• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
The split toe shoe trees are a pain **********! They keep expanding too early and getting jammed in the shoe. Sticking with one piece for sure next time.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

The split toe shoe trees are a pain **********! They keep expanding too early and getting jammed in the shoe. Sticking with one piece for sure next time.

Haha. I push them in the shoe by the back of the toe part, not by the heel. This way it doesn't cause them to expand. I push the toe all the way forward, then compress the heel portion in the shoe. Makes a world of difference. Give it a try!

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Haha. I push them in the shoe by the back of the toe part, not by the heel. This way it doesn't cause them to expand. I push the toe all the way forward, then compress the heel portion in the shoe. Makes a world of difference. Give it a try!

Yeah I realized this but its still annoying. My one piece AE trees slide in smoothly. Oh well, maybe these will stretch them out a little for some extra room

Scottyb06

Reaction score

At the time of sending the shoes in, on AE recommendation, I ordered some natural edge-dressing, but looking at photos I agree that chilli is likely a better bet.

My walnut Strands use chili and that is what I was told to use. Color is a perfect match.

LeviMay

Reaction score

I am trying to narrow down my collection and want to solicit your opinions about the following two shoes. How similar do you think brown cordovan Strands are with the Alden's Alt Wien? While they are technically very different shoes, I feel that they fit the very similar purposes in my wardrobe and was thinking of selling the Strand. Thoughts?
I would love to offer you advice... Depending on the size of the Strands.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you need to make a YouTube video

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to narrow down my collection and want to solicit your opinions about the following two shoes. How similar do you think brown cordovan Strands are with the Alden's Alt Wien? While they are technically very different shoes, I feel that they fit the very similar purposes in my wardrobe and was thinking of selling the Strand. Thoughts?

If the Alt Wiens are 9.5D, you should definitely sell them . . . to me.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand that the Alden's are technically higher quality with better finishing, but im just not a fan of this particular model; of its shape or pattern. I find the medallion rather condensed and unattractive. Having said that, they are completely different kinds of shoes, and different colors. Keep them both! Great photos, btw.

Last edited:

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I understand that the Alden's are technically higher quality with better finishing, but in just not a fan of this particular model; of its shape or pattern. I find the medallion rather condensed and unattractive.

Having said that, they are completely different kinds of shoes, and different colors. Keep them both!

I second the sentiment on the Aldens. The cordovan they consist of definitely has a more luscious look to it, but that could just as well be a factor of polish, lighting, or the photos. The Strand is an aesthetically superior shoe in every way, IMHO. The Aldens look like a pair of arbitrarily done-up Leeds. Not a good look.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both look amazing.

At the end of the day, it comes down to preference. You really can't go wrong with either pairs.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Strands with chinos and trousers, the Alt Wien with jeans! 

Though I don't own the Al Wien and would never likely trade in my cordovan Strands, one of my favorite shoe models.

The AltWein can do all of that.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AltWein can do all of that.

No doubt that it is more versatile. I have seen the tempting photos from Don that had me contemplating the Epaulet preorder, I was really close to pulling the trigger. Even though I love my Strands and am wearing them today, it's only the 3rd time wearing them since picking them up a couple months ago.

The ultimate versatile shoe for my wardrobe will be the Alden cigar LWB, currently on a list for a pair with antique edge. I wear mostly chinos and jeans, oxford shirts, sweaters and cardigans. No suits or proper dress pants even in my wardrobe at the moment for day to day wear.

Ravello Alt Wein might change my mind on how I feel about them.... (in case you ever tire of your pair, I will be waiting
lurker[1].gif
)

indigoroots

Reaction score
I second the sentiment on the Aldens. The cordovan they consist of definitely has a more luscious look to it, but that could just as well be a factor of polish, lighting, or the photos. The Strand is an aesthetically superior shoe in every way, IMHO. The Aldens look like a pair of arbitrarily done-up Leeds. Not a good look.

Completely agree.

Additionally, the Strand seems to have a longer toe box which is a more modern and my preferred look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads