• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These standards slips indicate a leadership failure. Someone is dodging accountability, or AE is doing such a business that they are pushing the manufacturing line too hard. I wonder what morale is like there.

I've been told by my SA that is't a combination of younger / unexperienced workers, and a growing demand. It does surprise me that most SA's never seem to agree that the flaws are indeed flaws. They use to look at me like i was a crazy man, and i guess most AE customers might not be seeing, or caring about these flaws either. Just us OCD shoe nerds i guess :)

I will say that i could not pull the trigger on a pair of first quality Patriots they ordered in for me. Oblong cut soles, leather flaws on the vamp, & non-matching heel sizes. The quality was just not there, especially considering the increasing prices. It was been about a year since i bought an AE, but $365 for this pair of loafers seemed a bit high, i don't remember the prices being so high. Maybe i'll pick the Patriot up on a Shoe Bank sale instead, as i did like the style, and they fit well...

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thank goodness for Ms. Allison. I was beginning to wonder if there shouldn't be an offshoot thread entitled, "What AE screwed up today".

You are annoying. EG states that their rejection rate is around 2%. Given the massive volume of shoes that AE manufacturers for all we know their rate may be the same or higher? Allen Edmonds represents a very high price to performance ratio. They trounce brands like Cole Haan for not much more money. They are far more focused on Cole Haan and Kenneth Cole than British shoemakers

Swampoodle

Reaction score

Not all American.

I see.

The bright side of this? There is opportunity in marketing loose threads and mismatched shoes as "rusticity". There is a division of the mighty RL company that has raised that particular tactic to a fine art.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this still the AE appreciation thread?

Why are some people here expecting AE quality to be in the same conversation as C&J quality? AE first-quality can be had for about $250 or, heck, even less than $200 like we saw in the JAB deal. AE is fantastic for its price point.

Swampoodle

Reaction score

I've been told by my SA that is't a combination of younger / unexperienced workers, and a growing demand. It does surprise me that most SA's never seem to agree that the flaws are indeed flaws. They use to look at me like i was a crazy man, and i guess most AE customers might not be seeing, or caring about these flaws either. Just us OCD shoe nerds i guess :)

I will say that i could not pull the trigger on a pair of first quality Patriots they ordered in for me. Oblong cut soles, leather flaws on the vamp, & non-matching heel sizes. The quality was just not there, especially considering the increasing prices. It was been about a year since i bought an AE, but $365 for this pair of loafers seemed a bit high, i don't remember the prices being so high. Maybe i'll pick the Patriot up on a Shoe Bank sale instead, as i did like the style, and they fit well...

I am intrigued by the shoe bank concept, and it seems to be the rational way to go when purchasing this brand of shoe. In that manner, one would not be disappointed to find defects. Nay, defects would be expected, and one could smile at them, knowing those very mistakes enabled a very inviting discount.

Last edited:

Swampoodle

Reaction score

Anyone else feel like this same conversation is going on on repeat in like 5 different thread? Pretty boring...I think I need to take a bit of a break from SF

Two hundred posts (on average) per month, since joining? My good man, I would opt for a "bit of a break" as well, if only to give my fingers a rest. Well deserved, and you should be lauded for your contributions and dedication.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked through the shoe section of my local Nordstrom Rack to see if there are anything interesting and saw a pair of tan Banchorys in my size that were marked as "worn & refinished" for $120. As best as I can tell, they were at most tried-on at some point (the soles look brand new) and were not seconds (unlike some other AE's there that had the seconds marking on the sole), so I brought them home. I may still end up returning them, but leaning toward keeping them for now.

I realize these are probably not popular around here, but I'm a fan of long wings, and could actually use a light tan pair of shoes to go with a seldom used natural leather belt I have (you know you have an issue when you're buying shoes to go with belts...).

With the above mentioned belt:

This picture convinced me to buy the Banchory in tan. Placing my order tomorrow:)

Swampoodle

Reaction score

Two hundred posts (on average) per month, since joining? My good man, I would opt for a "bit of a break" as well, if only to give my fingers a rest. Well deserved, and you should be lauded for your contributions and dedication.

"Public math" did me in again. Whatever your correct posting rate, you are deserving of plaudits and a well-earned sabbatical.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps not, but many of these MTOs certainly approach that figure, and some peoples' time, energy, and resources have sufficient value that opting for a higher quality product is actually a better decision, economically.

They are vastly different companies with vastly different business plans and scales of operations.

The only shoes that come close to 700$ in the AE line up are cordovan boots, and other exotics like ostrich or croc.

Most of the calf or cow MTOs here were actually purchased at sale price points, with any problems followed up with great customer service. That's why you don't see much complaining.

Swampoodle

Reaction score

They are vastly different companies with vastly different business plans and scales of operations.

The only shoes that come close to 700$ in the AE line up are cordovan boots, and other exotics like ostrich or croc.

Most of the calf or cow MTOs here were actually purchased at sale price points, with any problehms followed up with great customer service. That's why you don't see much complaining.

Indeed. Ms. Allison must be a very busy and capable person! With hope, AE can keep her happy. It appears that she has come to the rescue for many people in this thread, and sometimes several times in the same transaction!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed. Ms. Allison must be a very busy and capable person! With hope, AE can keep her happy. It appears that she has come to the rescue for many people in this thread, and sometimes several times in the same transaction!

Oh, I get it. You're trolling. Well, have fun with that.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allison sent me these Strand seconds in brown cordovan to size and I am keeping them. The medallion is not completely symmetric between the left and right shoes. On the left shoe, small pinking issue on the medial side, and two loose stitches on the lateral side. Overall, they look great for seconds. Comparable to some of the first quality that I have been sent.

Hmmm, what size did you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads