• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
So my question is this..if Black shoes seem to go with virtually nothing why is it such a common shoe? Is this anti black pants or black shoes just something of a fad like hopefully rolling up ones pants? :)

Is the no black shoes thing just for suits?

On to a different question - If you had to pick a shoe to have made in blue suede what would it be? I am in the process of trying to get a correct Spiaggia fitting blue suede and so far have not been a fan of the Gumlite sole or the odd golf ball heel lump on two so far - I will deal with it if I can get the below shoe for the $125 price that I paid. That being said if I can not I would like to get a blue suede made up and was curious what the thoughts were... I certainly could do a McCallister MTO with a red or black Dainite sole - I think going to the jefferson is overkill. Any thoughts on a Lexington done in blue suede...not limited to sale items either.

I own several shoes in navy suede, chamois and CXL. I am a big fan of the navy leathers but as you probably realize, navy shoes are going to be quite casual. This is why I wouldn't get a balmoral (Strand or Spiaggia for this matter) in navy suede as it sort of conflicts with the overall design and purpose of that shoe. This is why I'd go with the oxfords or loafers.

As far as the AE is concerned, I have two favorites: the Stewart (Leeds) make up for the Lands End Canvas and the MacNeil for the Freemans Sporting Club (FSC actually spells it as the McNeil for whatever reason). Both shoes have natural welts and natural edge trim which make a nice contrast with the navy suede.

If you are going for an MTO, I'd probably consider adding brass eyelets. To give you an idea, here's my Alden LWB in Navy CXL with natural welt and metal eyelets that, I think, complement the shoe nicely. Ironically, the picture of the AE Steward above shows they would have brass eyelets, but the one that I got has tone-on-tone.

The last but not the least, I think that a loafer in navy suede would look pretty cool. Here's my Sebago (made by Rancourt? in Maine) in navy CXL for your reference.

David Copeland

Reaction score
So my question is this..if Black shoes seem to go with virtually nothing why is it such a common shoe? Is this anti black pants or black shoes just something of a fad like hopefully rolling up ones pants?
Every collection, in my opinion and others, needs a dress pair in black. The Allen Edmonds Web Site has many black shoes and boots with an option to see what dress pants, casual pants, and jeans looks like.

All my best,

David

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my question is this..if Black shoes seem to go with virtually nothing why is it such a common shoe? Is this anti black pants or black shoes just something of a fad like hopefully rolling up ones pants? :)

On to a different question - If you had to pick a shoe to have made in blue suede what would it be? I am in the process of trying to get a correct Spiaggia fitting blue suede and so far have not been a fan of the Gumlite sole or the odd golf ball heel lump on two so far - I will deal with it if I can get the below shoe for the $125 price that I paid. That being said if I can not I would like to get a blue suede made up and was curious what the thoughts were... I certainly could do a McCallister MTO with a red or black Dainite sole - I think going to the jefferson is overkill. Any thoughts on a Lexington done in blue suede...not limited to sale items either.

I have the Grayson in navy suede and I love it. If I had to do it again, Ill probably go for an MTO Lake Shore Drive (to take advantage of the sale price) on navy suede, chill tassel, red dianite and chili flat welt would be nice.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I own several shoes in navy suede, chamois and CXL. I am a big fan of the navy leathers but as you probably realize, navy shoes are going to be quite casual. This is why I wouldn't get a balmoral (Strand or Spiaggia for this matter) in navy suede as it sort of conflicts with the overall design and purpose of that shoe. This is why I'd go with the oxfords or loafers.

As far as the AE is concerned, I have two favorites: the Stewart (Leeds) make up for the Lands End Canvas and the MacNeil for the Freemans Sporting Club (FSC actually spells it as the McNeil for whatever reason). Both shoes have natural welts and natural edge trim which make a nice contrast with the navy suede.

If you are going for an MTO, I'd probably consider adding brass eyelets. To give you an idea, here's my Alden LWB in Navy CXL with natural welt and metal eyelets that, I think, complement the shoe nicely. Ironically, the picture of the AE Steward above shows they would have brass eyelets, but the one that I got has tone-on-tone.

The last but not the least, I think that a loafer in navy suede would look pretty cool. Here's my Sebago (made by Rancourt? in Maine) in navy CXL for your reference.

What color belts do you find yourself wearing with these?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Every collection, in my opinion and others, needs a dress pair in black. The Allen Edmonds Web Site has many black shoes and boots with an option to see what dress pants, casual pants, and jeans looks like.

All my best,

David

I don't think that means all that much when you can also do this:

luv2breformed

Reaction score

On to a different question - If you had to pick a shoe to have made in blue suede what would it be?

Black is generally formal. So it generally works best with formal stylings. This is why the black PA is such a common recommendation. Ofc, formal styling and formal color requires a formal outfit, ie a suit. Black is very useful in a suit and tie universe, the most in fact. Many people would hold the position that if you're going to wear a suit your shoes should be black, period.

Suits are on the decline nowadays, so it shouldn't be any wonder black shoes follow that a bit. As for the casual black shoe, it is kind of an anomaly. Just ask yourself what outfit does black shoes go well with that another color wouldn't be better?

To me the only answer is monochrome, a la mid to dark gray trousers, light gray jacket, white shirt, and black tie. Lose the tie if everything else is very casual.

Imagine with khaki pants. What else are you wearing? Light blue shirt and navy jacket? Whatever your choices, brown or bourbon shoes would look way better.

Black pants require black shoes, but again then I would just be doing a monochrome look which isn't very versatile.

I would like the following in navy suede:

Grayson
Mora 2.0
Player's shoe

cincikid

Reaction score
I don't think that means all that much when you can also do this:

FWIW, you can also match these with the Tux. At times, I wish AE folks were thoughtful enough to eliminate some ridiculous shoe-pant combinations.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

FWIW, you can also match these with the Tux. At times, I wish AE folks were thoughtful enough to eliminate some ridiculous shoe-pant combinations.

Yea, but then you'll have customers that want to wear them with a tux and AE will get crap for not having that option.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I either wear brown suede with blue stitching (Bonobos) or navy suede (Saks)

I have a navy suede belt (Trafalgar) that has contrast stitching similar to the Spiaggia.

I've worn it a few times, but I always feel a bit odd when I look at myself in the mirror with both on. I usually try on 4 or 5 different belts (brown, tan, braided, surcingle, etc) before deciding on one...but nothing ever looks perfect to me.

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
Black is generally formal. So it generally works best with formal stylings. This is why the black PA is such a common recommendation. Ofc, formal styling and formal color requires a formal outfit, ie a suit. Black is very useful in a suit and tie universe, the most in fact. Many people would hold the position that if you're going to wear a suit your shoes should be black, period.

Suits are on the decline nowadays, so it shouldn't be any wonder black shoes follow that a bit. As for the casual black shoe, it is kind of an anomaly. Just ask yourself what outfit does black shoes go well with that another color wouldn't be better?

To me the only answer is monochrome, a la mid to dark gray trousers, light gray jacket, white shirt, and black tie. Lose the tie if everything else is very casual.

Imagine with khaki pants. What else are you wearing? Light blue shirt and navy jacket? Whatever your choices, brown or bourbon shoes would look way better.

Black pants require black shoes, but again then I would just be doing a monochrome look which isn't very versatile.

I would like the following in navy suede:

Grayson
Mora 2.0
Player's shoe
Coincidentally, I got a pair of Aldens for JCrew in black pebble leather just this morning. I agree with you that black shoes do limit your choice of pants and jackets, but then again, I tend to wear darker pants in the winter (gray flannel to work and dark denim casually) so I envision wearing them at least once a week or so.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the Stewart a whole lot...even more than the Macneil in suede....I am a Sebago Handsewn fan also ... have considered a Navy boot from Rancourt in CXL or Cordovan

I have the Grayson in navy suede and I love it. If I had to do it again, Ill probably go for an MTO Lake Shore Drive (to take advantage of the sale price) on navy suede, chill tassel, red dianite and chili flat welt would be nice.

Probably looking to avoid a slip on as I am pretty good in that department with a bunch of colored Sebago's

I own a pair of navy suede Alden PTB's that I like very much. I think a pair of Kenilworth (or Leeds, if you prefer the 1-last) made up with navy suede would look pretty good. I guess the Lexington should look pretty close as well, and may be the preferable option with the sale going on now.

A pair of navy suede Strands or McCallister MTO should be nice too. Navy suede Strand would probably look similar to this pair of Aldens:
That is a nice looking shoe

cincikid

Reaction score
I like the Stewart a whole lot...even more than the Macneil in suede....I am a Sebago Handsewn fan also ... have considered a Navy boot from Rancourt in CXL or Cordovan

Probably looking to avoid a slip on as I am pretty good in that department with a bunch of colored Sebago's

That is a nice looking shoe
Halfnhalfnhalf recently posted pictures of his Rancourts in navy cordovan in the Rancourt thread. They are possibly the best looking boots I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads