• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Got this pair of black Park Aves from the Seconds Sale today. Anyone think I oughta send these back?

It's not all that noticeable and I could probably live with it, but I'm not sure if whatever they did to cover up that apparent split in the leather will end up rubbing off later and expose it. Thoughts?
Put them on with whatever pants you expect to wear, sit in a chair, and then cross your legs. If the blemish is on the upper side with crossed legs, then it may be more noticeable to others.

David

David Copeland

Reaction score
I have a pair of 9.5E Strands that fit well at the heel, but just a bit restricting on the toes and front half, like barely any room for toes to move. Should I get 9.5EE in the McAllister? I think that would give me enough toe width but dunno if thatll introduce heel slip. any insight appreciated.
Suggest a professional fit by a department manager at AE or Nordstroms in various lasts and styles.

David

luv2breformed

Reaction score

BB walnut fifth ave seconds. Some say calf and cotton don't mix but I like these pants with them.

Alrighty . . .

I see no incongruity between calf and cotton. However, I find this leg opening to be much too narrow. Don't get me wrong, I like a strong taper as much as the next guy, but it has to be proportional to your body type AND shoe size. Your feet look massive here even though they likely aren't. YMMV.

Also, navy + walnut is great imo.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to give unworn AE shell shoes a glow?

Saphir Reno + AE Crodovan cream

or

Saphir Reno + Saphir Neutral cordovan cream?

Last edited:

fourspin

Reaction score

or

Saphir Reno + Saphir Neutral cream?
I ordered Reno and Cordovan this week for my new (to me) MacNeils. Should arrive tomorrow, will try to post pics of my results.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

or

Saphir Reno + Saphir Neutral cordovan cream?

I ordered Reno and Cordovan this week for my new (to me) MacNeils. Should arrive tomorrow, will try to post pics of my results.

You could skip the Reno and go straight for the cordovan cream. I like it much better than Reno for shell. YMMV.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Ouch. Leaving high quality shoes to the open air of a room reminds me of raw bacon in the forest where the wasps will hone in for the damage. Brogued shoes may require tooth-pick types of tools to clean out the holes of they get too clogged.

I don't understand this fear. I have to think high quality leather can hold up to a bit of dust. Sure, if you leave your shoes unworn for months, they will dull and lose a bit of shine, but this is quickly remedied with a bit of polish and brushing.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Is it appropriate to offer critiques or criticisms in this thread? I only ask because I am relatively new here and don't want to ruffle any feathers.
nobody ever says anything negative to anybody on this forum... it's all snuggles and hugs here buddy!

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this fear. I have to think high quality leather can hold up to a bit of dust. Sure, if you leave your shoes unworn for months, they will dull and lose a bit of shine, but this is quickly remedied with a bit of polish and brushing.
I agree.
I think polish will/does clog punch holes more than dust.

If all else fails, there are shoe bags.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Alrighty . . .

I see no incongruity between calf and cotton. However, I find this leg opening to be much too narrow. Don't get me wrong, I like a strong taper as much as the next guy, but it has to be proportional to your body type AND shoe size. Your feet look massive here even though they likely aren't. YMMV.

Also, navy + walnut is great imo.
I personally like this look. I don't have any pants this narrow myself, but I think it looks good on certain guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads