• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was a one of those "right place at the right time" days. I was at my local menswear / shoe store and the AE rep was there with the new Spring 2014 shoes and the preliminary Fall 2014 shoes. There are some great shoes coming in the Fall - suede, boots, loafers, etc. Lots of good stuff. He stated it's guaranteed they will all make actual production, but I bet most of them make it.

And I think I found my next purchase - the Rush Street. They look good on the website and they look better in person. He had a pair and I am going to have my local store order some in my size.

Here are the Rush Streets.

Chris

Wow, those look great! Love the color and the contrasting laces. And maybe I'm just a blind idiot (or I've had one too many rum and cokes tonight), but I don't see the difference between these and Strands. Also, a quick Google search shows Rush Streets available on the AE website as well as Sherman Bros. for $325, as compared to the current retail price of $365 for Strands. At any rate, I'm definitely interested in getting a pair.

Last edited:

bgp001

Reaction score
Anyone with the Brooks Bros. version of 5-last shoes care to comment on something here? When the shoes were new, did you experience a sensation of your foot sitting higher in the shoe due to the Poron insole, and as a result, slight heel slippage compared to the normal AE shoes? This is precisely what I'm experiencing with my new Brooks PAs that I got during the current sale. They fit and feel fine, but there is slight heel slippage. I'm wondering if this will go away as the shoes break in. I'm thinking it will, since a) the soles will soften up and become more flexible, and b) the Poron insoles will conform to my feet, and my feet will sink in a bit. At least in theory.

Any thoughts?

I have a couple pairs of BB Fifth Aves, and yes, I do get some slippage. I've had both for over 6 months now, it has not gotten better but it doesn't bother me much. No slippage on my Ridgeways or Park Aves (both 5 last).

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the?! I think the Carlyle just lost its wheeled edge! A real bummer because I loved this feature. Boooo!!!

From the front page:

And from the shoe's listing with newly updated photo:

:(

Last edited:

Subutai

Reaction score
Hey guys,
below are pics of my latest MTO. I was looking to create a very casual, supremely comfortable shoe for casual weekend wear. These are essentially Leeds with distressed olive leather with a chili welt and harrier rubber sole:

compared to Alden's natty cxl barrie last, just for fun:

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

Wow, those look great! Love the color and the contrasting laces. And maybe I'm just a blind idiot (or I've had one too many rum and cokes tonight), but I don't see the difference between these and Strands. Also, a quick Google search shows Rush Streets available on the AE website as well as Sherman Bros. for $325, as compared to the current retail price of $365 for Strands. At any rate, I'm definitely interested in getting a pair.

I'm pretty sure the rush street and strands are the same thing except the former is the cxl version and I love cxl

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Hey guys, below are pics of my latest MTO. I was looking to create a very casual, supremely comfortable shoe for casual weekend wear. These are essentially Leeds with distressed olive leather with a chili welt and harrier rubber sole: compared to Alden's natty cxl barrie last, just for fun:
Very nice, those are some casual shoes. Interesting how the distressed leather looks like your CXL. Wonder how they'll wear. -Mike

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
below are pics of my latest MTO. I was looking to create a very casual, supremely comfortable shoe for casual weekend wear. These are essentially Leeds with distressed olive leather with a chili welt and harrier rubber sole:

Well done! I'm generally not a fan of the Harrier sole but it looks just right on that makeup. How long ago did you order them?

feyy

Reaction score

For my first MTO I've been planning to recreate the alden 9501 using the leeds/gridiron pattern. I'm not well versed in AE's terminology though. Would you have an idea of what AE edging would be most similar? I'd send Allison a picture of the alden, but i'm worried if that's too tacky LOL

Leeds
on tone stitching
split reverse storm welt
natural welt, w/ beige stitching?
double leather soles
"toasted" edging? i don't know what name refers to which of their edging colors. i guess if anything natural edging would do.

Subutai

Reaction score
Very nice, those are some casual shoes. Interesting how the distressed leather looks like your CXL. Wonder how they'll wear.

-Mike

Well done! I'm generally not a fan of the Harrier sole but it looks just right on that makeup. How long ago did you order them?
Thank you gentlemen! I too am looking forward to seeing how they break in. Unlike the Neumoks, I did opt to have these lined, but off the bat they are amazingly light and comfortable. I ordered them back in mid-Nov; initially I requested no piping, but Allison said they fell apart, so they had to be remade.

For my first MTO I've been planning to recreate the alden 9501 using the leeds/gridiron pattern. I'm not well versed in AE's terminology though. Would you have an idea of what AE edging would be most similar? I'd send Allison a picture of the alden, but i'm worried if that's too tacky LOL

Leeds
on tone stitching
split reverse storm welt
natural welt, w/ beige stitching?
double leather soles
"toasted" edging? i don't know what name refers to which of their edging colors. i guess if anything natural edging would do.

FWIW I've definitely sent Allison a picture of Alden's before :) I felt odd, but she didn't seem to mind and is still very friendly and helpful. That said, "toasted" or "chili" edge is the same and seems to be closest to Alden's "antique" edge. I, and others here, use AE's chili edge dressing on Alden's antiqued edges. Hope that helps! Also, I think AE just calls it "split reverse welt" without the "storm."

chris45

Reaction score
@halfnhalfnhalf FYI, my birthday is in March so if you are itching to help clear shoes from the AE factory/stores, I'll be here
peepwall[1].gif

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen! I too am looking forward to seeing how they break in. Unlike the Neumoks, I did opt to have these lined, but off the bat they are amazingly light and comfortable. I ordered them back in mid-Nov; initially I requested no piping, but Allison said they fell apart, so they had to be remade.

FWIW I've definitely sent Allison a picture of Alden's before :) I felt odd, but she didn't seem to mind and is still very friendly and helpful. That said, "toasted" or "chili" edge is the same and seems to be closest to Alden's "antique" edge. I, and others here, use AE's chili edge dressing on Alden's antiqued edges. Hope that helps! Also, I think AE just calls it "split reverse welt" without the "storm."
I use Neutral on the antique edge, so I don't darken it at all.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered a pair of burgundy shell daltons during this most recent seconds sale, but I'm not sure if the defect is acceptable. There is a significant defect in the shell itself, and I wanted to get your opinions on the severity of the issue. On the right boot, along the upper outer eyelets and along some of the mouth, there is a rough and scaly patch that is very distinct from the rest of the shell. It seems almost as though the finish of the shell is breaking down. The upper is much more flexible there as well compared to the rest of the boot. I am concerned whether this will affect the longevity of the boot, given the location of the defect is in a high stress area, with additional friction from the laces. Picture attached. Thanks for the input.
This looks similar to what happens to shell when it drys out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads