• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiker

Reaction score
Hey anyone know what happened to the factory second data base? Its not working for me anymore.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

They are amazing. They look strikingly similar to what Alden's Ravello Shell Cordovan has become. -Mike
I agree, Mike. Ravello is still a bit redder, though.
Some of you might cringe at the thought of me wearing bals with jeans haha, but I really couldn't resist not cleaning the up last night and wearing them today. I was too excited to give them a go around the office. The Strands I picked up are an 8D and fit like a glove, I bought these in an 8.5D and still fit extremely well. My first pair of AE a year ago was a walnut calf McAllister and they work so I knew the risk was minimal in sizing up. The 5 last fits me very well with my low vamp and narrow heel, it also fits me wider across the toes compared to the 1 last size for size. I think I will be buying more 5 last shoes in the future. Phenomenal shoe all around, loving the wheeled welt.
LL

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, Mike. Ravello is still a bit redder, though.
LL

Close enough to satisfy my rare shell hunger and hold me back from jumping on a used pair of something in Ravello.

Oh and these McAllisters have barely creased today, has me feeling like Mike. The strands creased on the first step trying them on yesterday haha

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Close enough to satisfy my rare shell hunger and hold me back from jumping on a used pair of something in Ravello. 

Oh and these McAllisters have barely creased today, has me feeling like Mike. The strands creased on the first step trying them on yesterday haha

I agree. They are spectacular.

My 8D Cambridge are my oldest shell shoes and probably have the most wear and there isn't a crease on them! LOL.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ HAHA It wasn't a choice. The 8D 5 last just fits me so well that there is no excess material to crease. Everything else I own is creased like hell.

ElDave

Reaction score

Seconds order arrived to Canada in record time! Ordered on Tuesday afternoon. SA threw in shoe bags as well. The Brown Corodvan Strands look great for seconds, a slight dent on the heel of one. Little bit of poor pinking work on the toe and slight shade variation on one toe. Overall very happy with them for seconds pricing as I have seen many firsts with the complaint of the pinking. The Truffle Cordovan McAllisters are beautiful and look great with the exception of one section, not sure what happened but it doesn't look great. That being said, I did state to Chris from the shoebank I was only concerned with toe issues, I am sticking to that with this pair as truffle cordovan is long gone so I will be keeping these. The issue is on the most discreet section of the shoe it could be and I think with some deerboning and a bit of polish I could hide it even further. I little bit of a pinking issue again on the back quarter of the shoe but it's small. Lots of bloom on these guys too. They say that Truffle/Cappuccino cordovan are one in the same but these are far lighter compared to the Cappuccino Bayfields I have, which I am very excited about. This Truffle pair is as close as I am going to get to Walnut. I look forward to taking some better pictures of my whole AE cordovan collection. Brown Cordovan Strand:
Truffle Cordovan McAllister:
It's been fun, but Burzan just won the Seconds Game. Pack up and head home, everybody. In all seriousness, I would have no issue with the flaws that made these seconds and would absolutely purchase exact similar ones if they were available in my size.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

It's been fun, but Burzan just won the Seconds Game. Pack up and head home, everybody.

In all seriousness, I would have no issue with the flaws that made these seconds and would absolutely purchase exact similar ones if they were available in my size.

+1. These ARE my size, but I never checked out the shoe bank site until today. Oh well.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you might cringe at the thought of me wearing bals with jeans haha, but I really couldn't resist not cleaning the up last night and wearing them today. I was too excited to give them a go around the office.

The Strands I picked up are an 8D and fit like a glove, I bought these in an 8.5D and still fit extremely well. My first pair of AE a year ago was a walnut calf McAllister and they work so I knew the risk was minimal in sizing up. The 5 last fits me very well with my low vamp and narrow heel, it also fits me wider across the toes compared to the 1 last size for size. I think I will be buying more 5 last shoes in the future. Phenomenal shoe all around, loving the wheeled welt.

Good for you.
I for one am not completely opposed to wearing them with jeans.
My preference is to dark denim uncuffed if wearing the right bal.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know how you guys do it, my macneils creased haha but I embrace the creases

^^ HAHA It wasn't a choice. The 8D 5 last just fits me so well that there is no excess material to crease. Everything else I own is creased like hell.

I am in the same boat as Tifosi, all of my shoes have quite a bit of creasing. This might be my lucky pair or something because they are even half a size too big so I can't even say its because they are a perfect fit.

It's been fun, but Burzan just won the Seconds Game. Pack up and head home, everybody.

In all seriousness, I would have no issue with the flaws that made these seconds and would absolutely purchase exact similar ones if they were available in my size.

Thanks for the kind words, I got lucky seeing them on the new site so I have Allen Edmonds to thank for that. Now if I could only find a pair of Walnut cordovan Daltons haha... Maybe I can convince Ryden to sell me his pair one day

Hahaha, I don't plan to make a habit out of it.

Good for you.
I for one am not completely opposed to wearing them with jeans.
My preference is to dark denim uncuffed if wearing the right bal.

My next pair of denim I am going to have tailored to no break, that way It will look better and still can cuff with boots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads