• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the 2 for $300 sale active? Has anyone had luck in getting discounts on shoes which are priced at $149 prior to the sale? I mean, I understand the 2 for $300 can be a really good deal for shoes priced over $150, but there are some models I'm interested in which always seem to be priced at $149.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been purchasing 5-last shoes (Strand, PA, etc) in 10.5D. This made sense to me as all the casual shoes I've ever purchased are somewhere between size 10-11 (and, of course, standard D width).

However, I was recently measured on a Brannock device and was found to be a 12B.

Have I been buying the wrong size of shoe from AE? In other words, does the extra width in a 10.5D compensate for the fact that my feet are actually a size 12 in length?

I want to buy a few more pairs from the shoebank, and now I'm wondering if I should be looking at the 12B listings instead of the 10.5D listings. I wish I had an AE outlet somewhere nearby so I could try on multiple sizes/lasts, but unfortunately that's not an option.

Part of the Brannock measurement is the heel to arch measurement. I suspect this is what is a 12 for you, while your overall foot length may be a little shorter. I have this issue as my heel to arch is a 12, but my overall length is a 11.5.

Try the 12B and see how it compares. Not much else you can do other than try them on and see what fits best.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Can you throw up a pic of it. Saw some at the shoe bank and wondering which ones they were.

indigoroots

Reaction score
It looks like Nordstrom Strands are made on a different last than the AE Strands (picked up off Amazon).

1) Nordstrom's version has a noticeably larger (both longer and wider) toe-box, with the brogueing further from the tip

2) Nordstrom version has a longer and wider heel

Has this been discussed in the past? Do we have any insight on why the Nordstrom and AE versions are so different?

Last edited:

rc121

Reaction score

It looks like Nordstrom Strands are made on a different last than the AE Strands (picked up off Amazon). 1) Nordstrom's version has a noticeably larger (both longer and wider) toe-box, with the brogueing further from the tip 2) Nordstrom version has a longer and wider heel Has this been discussed in the past? Do we have any insight on why the Nordstrom and AE versions are so different?
go into an AE store and compare two of the same shoe, guarantee you will find the same (or other) differences.

kentyman

Reaction score
It looks like Nordstrom Strands are made on a different last than the AE Strands (picked up off Amazon).

These are just slight variations due to being made by hand.

kentyman

Reaction score

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are just slight variations due to being made by hand.

This. Also, there are many different copies of each last. Could be minuscule variations in length between each.

LaffinPoet

Reaction score
Slightly slow day at work. Decided to do an inventory of my AE's, along with the frequency of wear in the rotation. It feels a little compared some of the other guys on the thread.

Style Color Frequency
Fifth Avenue Walnut Weekly
McAllister Chili Weekly
Strand Burnished Brown Weekly
Strand Walnut Weekly
Lexington Dark Brown Bi-Weekly
Strand Black Bi-Weekly
Park Avenue Black Monthly
Amok Blue New
Dalton Dark Brown New
McAllister Black New
McAllister Merlot New

mrfixit

Reaction score
Interesting! Which standard AE model do these correspond with? Malvern? Dundee? Ralph Lauren Saunders? Any idea what last they're on?
i don't have any of those but saunders is most similar i guess since it has 2 lace holes. iirc they are unlined though. it is a pretty narrow last. feels 2-ish.

facet

Reaction score

Slightly slow day at work. Decided to do an inventory of my AE's, along with the frequency of wear in the rotation. It feels a little compared some of the other guys on the thread.

That's still a pretty decent collection. Mine's only at five; and I feel pretty set at this point.

Last edited:

LaffinPoet

Reaction score
I've actually liked the fit on Nordstrom versions better than the ones I got from AE directly. I found them to be a touch bit roomier and more comfortable than the AE-purchased versions. But again, there is the human manufacturing element to it.

LaffinPoet

Reaction score
Some shells in there would be nice but there's nothing in the current line-up that make me want to drop the $$$, and endure the subsequent convo with the wifey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads