll be set for winter.

The contrast stitching is a nice addition over the McTavish for casual wear; the colored welt is a slight negative, but one I can easily correct.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a big show in NYC tonight. Wearing dark denim. Which of these beauts should I sport?

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing what were called Cognac "Corporate Casuals" when I got them. Similar AE shoes are now called "Bentons" (and Cognac is one of the AE colors that has gone to color heaven).......

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my final shipment from the last seconds sale: Cognac Ridgeways. No visible flaws, which is refreshing after the condition my recent purchases of seconds *and* firsts (my Shreveport has a hard lump in the insole...) There are signs someone else tried them on at some point, as they came laced and there was insignificant creasing in the toe-box.

I know you're probably all bored of looking at pictures of my shoes
confused.gif
, but I could not find a single good photo of these online before I made my purchase... so for anyone else contemplating a purchase of these while they're still floating around:

You might want to try wearing your Ridgeways awhile before recoloring the welt.

I like the orange welt, stiching, and laces on my Ridgeways........

SkySaw

Reaction score
Wearing what were called Cognac "Corporate Casuals" when I got them. Similar AE shoes are now called "Bentons" (and Cognac is one of the AE colors that has gone to color heaven).......

Love the shine you get on all your shoes.

green garden

Reaction score

An App that suggests the best fitting last based on the length of foot, width of heel, and width and circumference of ball area of foot would be convenient.

Check out: http://sizeadvisors.com. Not exclusive to AE but a lot of AE entires. Claus, the moderator, is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads