• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarteaga

Reaction score
Nice! I have the Sandersons in both tan and brown and they're my two favorite shoes! I'm slightly more partial to the tan. The burnishing on both cuts is great.

The brown Sanderson is one of my favorite pairs. I have the tan ones too but haven't worn them...yet.

rostov

Reaction score
What he said. If it isn't raining and I can be in jeans, my feet are usually wrapped in #8 shell. Highly recommended.

Alright, alright. There are makeups of shell in darker colors that work. I admit it. Still, the choice would be easier if lighter colors were available. As it is, I'd rather buy 3-4 other pairs of AEs before buying a pair of anything in shell, at least until I have filled in the bigger gaps in my collection. I expect that unless I get an amazing deal (like $300), or if I manage a light color, I'll wait until after I have at least 10 pairs in calf before buying dark-colored shell. I suppose I'm just pragmatic
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just realized that I'm pretty close to that 10-pair threshold following the purchase of 5 new pairs this summer. I'm eating my words somewhat, but I probably will consider buying a burgundy / merlot / cordovan-colored shoe within a year... my point was, I think, that it's not a priority.

Last edited:

IGotId

Reaction score

What he said. If it isn't raining and I can be in jeans, my feet are usually wrapped in #8 shell. Highly recommended.

Just curious as to why people are scared of wearing shell in the rain?

Also, last day of work before a 3 week vacation AE for RL Sandersons. The burnish and color of the leather are pretty awesome. Two photos today in different lighting.

Nice! I have the Sandersons in both tan and brown and they're my two favorite shoes! I'm slightly more partial to the tan. The burnishing on both colors is great.

The brown Sanderson is one of my favorite pairs. I have the tan ones too but haven't worn them...yet.

Did you all pay full price for your RLs?

reidrothchild

Reaction score

Not to brag, but this is exactly why I MTOd tassel loafers in olive suede and mora 2.0 in grey suede. 

Good call on the olive tassels. Not so sure about the grey suede, though. Post some pics of both if you get a chance. I've actually considered MTOing snuff suede Grayson or Kenilworth. At one point, the shoe bank had the snuff suede Grayson that AE did for Land's End in my size, but the price never dropped below $259. Kept waiting for it to be part of one of the sales...and then one day it was gone. Wish I'd have snagged it at $259 now.

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score

This is the only one I've got, Rostov. Taken at night so it's a bit dark. If you spent more time brushing yours than I do, which is very little, you could have them looking even better!

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you all pay full price for your RLs?

Nope. My tan Sandersons were seconds that I got for $129 on sale, and the only "defect" was slightly lighter colored leather on the medial/inside part of one shoe (that was quickly fixed with a layer of cognac AE premium polish).

The brown ones were firsts I got from the DSW website for ~$250 on sale. Great deal for both, as far as I'm concerned. I rarely see seconds of the brown in AE's shoebank.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Nope. My tan Sandersons were seconds that I got for $129 on sale, and the only "defect" was slightly lighter colored leather on the medial/inside part of one shoe (that was quickly fixed with a layer of cognac AE premium polish).

The brown ones were firsts I got from the DSW website for ~$250 on sale. Great deal for both, as far as I'm concerned. I rarely see seconds of the brown in AE's shoebank.

How did you size on the Sandersons compared to the 565 last?

movoblast

Reaction score
Just placed an order for some tan suede amoks for $67. Pretty excited about the shoe at that price. Hope the blemish isn't egregious.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Alright, alright. There are makeups of shell in darker colors that work. I admit it. Still, the choice would be easier if lighter colors were available. As it is, I'd rather buy 3-4 other pairs of AEs before buying a pair of anything in shell, at least until I have filled in the bigger gaps in my collection. I expect that unless I get an amazing deal (like $300), or if I manage a light color, I'll wait until after I have at least 10 pairs in calf before buying dark-colored shell. I suppose I'm just pragmatic
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just realized that I'm pretty close to that 10-pair threshold following the purchase of 5 new pairs this summer. I'm eating my words somewhat, but I probably will consider buying a burgundy / merlot / cordovan-colored shoe within a year... my point was, I think, that it's not a priority.

I thought the same thing but I was hooked after the first pair of cordovan. I certainly have enough calf that I'm happy to start getting cordovan now. It is pricey but at $300 price range it's hard to beat. We all may be in luck in the near future, very near
mwink[1].gif
future

cincikid

Reaction score
Just placed an order for some tan suede amoks for $67. Pretty excited about the shoe at that price. Hope the blemish isn't egregious.
Check whether they have firsts in your size. I snagged a pair of first quality snuff Amoks for just 10 dollars more.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to brag, but this is exactly why I MTOd tassel loafers in olive suede and mora 2.0 in grey suede. 

Good call on the olive tassels. Not so sure about the grey suede, though. Post some pics of both if you get a chance. I've actually considered MTOing snuff suede Grayson or Kenilworth. At one point, the shoe bank had the snuff suede Grayson that AE did for Land's End in my size, but the price never dropped below $259. Kept waiting for it to be part of one of the sales...and then one day it was gone. Wish I'd have snagged it at $259 now.

I was able to grab 2 pairs of a suede tassel loafers. A navy suede Grayson at SRP and a brogue suede Lakeshore drive at 239. Coincidentally, I'm wearing them now
zy2a3yha.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads