• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Troll here.

Good to see that the takeaway isn't at all what I intended to communicate. I will take greater care in the future.

conservative business dress isn't my MO. If you find yourself there, then I think you'd get more help from someone else.

As for the discussion at hand:

Here I am wearing navy cords and lighter/chili shoes. Put up or shut up for me if you will. Spoilered as the shoes aren't AE.

Explanation:

Shoes themselves have a low abomination level. They are very consistently country casual. Pebble leather, boot, blucher etc. This fact makes it easier to get away with a less than traditional combination because my outfit doesn't have to fight with the shoes.

Light shoes with dark pants is visually jarring and light shoes are casual. Therefore I needed to pair them with similarly casual items. Navy cords fit right into the country casual realm. Though they provide a strong contrast, so I will need to be careful with the rest of my choices. A matching navy tie is sedate and simple for the top block, however note it's styling. Sticking with the country casual theme we have chosen forces me to take a square bottomed wool knit. A silk tie wouldn't have worked nearly as well here. The jacket needs to be light to contrast well with the pants, and it needs to echo the country casual theme as well. Light gray flannel is a perfect choice. Shirt is similarly consistent as it is an OCBD, although the stripes might be construed as more "city" by some and may be discordant. A standard light blue OCBD may have been better.

My main point is that when you break rules, you need to do so knowledgeably with all other aspects of the outfit on point or you will look bad. Additionally, some rules are harder to break well than others.

Light shoes with a navy suit attempts to mix a very formal/businessy upper block with a casual shoe and nearly always looks jarring and discordant. This is even worse if the suit is very worsted or pinstriped etc. I maintain that is extremely difficult if not impossible to do this well, and if you just slap "country" pebble LWB on while you are wearing your worsted navy suit you aren't "rocking" it. You are just okay with looking bad.

I don't want people to "conform", I want people to execute their personal style WELL, and it takes knowledge to do that. The "rules" should serve as a guide and should certainly be broken. However, the only way to do that in a genuinely stylish way is to take the time to learn the rules and WHY they are what they are. If one simply says "I don't care about the rules" from the outset, then they are doomed. Sometimes they will put together something stylish, but it will have been an "accident" if you will and they won't be able to dress sharp consistently.

I have little style and do not know the rules..I simply apply my former artist training to what I feel matches and does not match and I am very fine with it....that being said I enjoy your explanations of the rules and how you come about putting your clothes together. Well done!

frankmartin

Reaction score
The AE for Brooks Brothers shoes are basically the same as the standard AE shoes except they usually have poron insoles and rubber outsole covers added. Some people like these modifications while others don't (I'm indifferent, but I do like the BB sole for wet weather). I believe there's a double corporate card sale (30% off) going on on 5/21, so you might want to wait until then.

If you don't mind factory seconds, checkout www.shoebank.com to see if there's anything that interests you.

A lot (maybe all?) of the Brooks Brothers shoes made by Allen Edmonds which have the vtread also have combo or dovetail heels. Part of the combination heel is leather. So, the rubber sole is great for wet weather, but the leather heel really is not, so I don't get the point of this at all. It does look kinda cool, but otherwise just does not make sense to me.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the corporate card sale...Maybe I'll hold out and go for the 30% deal.....

I'll check shoebank as well.

I have bought BB shoes (seconds quality) from the AE outlet stores before and very satisfied with them. I dont think the website (shoebank) will show the inventory for AE shoes. If you already know your size, best to just call the store and see what they have. I believe many of the BB versions are on sale for around ~165 right now at the outlet stores, right around your budget.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how I solve the problem of the bizarre heels on the Brooks Brothers versions of Allen-Edmonds shoes.........

YoungSweet

Reaction score
This is how I solve the problem of the bizarre heels on the Brooks Brothers versions of Allen-Edmonds shoes.........

Interesting ... My BB Fifth Ave is wearing down pretty fast within 6 months. Did you get these done after the heels wear down? Would you mind sharing how much it cost?

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting ... My BB Fifth Ave is wearing down pretty fast within 6 months. Did you get these done after the heels wear down? Would you mind sharing how much it cost?
I get it done (for safety reasons) before I wear any Brooks Brothers versions of Allen-Edmonds shoes. (I don't have any shoes with leather heels or soles.) In Los Angeles, new rubber heels are usually between $18.00 and $20.00.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I get it done (for safety reasons) before I wear any Brooks Brothers versions of Allen-Edmonds shoes. (I don't have any shoes with leather heels or soles.) In Los Angeles, new rubber heels are usually between $18.00 and $20.00.
Thanks for the quick reply. Did they remove the existing heels and replace with the rubber heels or just glue the rubber heels on top of the existing heels?

Spiker

Reaction score
Hello,

I need sizing help.

10D in Park and Delray/Laselle.
Park fit perfect, Delray/Laselle-near perfect (tiniest bit of heel slip)

So I got a pair of Randolph in 10D and slipping so much I cant really wear it (even with a heel pad it is still slipping).
The font feel pretty snug. Do you guys suggest a 9.5D next time or a 9.5E?

Odradek

Reaction score

The AE for Brooks Brothers shoes are basically the same as the standard AE shoes except they usually have poron insoles and rubber outsole covers added. Some people like these modifications while others don't (I'm indifferent, but I do like the BB sole for wet weather). I believe there's a double corporate card sale (30% off) going on on 5/21, so you might want to wait until then.

If you don't mind factory seconds, checkout www.shoebank.com to see if there's anything that interests you.

When speaking of seconds, the BB versions are often less money than the regular AE version for some reason. At least that was the case last year when I bought MacNeil and Shelton seconds, BB versions.

cdgreg

Reaction score
There are a couple that work for me ( high instep) so of course, AE is cutting them out. One is the McGraw. The other is the RL Singleton. Both are penny's. Some sizes can be had at the outlets/ Shoebank. None of the current AE loafers worked for me.

Thank you for the feedback on this, it will get me started on my search!

StyleNovice6

Reaction score
So i'm assuming the new website for seconds will have no effect on 2 for 250 second sales? Are Dalton's typically included in the 2 for 250 sales?

Also, think the upcoming nordstrom sale will be worth waiting for?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have little style and do not know the rules..I simply apply my former artist training to what I feel matches and does not match and I am very fine with it....that being said I enjoy your explanations of the rules and how you come about putting your clothes together. Well done!

I wear my walnut stands with navy pants, looks great to me :slayer:

I like the contrast of light colored shoes or boots with dark color pants. I.e Clarks with jeans. Are people in this thread freaking 70 years old? :slayer::smarmy:

BTW I"m just having some fun. I understand most people are conservative here

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like the brooks brothers poron insoles. They're extremely comfortable and feels like I'm walking on a cloud

robbiebutt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just thought I'd post that I have a pairs of shoes for sale, the Fairfax in 8.5D black, and the Jefferson in 8.5D brown. Check out my ads, I'd like to move them so I can add some walnut Strands to my collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads