• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cappuccino Shell, also referred to as Truffle by AE

Very nice.

I have some of AE's "brown" shell cordovan and it looks similar to truffle (I don't own any truffle)

Case in point, Bwn shell strands:

bwn shell townleys
My pix are not as nice as yours.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They may feel ok at the moment, but you do seem to want an answer as to why they are creasing. It definitely looks like these are too narrow for you - the gap in between laces is quite extreme IMO. Ill fit is definitely one reason why you could be seeing this strange creasing. FWIW, I'm a 13D on the Brannock and wear a 12EEE in the Clifton. I suggest (as others have said) that you size down in length, and up the width.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Cold Iron and Cool Arrow...I just now ordered a pair of Bentons in brown Shell Cordovan.

If I understand correctly,
the lighter colors in shell are exquisite, beautiful, showing many shades in light, but rare/hard to find.

AE currently offers darker colors which are more certain to match, so there is less waste involved.

I look forward to the re-entry of walnut or truffle, but still love both the burgundy and the brown shell available now.

I only recently became aware of this shell mto option, and it is not going well for my checkbook.

Currently on order:

-No perferation, chili calf Dalton with 511g last and rubber sole
-Black shell Aston
-Brown shell Benton
-unnamed plain toe boot from the fall line up, in black shell cordovan. Think Harley D.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Thanks. They actually fit very well. The right is a tad tighter but this is probably the best fitting AE pair I have, with very little break-in required. They are a little long in the toe but the width is spot on. The distance between the lace flaps is approximately the same by default.

They look too long and too narrow for your foot. It's easy to get the width feeling right if you go long enough.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Thanks to Cold Iron and Cool Arrow...I just now ordered a pair of Bentons in brown Shell Cordovan.

the lighter colors in shell are exquisite, beautiful, showing many shades in light, but rare/hard to find.  

AE currently offers darker colors which are more certain to match, so there is less waste involved.  

I look forward to the re-entry of walnut or truffle, but still love both the burgundy and the brown shell available now.

I only recently became aware of this shell mto option, and it is not going well for my checkbook.

Currently on order:

-No perferation, chili calf Dalton with 511g last and  rubber sole
-Black shell Aston
-Brown shell Benton
-unnamed plain toe boot from the fall line up, in black shell cordovan.  Think Harley D.  

Do you wear the orthotics or will they be taken out? I find myself looking at the orthodox line for other styles but am concerned about sizing without the insole.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear the orthotics or will they be taken out? I find myself looking at the orthodox line for other styles but am concerned about sizing without the insole.

I am not diagnosed with any orthotic need, but I prefer the added padding when I'm on my feet all day. (6'4" 250 lbs)

I test drove a pair on clearance just to see what I thought. Once I wore them, I was hooked.

With the orthotic pad and the rubber sole, the 511g seems to fit just like a 511 shoe without the orthotic insert.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Currently on order:

-No perferation, chili calf Dalton with 511g last and  rubber sole
-Black shell Aston
-Brown shell Benton
-unnamed plain toe boot from the fall line up, in black shell cordovan.  Think Harley D.  

I've got an unperfed Dalton in the works too, pending leather samples.

What is this upcoming boot? How did you find pix (and will you share), and what last is it on?

I have the voyager for everyday neighborhood walking. They're my "dad" shoes. I do appreciate the orthotic insole quite a bit...

indigoroots

Reaction score
I am a 11.5E in the 5 last and a 12D in the 8 last. Pretty SOP I believe.

Speaking of which...these came in from Lord & Taylor the other day...

Any chance you got post a side by side shot with the park avenues? The Caryles seem to have a longer, more modern toe-taper which I'm digging.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is this upcoming boot? How did you find pix (and will you share), and what last is it on?

I have the voyager for everyday neighborhood walking. They're my "dad" shoes. I do appreciate the orthotic insole quite a bit...

I too put in for leather samples for less perfed Dalton...fighting between an awesome pebble/regular vass boot knockoff I spotted in a thread or half suede half calf type thing...really hoping to delay long enough to see fall line up.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I too put in for leather samples for less perfed Dalton...fighting between an awesome pebble/regular vass boot knockoff I spotted in a thread or half suede half calf type thing...really hoping to delay long enough to see fall line up.

Ha! That's what I was planning on. Combination dark chili/ chili grain. Kind of a shortwing boot version of my regent streets.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! That's what I was planning on. Combination dark chili/ chili grain. Kind of a shortwing boot version of my regent streets.

LOL...that is a smoking hot boot...I was thinking burgundy or chili also...I am thinking a lighter welt as I kind of like the way that pops. I have not done a true MTO yet so I may PM you for some advice.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL...that is a smoking hot boot...I was thinking burgundy or chili also...I am thinking a lighter welt as I kind of like the way that pops. I have not done a true MTO yet so I may PM you for some advice. 

No prob. I've done 4 so far.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen, I hope we all get to see cappuccino once again become available.

@watchidiot just realized I think you are in the Philippines? I've spent more than my fair share of time in Subic Bay and running to Clark AFB and Manila. Hope you had pleasant dreams, tonight I will likely be dreaming of the sights, sounds and smells of PI from a Jeepney. Thank you for the memories.

I'm currently based out of Brunei, a mere 2 hr flight from Manila. But yes, I was born and bred in the Philippines and was back home just last week where I got the full experience of the sights, smells and sounds of the PI jeepney. Best experienced in dreams and not in Metro Manila at 12nn, with 80% humidity haha.

I love driving around Subic Bay and Clark AFB. Thanks to the US, those places have been maintained very nicely and is probably one of the few places the urban have mixed nicely with the wild. It's also probably the only two places in the Philippines where ALL the road signs are followed.

Hope to share some stories with you in the future!

Back to regular programming...

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is 3 'reduced perferation' Daltons currently on order. Hopefully, we'll see all three pairs here eventually to compare notes.

unnamed plain boot is a wish list item, I'm hopin'

IGotId

Reaction score

I'm a new SF member too. Purchased my first pair of AE's in April and am now up to 8 pairs. still trying to get my ahead around the obsession and i'm now placing orders to be delivered so that I can get the package before my gf gets home (she stopped approving after the 5th pair...)

Struggling to read all +3150 pages of posts but are there other AE discounts available to the AE Appreciation/SF members? 

If the first rule of SF discounts is not to mention SF discounts, I'd be grateful for a PM. thanks!

Another new member, I'd love the same information. Thanks in advance!

Also, does the 2 for $300 cover all the 'tent sale' listings including cordovan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads