• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Any thoughts on the the comparison between these two Strand-derivative casual options, the recently-added to clearance Elgins vs. the new Rush Streets?
Elgins, in Tan Saddle Waxy Leather, on clearance for $197: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4135_1_40000000001_-1_ Rush Streets in Golden Brown CXL for $325: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2005_1_40000000001_-1_
Think the price differential is worth it for the CXL, contrast piping, and the dainite sole (vs. double oak)?
I have the Elgin and think it's a great looking casual shoe. However, I really like the CXL and Dainite combination of the Rush Street, as to me, it is more versatile in that it works better during the winter (I store my Elgins for the winter). I'm not sure if the Rush Street is worth the $128 over the Elgin, but it's only a matter of time that the Rush Street will either be on sale during one of the next major AE sales, or be clearanced out in the not too distance future (this is just an educated guess based on most of AE's new shoe cycle). So perhaps you could wait a bit and get the Rush Street at a better price. Of course, if you prefer the look of the Elgin and don't mind using the leather sole on snow/ice (if you live somewhere with snow/ice) or storing them in the winter, then there's no real reason to wait unless you must have CXL.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on my next AE purchase. I want to add some Bourbon into my lineup. My current list is:

Black Flatirons
Brown Fifth Streets
Merlot McAllisters
Walnut Players
Walnut Strands

I really like the AE Bourbon, so I hope to have use these next pair of shoes as my go-to shoes for suits (I only wear suits a handful of times throughout the year), but also a little more versatile for business casual use with slacks and a button down.I like the clean look the Kenilworth or the Flatirons. I'm guessing many of you would recommend the Moras to add some monk straps to my lineup, but I guess I don't see the appeal of monk straps. I'm definitely open to hear any suggestions you SF might have. Thanks!

Never was a fan of buckles on shoes at all - picked up a used pair of AE on Ebay for winter use as previous owner had a half rubber sole put on-paid very little for them - turns out with some cleaning and a few wears I love them. Look great in black with everything I have worn them with. That Mora in Bourbon is beautiful...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually really like buckles on shoes. I like monkstraps a lot in both both shoe and boot form. Excessive and 'unfunctional' buckles are meh though.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for some advice on my next AE purchase. I want to add some Bourbon into my lineup. My current list is:

Black Flatirons

Brown Fifth Streets

Merlot McAllisters

Walnut Players

Walnut Strands

I really like the AE Bourbon, so I hope to have use these next pair of shoes as my go-to shoes for suits (I only wear suits a handful of times throughout the year), but also a little more versatile for business casual use with slacks and a button down.I like the clean look the Kenilworth or the Flatirons. I'm guessing many of you would recommend the Moras to add some monk straps to my lineup, but I guess I don't see the appeal of monk straps. I'm definitely open to hear any suggestions you SF might have. Thanks!

If you really want bourbon, how about the Hannover wholecut? That would be quite different from everything else you have.

Or vernon in the saddle brown?

Chili is also a great color, but currently only offered in apron toe dress shoes like bradley and lasalle.

But since you don't have any loafers, or anything in suede, I would recommend the patriot in brogue suede. If you don't like loafers , then there are quite a few suede models in clearance right now: players, strands, mojaves, etc

How about a chukka, for that matter? Unless you want to keep it dressy .

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We seem to run in cycles with at least once a year a debate ensuing over this issue. I've never heard a bad word about Strands, and I think the 5 last generally compares favorably with some SF favorites like Loake (Capital?), Carmina (Forest) and Meermin (Hiro). The complaint about Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues is about how stubby the toe cap looks due to the protruding welt, the six eyelet design and the cap toe line being too far from the vamp. I seem to recall one poster (Quadcammer maybe?) formally announcing that he was no longer recommending the Park Avenue to SF noobs.
If I were to do it all over again, I would have forgone the my black AE Park Aves for something a little less conservative, but a black cap toe still. The short cap toe makes it a little hard to wear for anything other than conservative business situations.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound defensive and my comment wasn't directed at you in particular. AE's shoes and belts suit my eye just fine. They better, considering I own more than 30 pairs of the former and around 10 of the latter. It probably has to do with the fact that I was raised in the Midwest and have a corresponding worldview. I fully recognize though that others' eyes are not the same as mine, and I would never intentionally say mine are somehow better than theirs.

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If AE ever offered a boot like Alden's George, I would be on it in a heartbeat.
I sold a vintage pair of AE Jodhpurs a while back.
I wish they would bring them back, so I could get an MTO in shell.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound defensive and my comment wasn't directed at you in particular. AE's shoes and belts suit my eye just fine. They better, considering I own more than 30 pairs of the former and around 10 of the latter. It probably has to do with the fact that I was raised in the Midwest and have a corresponding worldview. I fully recognize though that others' eyes are not the same as mine, and I would never intentionally say mine are somehow better than theirs.

cheers.gif

bgp001

Reaction score
Does anyone own a shoe in the cognac Dublin? Can anyone comment on its water resistance vis-a-vis Chromexcel? I may run a test regardless....
I don't own any CXL, but I have the Ridgeway's and I've been fairly impressed with the Cognac Dublin leather. I wore them for a couple of miles in 5-7" of snow, and my feet and the leather made it through unscathed. A couple days after, I accidentally stepped in 4" of brown slush, and again, it made it through fine and didn't even get my feet wet. I would advise against whatever edge dressing they put on the Ridgeway's though, that has taken a beating.

Subutai

Reaction score

They are from the "Style Forum Enabler Collection" actually.
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
I was browsing on here one morning when word that the Cleveland AE store had Shell Townley's for $299. I called and I got 'em!

I think my entire collection is from this line!

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talked to Chris at the Shoebank again today regarding the brown cordovan Dundee. He did confirm the stock at the warehouse, he's going to ship it to him and call me back in a day or two when it arrives. He is going to inspect them personally, I let him know if it had any major issues with the toe areas I would be sending it back. To avoid the hassle because I am in Canada he wants to make sure the pair will work for me before shipping them out.

Overall some fantastic customer service so far.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. Amazon has black jeffersons in my size for $300. with the 20% off coupon, that's $240 for first quality indy line.

That's an awesome deal. I just wish I could get myself to want this shoe enough to buy it. Just don't need another black shoe at this time, especially not a dressy wingtip.

PLUS, I've got a Shaker Heights MTO, and Rutledge and Patriot seconds all on the way.

Consider this a PSA to anyone in 10.5 3E...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn. Amazon has black jeffersons in my size for $300. with the 20% off coupon, that's $240 for first quality indy line.

That's an awesome deal. I just wish I could get myself to want this shoe enough to buy it. Just don't need another black shoe at this time, especially not a dressy wingtip.

PLUS, I've got a Shaker Heights MTO, and Rutledge and Patriot seconds all on the way.

Consider this a PSA to anyone in 10.5 3E...

What's your shaker height mto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads