• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allison sent me these Strand seconds in brown cordovan to size and I am keeping them. The medallion is not completely symmetric between the left and right shoes. On the left shoe, small pinking issue on the medial side, and two loose stitches on the lateral side. Overall, they look great for seconds. Comparable to some of the first quality that I have been sent.

nice! thanks for sharing

gatszu

Reaction score
I must say I have noticed quite a few AE-related posts with a theme something like, "Does this look screwed up to you?", followed by pics of something that definitely does look screwed up to me, especially at that price point.

Your shoes are seconds, so by definition there will be issues, but most of these pics of defects are of "firsts", if that is an actual term.

Is there insufficient QC at AE these days, or?

I think QC is insufficient and sometimes the standards are rather lax. I have received seconds that look like they should be 3rd or 4th. I have received first with obvious defects such as mismatched outsoles. Although these are seconds, they look as good as some first I have received. Personally, I feel that there are a lot of inconsistencies between sizing in the same size in the same last, especially when it comes to cordovan because it can't be pulled tight over the last.

Swampoodle

Reaction score
These standards slips indicate a leadership failure. Someone is dodging accountability, or AE is doing such a business that they are pushing the manufacturing line too hard. I wonder what morale is like there. This seems more British Leyland or GM than Toyota, if you get my drift.

Crockett & Jones, for example, would never let these kinds of defects reach a customer.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These standards slips indicate a leadership failure. Someone is dodging accountability, or AE is doing such a business that they are pushing the manufacturing line too hard. I wonder what morale is like there. This seems more British Leyland or GM than Toyota, if you get my drift.

Crockett & Jones, for example, would never let these kinds of defects reach a customer.

...Allen Edmonds would never charge $700 for a shoe.

Last edited:

Swampoodle

Reaction score
Perhaps not, but many of these MTOs certainly approach that figure, and some peoples' time, energy, and resources have sufficient value that opting for a higher quality product is actually a better decision, economically.

StyleNovice6

Reaction score
finally made it home to purchase the bourbon strands from nordstrom.. unfortunately 11 C's are sold out so i'm going to try out D's. Only other AE's I own are 11 C Burgundy Sanfords and they fit excellent. As far as I know the strand last runs narrow anyways? so maybe D is the correct size?

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps not, but many of these MTOs certainly approach that figure, and some peoples' time, energy, and resources have sufficient value that opting for a higher quality product is actually a better decision, economically.
You are not comparing apples to apples.
MTO calf from GG or EG is 2-3x the price of AE MTO shell.

However, the great thing is that you are welcome to spend your cash as you see fit.
If you want perfect, you won't find it here. (Or anywhere for that matter)
Yes we should expect high quality, and honestly, you do get it here.
You will find a good quality American made product.
Period.

Swampoodle

Reaction score
Comparing AE to C&J is indeed unfair, to the extreme. While AEs are a "good american product", even considering the aforementioned sampling error and the manner in which that might skew perception, one can safely conclude that they are not great.

And AE may be sliding to the "OK", which would be a pity.

You are not comparing apples to apples. 
MTO calf from GG or EG is 2-3x the price of AE MTO shell. 

However, the great thing is that you are welcome to spend your cash as you see fit.
If you want perfect, you won't find it here. (Or anywhere for that matter)
Yes we should expect high quality, and honestly, you do get it here.
You will find a good quality American made product. 
Period.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like this same conversation is going on on repeat in like 5 different thread? Pretty boring...I think I need to take a bit of a break from SF

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Anyone else feel like this same conversation is going on on repeat in like 5 different thread? Pretty boring...I think I need to take a bit of a break from SF

At least 3 threads that I count. I dunno what is going on today.

gatszu

Reaction score

Above are some photos of the damages to the welt on my Dundee MTO first. Appears the damage were done when the plastic wrap around the upper was removed. Of course, Allison sent me a label send these back to be touched up. When I got these back, they did touch up the welt, but didn't finish the job.

AE QC and attention to details leave a lot to be desired.

However, the customer service has been top notch. I can't say enough good thing about Allison.

Swampoodle

Reaction score

Five different threads simultaneously bemoan the state of American manufacturing? Now I find that in itself fascinating, if only from the oddsmaker's perspective.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Wow. You guys are harsh. I dunno if I would have even noticed that.

Swampoodle

Reaction score

Above are some photos of the damages to the welt on my Dundee MTO first. Appears the damage were done when the plastic wrap around the upper was removed. Of course, Allison sent me a label send these back to be touched up. When I got these back, they did touch up the welt, but didn't finish the job. AE QC and attention to details leave a lot to be desired. However, the customer service has been top notch. I can't say enough good thing about Allison.
Thank goodness for Ms. Allison. I was beginning to wonder if there shouldn't be an offshoot thread entitled, "What AE screwed up today".

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Five different threads simultaneously bemoan the state of American manufacturing? Now I find that in itself fascinating, if only from the oddsmaker's perspective.

Not all American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads